How to PASS Grade 1

Because I have not sung any English song before. I can strum along to backing track or someone’s singing but I’m afraid of singing myself.

1 Like

if singing prevents you to play the songs so maybe you should just focus on playing guitar ?

1 Like

Playing and singing when you are learning the first chords makes it even more challenging. I have been playing for 7 months and I’m not even trying yet… the most important thing right now is to learn new songs and get your chord changes right.

4 Likes

Tonky there is no requirement to sing at any Grade, that is purely optional. This is all about learning to play, so do not worry about trying to sing please. Justin’s recommendation for passing Grade is to PLAY 5 songs not to play and sing them. Hope that helps.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

No wonder why I took 4 months+ time in grade 1. It was quite an experience. But as you and others said I will focus on learning guitar first instead of juggling guitar and singing when I have just started.

Singing along is the real fun. Ear training helped a lot in my singing and also turned my guitar practice sessions into singing sessions :smiling_face_with_tear:. The most fun part is to try to sing each note on fretboard which is certainly impossible for me at this stage and quite a pain for whosoever is listening to me. :joy:

6 Likes

What’s the best way to learn the songs? Just play them over and over until I just know the chords and changes? I am trying to keep it simple Love Me Do, Louie Louie, Wild Thing, Twist and Shout, and Wish you where (Hardest one since 6 chords but lost my bro about 6 months ago and really want to learn it.).

Any tips or tricks?

3 Likes

For learning songs, I think watching the videos that Justin has done on these songs will be really beneficial and yeah much to the detriment of people you share a home with, you do often have to play the same songs over and over to properly learn. If you are struggling on a song breaking it into bit sized chunks can be really helpful.

When it comes to memorising songs this is what I do. I have a physical folder with my songs. I always manually write or type out the chords myself rather than just print out a tab. If I am playing along to a song with the chords written above the words I don’t tend to learn it, however if I make an effort to write it out in my own words it tends to sink in more and you start to notice the pattern of the song. Usually I add in some hand written tips like strumming patterns or things I want to focus on for that particularly song.

It becomes more of a cheat sheet or a memory jogger than anything to play directly from.

I imagine the same goes for guitar apps. Great tools to learn and get timing right but not a great way to memorise songs.

3 Likes

Hi Darren, main advice I can share is to go slow and don’t try and do too much at once when you’re learning new songs. Strip it right back to playing one chord on the first beat of each bar and that’s it, this allows you to understand the tempo and rhythm and focus on changing chords at the right time. Once you’re comfortable there then you can begin to mix up strumming a little which may identify chord changes that need a little work in the context of the song.

Are you using the JG app? Or any other online play-along tool? The app, and others, allow you to slow down a song which can be super helpful in the early stages of a new song. I also agree with @MorseMooseGreyGoose , writing out your own sheets can be really helpful to embed stuff in your mind, but it’s a fair investment of time and only worth it if you know, in yourself, that you learn well this way.

Best of luck with the songs and keep having fun!
:heart: :guitar:

1 Like

Another tip I have found useful recently is to focus down on any areas in the song that are proving difficult, as well as playing through from start to finish. If you have a daily practice log you could spend 5 minutes on a particular chord change or finger position that is causing an issue and work on that. Justin has a very useful tutorial on the best way of practicing.
For learning lyrics I often grab a screenshot on my phone and keep running over the words when I’m out for a walk. My brain is rather older than yours so it can take a while to get into my memory bank!
Richard

1 Like

@Rendar There are some good tips in this topic - started by a Grade 2 player also finding this a challenge.
I hope that helps. Cheers :slight_smile: | Richard | JustinGuitar Approved Teacher, Official Guide & Moderator

Hello Darren @Rendar, I’m very sorry to hear, that you’ve lost your brother. I can totally understand, that you like to learn to play a particular song to express your feelings.
Wish you were here is definitely a challenge, but maybe that’s exactly what might help you right now.

Do you want to learn to play the songs or to play and sing? Without singing, it probably won’t take too long to memorize the easier songs. As others have already said, write out the chords and figure out the chords structure. And then, of course, play it, play it, play it :smiley:.
If you like to sing along, as well, it might last considerably longer. But it’s so worth it :star_struck:.
Normally, I concentrate on the playing and the singing part seperately. I want to feel quite confident with each part, before I mix them together. Some lyrics come ease, others don’t. So, don’t get frustrated if some songs need more time and effort than others.
All the best :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Thanks. The good thing is I pretty much know the words to the songs I want to play so it will be just playing/singing at same time that will be hard.

Thanks!

1 Like

I can play Wish you where here decently, still having some issues with C chord changes so been working on them a lot last week or so. Learning the chords for WYWH and memorizing them maybe a bit more difficult than the other songs.

Most of the songs I picked I know the lyrics from listening to them all my life so that will make it easier but playing while singing is the tricky part and sure it will take some time. I figure I won’t worry about singing until I get the chords/song memorized.

One thing I am in no hurry, If it takes me 1 month or 3 just want to get it right before I move onto Grade 2.

And Thanks for the condolences for my brother.

2 Likes

I am 50 years old so maybe not older than me? The good thing is all of the songs I picked I know the words from listening to them and being a fan of classic type rock. I use the justin song app that also has the words so that helps as well.

For me it’s just learning the chords of the song. I guess the good thing is most of the songs I been playing/using to practice since module 2.

1 Like

Yes, learning from JG song app. And the good thing I been playing the songs for weeks because used them for practice and for Love Me Do started around 80 BPM but now playing it at 146 BPM. Just as much as I played it still really don’t know it.

I will try with writing chords down.

1 Like

65 here!

I have the hardest time trying to remember songs without tabs or chord sheet in front of me. Not sure if it’s my age (67) or what. Also I have 5 songs I’m learning, but I’ve set my bar kind of high. The main one taking the longest is Pink Floyd’s “Wish you were here”. I’m almost there with that one but it’s taken a while due to the mix of chord and individual notes. I’m determined to get it polished and ready. I want to move on to grade 2, but need to I nail down my 5 songs.

Hi jomal.
Don`t get too worked up about Wish You Were Here as it is used in the first lessons of Grade 2 as riff practice. Plus the scale work you will also be doing will help towards it.
I am of a similar age as you and have just started Grade 2. I also struggled trying to remember the songs and chords and found it very helpful to jam along with Justin in his Nitsuj practice sessions for Grade 1.

1 Like

At 50 I just kick myself not learning to play sooner.

1 Like