GDPiper169 - July 2022 - Hurt - trial recording

Hurt Trial - YouTube I haven’t tried to sing in probably 40 years. I think I can play and sing this song, just not at the same time. :crazy_face: If you watch, you’ll see what I mean.
I don’t know if anyone else has had an issue with video files getting corrupted when downloaded from Google photos. If so, I’d like to know if you found the problem or solution.

8 Likes

I really liked this! I’d like to hear it with the vocal turned up a couple of notches.

I recorded this with a cell phone, so the only way I can turn up the vocal is to sing louder or play softer. I don’t have a camera, microphone and mixer. This is my first try at this song. I think to improve on it I’ll have to completely memorize the music and lyrics.

Oh no, Gregory, the one thing that was wrong with this was you stopped halfway, I was really enjoying it.

I think you are well on your way. I enjoyed both your singing and playing. As you say, just keep playing the song, and the more you have the guitar on almost autopilot with the lyrics on effortless recall, the smoother the delivery will become.

One of our members (RIP and his name just escapes me) made some recordings using initially the earbuds and mic that come with the phone and later bought a better quality set. He ran the cable up and hung it off his shirt collar. That worked reasonably well to raise the vocal level and reduce the guitar a little. Perhaps something to try if you have one of those buds with mic sets.

I’ve never used Google Photo to can’t comment. YouTube works just fine. And if you are anxious about who has access to the video then set video access to ‘Unlisted’. Then only people who have a link will see it, which would just be people accessing the Community.

Once again, well done, and keep on with this.

I loved the way you played that and thought the vocals were very good. Just a shame we didn’t get the whole song. Well done!

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Gregory.

I too was really enjoying it when it got cut short.

Great advice there from David. It’s about knowing a song inside out and it is just all done on autopilot.

I can’t help your with the corrupt video issue as I used YouTube.

I hope we get the full version soon.

Hi Gregory,
That was gooood :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :clap:
That voice a little louder, the song much longer and it’s great. :smiley:. :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Greetings,Rogier

You sound great, both the playing and the singing. Like the others, I would have loved to hear the whole thing. Really good effort. :+1:t2:

Vibes from me for your first AVoYP Gregory. That was great! Lovely clean guitar work and super vocal. Don’t wait another 40 years before you sing again! :smiley:

Rather than play more quietly or sing more loudly to get a better balance, as a first step I’d suggest changing your phone position. Judging from your video it’s positioned fairly low and so is picking up the guitar more than your voice. Put it on a stand of some sort, I use a music stand, more or less at the level of the top of your guitar sound hole. That way the distance from guitar and mouth is pretty much the same.
You will start to get as feel for how hard to strum to get a balance with your vocal. If you try to sing more loudly you can end up loosing feeling and empathy with the song.

Regarding memorising lyrics/chords, you’re right. You can only improve a song if you are on auto pilot with both.

Really enjoyed your performance. Your vox sounded good but a better balance between guitar and vox would enhance it for sure. Sairfingers has given you good pointers in that regard. Nice, steady guitar work.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the file was corrupted. I used a free app to try to restore it, but about 2/3 of the way through, it still went wonky. I gave up and cut the end off.

1 Like