How To: Thumb & Finger Strums Lesson on JustinGuitar

Hi everyone, I’d like to know how you got around to performing the slap or percussive hit on an electric guitar?

Yep, kept practising, and as I did it got more relaxed, and came together. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This helped…I think. Still just starting on this - but agree, it seems to be using a bit different arm and hand position. You can see Justin is hitting just the E and A (maybe) with the fleshy part of his palm near the thumb, after leading with his strumming finger. Easier to do that with the hand doing more of an up / down motion, from what I can tell, as opposed to a wrist flick like with a percussive strum. Initially I tried doing it more like a regular percussive strum but that seems all wrong as the strings won’t ring out…so instead of leading with the palm/side of hand with a chop like on a percussive strum, it is leading with the finger, then chopping the E with the fleshy base of the thumb…I think.

1 Like

Short nails + electric guitar xd Not the best combo for this lesson. But it’s good, keep it interesting!

1 Like

I didn’t understand why G to D is a Fifth…shouldn’t be a C instead of D?

yeah this is a really useful tecnique for acoustic/classic guitar, not electric ahhaah

G - A - B - C - D - E - F#

D is the fifth note of the G major scale, so G to D makes a fifth interval.