How to play score

On the score below, how do I play the tie that goes from the first bar to the second?
It looks like the open 2nd string should be allowed to ring into the first note of the second bar, but the last note of the first bar after the open 2nd is a 1st fret 2nd string. Not sure how to read this. Thanks!

To me that looks like an open second string note followed by a hammer-on on the first fret and pull-off back to the open string.

I was just commenting on this notation style in another thread:

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you!

1 Like

Does a hammer on work here, isn’t a slur meant to be smooth, so to speak.

R

It’s all in the delivery…

To me as the slur is from an open string it could suggest the use of a whammy bar or use of pressing down on the string behind the nut, if it’s an acoustic piece then it’s the latter!

Fingerstyle or hybrid picking because there are some pinched notes.
The last four notes if bar 1 are picked open tk hammer-on 1 then picked open to hammer-on 1 again. This last note is then pulled-off on the very first beat of bar 2 with a simultaneous picked note on fret 3 of the 6th string.

Think of chord shapes B minor (no barre, open 1st string) then A minor in bar 1 going to G then either Dsus2 / F#.

Thank you! Not that I am playing anything over my head or anything…:man_facepalming:t3:

Thanks for the cord positions. For finger style and classical I need to put more into determining the best cord positions for the picked notes.

A hammer on is about a smooth as you can get when transitioning from an open note to a fretted one on most guitars.

If the first note was fretted, then you could, of course, do a bend, but bends tend to be notated differently.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

In my experience the tied notes are slides and not hammer ons.

Except that since it involves open strings it is probably a hammer on.

1 Like

Good luck with this move ! A couple of similar sections have proved a roadblock in my Acoustic Blues course. One is a slide into the beat, ones a hammer and then like this a pull off. Found it akin to patting my head, rubbing my belly and riding a unicycle with one pedal !
But the tab is expressed in the same way

:smiley:

I’m unsure of the tempo.
The key signature is a bit of a mystery too. In the notation there are no flat or sharp symbols suggesting the key of C. But within the score accidentals show every B and every F# note as sharp.
To me that suggests the key of F:
F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E
But when I write the score in Guitar Pro 8 and change the key to F it does not match what is shown in the diagram in post #1.
I cannot replicate the exact accidental notation in Guitar Pro no matter which key signature I apply so this is an anomaly I can not explain.
Anyway.
Here is the score in GP8 with and without (possible) chord shapes showing.

And here is a 40bpm audio version - four repeats with a bar of quarter beats between:

The trickiest part to play will be the grace note on fret 3 of the 3rd string towards the end of the second bar showing.

Yours is a slightly different score. Here is a bit more of it. I can link to the whole score if you like. It is Capo 2, 75 bpm.

It is “A Whiter Shade of Pale” arraigned by Martin Tallstrom. Way beyond my level, but I am learning a lot slowly grinding away at this. Free tab on his website.

Here’s mine side-by-side above yours:

The frets / strings tabs match but a couple of accidentals do not??
It is “A Whiter Shade of Pale” … Free tab on his website.
I would like to check it out
:slight_smile:

Link to his free tabs. More than just this one sound great, but all of them really are out of my league (as of the moment).

There are some small differences between the pdf and guitarpro tab. I believe I am using the guitarpro one.

Please, no one learn this in 3 weeks and post a brilliant video, I have been working on this for a while and will feel bad! Just kidding, have at it and enjoy.

And don’t forget to skip the light fandango…

Have you compared with his video

I have watched that a billion times, but I need to slow it down a lot. Just couldn’t figure out that one notation.

Great video.
2 bars start at approx 38 seconds.
The grace note in the tab - he doesn’t play it, so it seems!
And no wonder.
Tricky bit and unnecessary.

If even the arraigning guitarist doesn’t play the score right, I won’t either. I will play my version to my ability. It won’t be like his playing, I just hope it sounds good. Then it will be good!

It is a lot to remember…

1 Like