If You Could Just Have One

As I mentioned in my earlier post up-thread, I’d pick acoustic. But I was thinking about it and realized that my attitude on that is completely opposite of what I would’ve said when I first started on guitar. My first guitar was an electric, and at the time I thought of “playing guitar” as playing electric guitar. Even when I got my first acoustic I still thought of it as “secondary” somehow. Funny how that’s changed. I don’t think of either as “secondary” these days. But I play my acoustics a lot more than my electrics, now. I suppose that could change if I joined a band, but there’s little chance of that in the near future. Maybe when the social COVID effect fades.

Based on what I usually pick up it would be an Acoustic, I feel that they are more ‘user friendly’, no need to have an Amp, no controls and FX to mess with - just the simplicity of it.
There’s a lot to be said for simplicity, it helps keep you focused on what you need to do instead of getting sidetracked with things you don’t really need.

1 Like

I started with an acoustic/electric (Martin) really just because I love the un-adulterated sound. Agree with what others have said about a good set-up. Once I did that, I progressed quickly as it was easier to play and less frustrating. I think you can adapt just about any type of music to an acoustic and being able to plug-in for a change adds another dimension to it. That said, there’s something about the guttural sound of an electric that an acoustic just can’t duplicate.