How To Play The E Chord

Adjusting the saddle height isn’t risky but since you bought it last week, it would be correct of them to check that for you. I suspect the guitar might need a setup to ensure good playability, stability and intonation (=making sure all notes sound correct)

2 Likes

I am ok playing the third string as long as I am close to the fret. The problem I am having is that the SECOND string is dead. I’m assuming my index finger is resting against it. Any suggestions? I am arching my wrist as much as I can to try and clear my index finger away from the second string.

1 Like

2 and a half weeks in I felt I was doing better than expected, but the E Chord has shown my first finger is just cataching the next string down - masked by fingers on lower frets for the A and D chords

Back to trying to reposition my index finger and hand arching to get A & D note perfect laying down finger by finger

1 Like

Snap here!

Did you solve your issue?

1 Like

@Hibs06 Probably too late to answer, I hope by now you have moved on and are making good progress. :slight_smile:

Your diagnosis is probably correct. In the early stages, when your finger tip ends are soft, applying pressure onto the strings makes the flesh spread out and intefere with other strings. That eases as your tip hardens. Also, press down with minimal pressure to make the note sound out. The arch you need to make is the curl in your finger joints. I’m unsure how you are arching your wrist and hope it isn’t moving your hand and arm out of position into an uncomfortable posture.

Yes - the strum-pick-strum technique of forming a chord, strumming very slowly each string then strumming again gives all indicators as to whether the formation is good. And, if not, the need to make micro adjustments in fingers, hand, wrist, forearm, arm, body, posture etc.

Hi, loving learning the guitar. The biggest problem I am coming across when doing chords is that my fingers are too fat and I am hitting the string below as well as the correct string. I have only been learning for 3 weeks, but it is frustrating that I have not sussed out how to only press the string that I want to press.
I have started practicing just using one finger at a time and keep playing that note until I can get it so that I do not touch the lower string. Is this the best way of training my fingers or is there a better way?
Sorry for such a long post as my first post.

Tony

Hey @TonyHS,

I promise you your challenge is not because your fingers are fat, it is a common challenge for most beginners.

Later, you will want to consciously choose between muting the lower or upper string and not muting because you only want to ring the strings of your choice.

It is a good idea to work finger by finger and then try to do 2, then 3 at once. Even at professional levels, guitarists sometimes place some fingers of a chord and start playing it while the other fingers are just finding their places.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Hi @elevatortrim , Thanks. I did wonder if it was just the size of my short stubby fingers :wink:

Hi,

Justin keeps emphasizing placing the thumb on the back of the neck to develop the muscle for barre chords, but my wrist feels more strained when I do that. Should I continue to do so or just keep the thumb above the neck (like Justin naturally does) since it feels more comfortable?

Hi Tony, another thing to consider is that your callouses will get harder with time, so your fingertips get more defined. Your fingertips won’t spread out as much while pressing strings down as when the tips are soft at the beginning. That makes it a lot easier.

1 Like

Hi @TonyHS and welcome to the community.
Your finger problem will ease with dedicated and conscious practice and attention to placement, with micro adjustments where necessary. And it will ease as your finger tips harden and you develop callouses - your fleshy ends will stay firm and not splay out as much.

The best way to practice is with the chords and using the Chord Perfect Practice exercise. Justin introduces this immediately in the lesson for the very first chord he teaches … it is applicable to all chords.

I hope that helps.
Cheers.
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like