Humidity control - yay or nay

:joy:

All the best and hopefully you recover quicklyā€¦being sick in the heat is double :confounded: :confounded: :confounded:
:ice_cube: :ice_cube: :ice_cube: :beverage_box: :ice_cube: :ice_cube: :ice_cube:

1 Like

Now, I had no idea the they made packs that maintained a ballance.

TY for this info :slight_smile:

R

1 Like

:ice_cube: :bath: lol

1 Like

The 82% is midnight and the peak at 91 and 92 % was 6 am today in my area of the UK. so 6 hours of pretty high saturation I think!. Although short lived its the constant wild swing that might make me pause for thought on this. !

I think in this instance I will err on the side of caution, I will put the guitar away on the weekends when my partner is home with the packs in.

R

1 Like

Hi Rachel @Libitina, maybe this has already been said and I missed it, but: just be sure youā€™re measuring the humidity in your house - best place is in the room you store your guitar in!

3 Likes

@Libitina Rachel,

I donā€™t mean to scare you, but you might want to look at this topic, which describes my experience:

A few days of 70% or more humidity probably wonā€™t hurt, but if it stretches into weeks you might have a problem.

1 Like

Yes, just looking a small hygrometer to test the house.

R.

TY

2 Likes

Rachel @Libitina
As I said not aware I have in the NE of England a problem with humidity. As it happens we have one of those weather stations that measure temperature, humidity etc inside and outside. The inside sensor is in the study where my guitar resides not in case. Before I did the post this morning the inside was 57% outside 91% (it was raining outside). Tonight 57% inside outside 58%. As said not aware I have had any issue with humidity but with temperature, when I take it the guitar club particular in the winter as it is a church hall, much colder than at home it takes a while before it adjusts to the new temperature before it is worthwhile tuning.
Michael

1 Like

I should be saying yay, as I am concerned about humidity control.
That said. I donā€™t do anything about it. Short of keeping ā€˜meā€™ cool, or warm depending on the season. I donā€™t have a hydrometer so I really donā€™t know what the humitiy is in my house. All I know is that I keep ā€˜meā€™ comfortable.

As for my guitars. So far Iā€™ve no negative consequences. They are all stored in their cases except for the one Iā€™m using today which just sits on a guitar stand for use. When Iā€™m done with it for the day, back into itā€™s case it goes.

fwiw. I had 2 guitars prior to me getting back into playing. One of these guitars were from my youth. A acoustic 12 string. The other guitar I got in about 1999 is a gibson l6-s. I quit playing shortly there after and both them guitars sat in their cases, unopened for 20+ years. They were in my spare bedroom where I donā€™t have the heat on, nor let the a/c get to that room when itā€™s summer time. They both are still servicable after all that time w/o use. For that matter, they still sit there as Iā€™ve got me some new guitars that I like to play.

While I feel like I may be treading on thin ice. Iā€™ve done nothing to mod my behavior.

So far. No ill consequences on any count.
Still feel I should do something about it, but w/o consequences I find it hard to mod my behavior.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the middle about 8 miles South of Birmingham, I donā€™t have any problems with most of my guitars but I am more careful with an Acoustic thatā€™s all solid woods (Freshman Apollo 40CE), it does move and starts to become inconsistent with tuning but in a hard case and a few bags of Silica gel itā€™s fine. I am a bit surprised that your 114CE is moving enough to need a neck reset - I had a 214CE that moved like my Freshman and was a bit surprised by it being affected like it was, generally laminated woods donā€™t move like solid wood, maybe itā€™s to do with Taylor construction methods :man_shrugging:
Drying out is much more serious than a bit of excess humidity but the amount of excess humidity the instrument will tolerate is an unknown and can only be found out by checking setup and tuning frequently, if the tuning is on the move that is indicative of wood movement so needs closely monitoring.

3 Likes

The top on the 114ce is solid spruce, so may partly explain the problem. It also has a very thin finish on it which will not offer very much protection. I donā€™t know how much bracing there is on the top but the back has no bracing at all - it is a sheet of 2 ply sapele. It is mainly the body that has been affected, the neck relief has not changed much.

I have a dehumidifier in my house and keeps humidity at the level I want it. Never a problem for my guitars.

3 Likes

Also I live in New Jersey and the humidity is like soup

1 Like

I have my AC on in the summer so that takes care of the high humidity . Spring and fall shouldnā€™t be a problem for any one. But the winter comes and the heating system dries out everything.
I bought some Bluetooth sensors and Base station That monitors temperature and humidity. I believe it was about $30. I leave my guitars in the case when the heating season comes and put humidification in the cases when they get below 30%.
It seems to work great for me and it was very cheap. Better to know what the humidity is than to guess.

2 Likes

I got my hygrometers a few days ago and theyā€™ve been registering about 70% and where I am ATM its quite high this last night and this morning at about 90-95% dropping not to 70. But my partners weeked iā€™ve putt the guitar in its case for a few days. Also monitoring inside and ill note what it is tomorrow.

R

Are you sure youā€™re reading the hydrometer correctly. If that is the humidity in your house in the UK then the condensation must be running down your walls!

2 Likes

Actually those came off a weather app. Iā€™ve never really trusted weather app data tbh.

R

This was 6am.

Hi Rachel, the humidity indoors and outdoors can vary greatly. Where I live, the humidity at night has been going to the mid 80s, but the hygrometers in the house rarely go over 50%. Of course, this changes significantly depending on AC or heat, or even fans. Mind the humidity in the room your guitars are in, and youā€™ll be fine!

That I think is very building dependant, Iā€™m a mid terrace upperfloor flat insulated 4 sides and the other 2 face east/West so itā€™s a little cooker lol.

I have a fan above the bed which has been running non stop for months now. :cry: and the hygrometer is sitting at 72 atm.

Northolt data this month, we even hit 100% one day.

Bedroom Hygrometer

Ugh!!! Agree itā€™s building-dependent, but whew, thatā€™s humid!

1 Like