How to PASS Grade 1

@Rendar There are some good tips in this topic - started by a Grade 2 player also finding this a challenge.
I hope that helps. Cheers :slight_smile: | Richard | JustinGuitar Approved Teacher, Official Guide & Moderator

Hello Darren @Rendar, I’m very sorry to hear, that you’ve lost your brother. I can totally understand, that you like to learn to play a particular song to express your feelings.
Wish you were here is definitely a challenge, but maybe that’s exactly what might help you right now.

Do you want to learn to play the songs or to play and sing? Without singing, it probably won’t take too long to memorize the easier songs. As others have already said, write out the chords and figure out the chords structure. And then, of course, play it, play it, play it :smiley:.
If you like to sing along, as well, it might last considerably longer. But it’s so worth it :star_struck:.
Normally, I concentrate on the playing and the singing part seperately. I want to feel quite confident with each part, before I mix them together. Some lyrics come ease, others don’t. So, don’t get frustrated if some songs need more time and effort than others.
All the best :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Thanks. The good thing is I pretty much know the words to the songs I want to play so it will be just playing/singing at same time that will be hard.

Thanks!

1 Like

I can play Wish you where here decently, still having some issues with C chord changes so been working on them a lot last week or so. Learning the chords for WYWH and memorizing them maybe a bit more difficult than the other songs.

Most of the songs I picked I know the lyrics from listening to them all my life so that will make it easier but playing while singing is the tricky part and sure it will take some time. I figure I won’t worry about singing until I get the chords/song memorized.

One thing I am in no hurry, If it takes me 1 month or 3 just want to get it right before I move onto Grade 2.

And Thanks for the condolences for my brother.

2 Likes

I am 50 years old so maybe not older than me? The good thing is all of the songs I picked I know the words from listening to them and being a fan of classic type rock. I use the justin song app that also has the words so that helps as well.

For me it’s just learning the chords of the song. I guess the good thing is most of the songs I been playing/using to practice since module 2.

1 Like

Yes, learning from JG song app. And the good thing I been playing the songs for weeks because used them for practice and for Love Me Do started around 80 BPM but now playing it at 146 BPM. Just as much as I played it still really don’t know it.

I will try with writing chords down.

1 Like

65 here!

I have the hardest time trying to remember songs without tabs or chord sheet in front of me. Not sure if it’s my age (67) or what. Also I have 5 songs I’m learning, but I’ve set my bar kind of high. The main one taking the longest is Pink Floyd’s “Wish you were here”. I’m almost there with that one but it’s taken a while due to the mix of chord and individual notes. I’m determined to get it polished and ready. I want to move on to grade 2, but need to I nail down my 5 songs.

Hi jomal.
Don`t get too worked up about Wish You Were Here as it is used in the first lessons of Grade 2 as riff practice. Plus the scale work you will also be doing will help towards it.
I am of a similar age as you and have just started Grade 2. I also struggled trying to remember the songs and chords and found it very helpful to jam along with Justin in his Nitsuj practice sessions for Grade 1.

1 Like

At 50 I just kick myself not learning to play sooner.

1 Like