I feel disheartened at my own progress having watched Livestream #3

I think this sort of the way I have approached things after completion of Beginners Grade 2 where I set my self the goal of learning beginner level fingerstyle. Once I achieved that rather than continue onto intermediate level fingerstyle I set myself a new goal of learning beginner level blues. Once I’ve finished that goal I’ll reassess my goals and set myself a new destination whether it’s intermediate fingerstyle or blues or something else like rock.

2 Likes

It shows in your videos. You’ve come a long way this year James :beers:

2 Likes

I think I have the potential not to drive the dog away when I play.

1 Like

I do feel we’ve gone a bit off topic here. This thread started with everyone trying give @Stuartw a bit of encouragement and support. I’m in no way trying to diminish the time and thought people have put into their responses but he himself has subsequently said 3 days ago

Gordon … @Stuartw wrote that when the conversation was within the LiveStream after-show topic. He wrote it before I split the topic and created a topic of its own in response to people commenting that the topic had become derailed.

That said, Stuart hasn’t returned to make much comment since.

2 Likes

The JG methodology is not the best for everybody. Its goal is to create a well rounded player and thus it is quite granular and can be tedious if you just want to strum around the campfire.

I can only learn songs that I love and that I never get tired of hearing. And that’s because learning it requires a LOT of repetitions of that song.

Take a month off. Pick a few songs you love and then find a Marty Schwartz lesson for one of the songs that seems simple. And just practice that song for a few weeks. Play along with the song, slowing it down at first. Then pick another song etc.

Following the JG methodology comes with learning songs you may not like, strumming patterns that are of little interest, techniques not in the songs you like etc. It’s an admiral methodology, but not for everyone.

I’ve been using this “song first” methodology for about 5 years or so and sucked for the first three.

Summary: take a break, when you restart, learn a favorite song that isn’t too difficult.

1 Like

Everybody knows I love songs and encourage the learning of songs.
But why suggest Marty when Justin has these?

And why only one song for several weeks?
There needs to be some variety imho and that means more than one song on the go at one time.
I wholly agree with the playing along and slowing down.
:slight_smile:

6 Likes

JG has great song lessons that I have used many times. He always breaks a song down nicely into all its parts. I just suggested Marty for a change of pace and a different teaching style. And he’s done a ton of songs over the years.

I suggested one song at a time because that’s how I started when I got a teacher. At each lesson I’d name a song, he’d listen to it on YouTube and chart out the chords. Then he showed me how to play it.

Nothing fixed about a month either. The point is that if you’re enjoying learning the song, keep going and keep improving. Too hard or becoming boring after a week, choose another song.

Some songs were way over my head, but I’d struggle through them until the next lesson. Early on I picked Sugaree by the Dead. So many barre chords and but I just loved playing along with the band even though the chords were muffled, my fingers frustrated and it sounded like anything but music!

The cool thing is that after about two years, I had chord charts of many of my favorite songs. Some I could play, some not. And now that I have a little more skill I sometimes go back and learn some of the ones that were too hard at the time.

I still avoid barre chords, but now that I mentioned it, maybe I’ll go back and give Sugaree and barre chords another shot :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, one song over and over for weeks would drive me insane. I’ve got a fairly large group of songs that I rotate on a daily basis, some for electric, some for acoustic.

Ones that I find hard, like “Do You Want To Know a Secret” by the Beatles, are just in rotation with ones I can play well. If I had to work on it every day, I’d probably dump it out of frustration. Instead, when it comes around in rotation, I play it as well as I can. I’m still playing it at 75-80% speed, but it’s slowly getting there.

First of all, I have to say a big thank you to @brianlarsen for his amazing offer of a 1 to 1 with Richard or Lieven. I have spoken to Brian off forum about this, which wasn’t expected but very much appreciated. As I said to him, it makes me realise what a great community we have here. Really humbled by the offer. At this point in time I’m not sure where to go with this as realistically it has logistical problems due to my hearing difficulties.

To all that responded thank you. Even the ‘tough love’ :blush: There are too many to answer all individually, although there have been so really good suggestions with some I may be progressing down the line. Unfortunately, my Grandson has now got a mobile phone so spends most of his spare time (when not playing football) on that.

@Richard_close2u – you made a comment about ‘what things do I need the most’? I’m guessing the answer is learn songs. The problem with this, as I have said before, is that I don’t know or like most of the songs listed, but as @TheMadman_tobyjenner says you have to play a lot of stuff that you don’t like to get the playing ability. I get that!

Anyway I have given myself a bit of a slap and now have a plan, which I probably should have done ages ago!! It is what it is. I have written down 10 songs (of varying difficulties) and have started working my way through them. Don’t know if I will record them yet. I may do, as suggested by @philsmith, purely as a record.

Overall this has made me think a lot about where I go from here. Bottom line I’m not giving up having invested way too much time so far. OK probably not as much as others but I have a life, family and work as well.

24 Likes

Sounds like a reasonable plan Stuart. Just take you time with each one and don’t be in any rush or set yourself deadlines. And most of all if you hit some set backs with particular songs, seek help here. You know we are only too willing to help.

Keep us posted on progress via your learning log.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Stuartw
Great to hear from you Stuart!

You’re not the first to give themselves a kick up the posterior!
As you can see, this thread rocketed. No one here wanted to see you give up and so everyone came to give their support, encouragement and wisdom. :wink::grinning:As you said, the community delivered some great posts.
But I think it goes deeper than that. You inadvertently started a thread that made us all look at ourselves and where we are at and where we want to go and how we get there. You may well have helped a lot of people!

Good to hear you have a plan and therefore a focus going forward.

Best of luck! :guitar: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Well @Stuartw for what my opinions worth I’d suggest you take up that amazing offer as soon as viable. I’m likely in a similar position as you ability wise although my frustration is low compared to yours, I’m still enjoying it regardless.

I’ve heard you songs you try to play don’t sound how they should many times and I understand that too.

Yesterday I bit the bullet having found a very local tutor and had my first ever face to face lesson. Best thing I’ve ever done regarding guitar playing.

I’ll be back week after week for sure.

So I was set the task to play half the world away and see how i get on for next weeks lesson amongst other things. A day later and a few hours with Andy Guitar lesson and I think I’ve made some real progress to the point my ease knew the some I was playing for the first time.

Perhaps a go at this song and see how you get on and definitely get booked in for that first lesson whatever the challenges you perceive.

So an offer of help from me, if you fancy a go of that song I can share the chords / tab / lyric sheets, just PM me.

Secondly if you do take up Brians generous offer and get half the benefit I’ve seen from lesson one then I’’ match the offer and pay for lesson 2 for you.

Go on you know it makes sense :grinning:

3 Likes

Hey Stuart, I don’t have any advice but just want to say I empathize with what you’ve said. I am in the exact same boat and have been for a few months now. I don’t know the answer, maybe it’s to force ourselves to learn songs even though doing that is the source of our dissatisfaction (not playing what we interpret as “well” or good enough for the amount of practice we’ve put in). That’s what I’m doing, anyway.

I picked 7 songs that I like and I’m just drilling them during practice. They hit a good amount of chord types (F and B barre chords, a few minor chords, and power chords). Most days practice is just really boring. In the spirit of Halloween coming up, I’ve learned The Addams Family intro. Its got a riff, as well as a simple single string melody that I am really clumsy at so far. You may struggle with what I struggle with- that I can learn the song but it will be so clumsy that it is just sad to practice it.

Not to diminish the benefit we get from this great community (and it IS great) with so much positive attention and feedback, but not having an in person teacher just means we struggle with the absence of immediate positive reinforcement that comes from the traditional learning experience. It just leaves so much room to learn things improperly, to second guess ourselves, compare ourselves to others, and for demoralization to set it.

You’re not alone in being disheartened. I hope you find some bits and pieces of fun in your practices.

5 Likes

I’m so happy to read that post Stuart. I’ve said enough already so will only add a high five for your plan and wish you not only luck, but smiles along the way, you’re doing this for you. Hope to read of your progress as you go along.

And a massive agreement on how awesome this place and the people in it are!
:+1::guitar::metal::facepunch:

2 Likes

@Stuartw, it might be interesting to make a list (not just for you) of songs that are potentially of interest to those of us less enamored by the standard rock/pop/blues suggestions.

What songs are you interested in? I find myself more drawn to classical, finger-style and more eclectic songs. Occasionally I can find a tab that looks like I might manage it. There are many resources.

I would rather work on a song above my level but that I enjoy.

I am working on:
Canon in D
Branle Inglese
Brown Eyed Women
A Whiter Shade of Pale

3 Likes

Hi Stuart.

I’ve watched how this thread has evolved and agree that this community is incredibly supportive. The members have freely given encouragement, advice and the benefits of their guitar journeys. I believe this attitude reflects the generosity of Justin and the way he has set this site up from the beginning.

I strongly encourage you to record your first attempts at each of your ten songs. There is no better reminder of how you progress than returning to those recordings in the future. Once you improve, it’s hard to remember where you started. It’s hard to replicate those early fumblings, bum notes, random strumming patterns and sore hands from barre chords, but all of it will be there for you to view and appreciate later down the track from your new level of proficiency.

I wish I had done more of this when I started many years ago.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Will do. Although not on the list I thought I would have a go at “…Baby One More Time”. Certainly not much of a Brittany fan but it’s not too bad.

Stranger things have happened.

Thank you and things are better with my list even if I don’t really know all of them.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good on you Stuart. I was in no way a fan of Ms Spears but played it all the same way back when. But the progression is fairly common and so good to get under your fingers. That’s why learning this type of song you would never listen to, has the added bonus of those chords appearing in something you do like. Maybe a different tempo and feel but same chords.

Swift and Back To December, was another one but good to learn because there so many different parts.

If you can record yourself. I am not saying share it here but just to self assess and listen back to how you are doing.

Let us know how you get on !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I read a bit of this thread a couple of weeks ago but not the whole thing so maybe someone has already suggested ear training.

I’m an intermediate player going through a bunch of beginner lessons to see what I’ve missed in the way I’ve learned over the years. I was just starting the ear training course and it brought to mind this thread. Rather than try songs, it might really help you to start with interval training. His first few lessons seem really foundational to playing music in general. The playing itself is very simple so you might feel a sense of accomplishment if you work on ear training - it’ll help you hear notes and connect them to the fretboard.

I’d add to that the strumming/dynamics lessons that are part of beginner course 1 (largely in modules 5-7). These don’t require mastering chords (most strumming is with dampened strings) and might help you develop a sense of rhythm and ease. Justin’s advise on attitude is every bit as important as mechanics, and he does a lot of that in the early lessons.