How To Play The D Chord

The Oliver Junior has a slightly narrower nut width of 43mm

Spec here.

2 mm does not sound like much, but IME tiny differences in guitar dimensions can mean big differences in playability.

More experienced players can change their technique to compensate, but this is lot more difficult for beginners.

Might be well worthwhile to try some guitars with wider necks at a local guitar shop, and see if that helps with the problem.

Found this one difficult for a 56 year old beginner, I know what I have to do but the fingers just keep touching the adjacent strings giving dud note. so frustrating and I think that’s what always stops me progressing or enjoying learning.

1 Like

@Gmeister don’t give up Gerry the D chord can be tricky to begin with but persevere it will soon be one of the easier chords for you to play - honest! Practice forming the chord and strumming each of the strings in turn when you get it sounding clean lift the fingers off then reform and repeat, 5 min practice per day will soon make a huge difference.

4 Likes

Hi Gerry and welcome to the community firstly!

This is all very recognisable for everyone so please don’t get too frustrated, we genuinely have all been there and fully understand!

My own suggestion is to really focus on Justin’s chord perfect exercise / principle. Slow everything right down, get your fingers placed, strum each string, and adjust as needed. We’ve all had chords that don’t “work” right at first, but perseverance really does get results. It’s all about developing muscle memory and D is quite a cramped up chord. How are you finding A and E?

If needed feel free to try and take a picture of your fretting for D and folks here can look and offer advice, could be wrist angle or something else but you’ll never be short of help here. Above all do keep at it and trust that it will come.

:+1::guitar::heart: