Instead of OMC's

Thank you everyone for your input. I dont understand all this yet , some a little technical for now.

Advice is greatfully accepted.

Rachel.

I had a look and found a song “What’s Up” by four non blondes using chords

G Am C G , I’m guessing this is what you all mean. :slight_smile:
Rachel.

Rachel @Libitina
Don’t know the song so looked it up the app.
Yes plenty of chord changes some parts with a chord change each bar.
It will certainly give you something get your teeth into, go for it.
Michael. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Rachel! It looks like you have a pretty good background in music, so I’m sure you’ll progress quickly over many of these early hurdles. You probably already know we don’t often encounter say a C, D, Dm, E progression. I think that’s the main reason you might peek at the Common Progressions lesson. If you want to mix up your OMCs with your own method, I say go for it! It looks like you’ve been working hard, and I can’t wait to hear more from you!

1 Like

All self taught though apart from my very early instruments, so theory was not there or I wansn’t paying attention lol. That said i’ve already peeked lol at the chord progression lesson. Spent the last few hours learning how they are constructed. :slight_smile: BRAIN ACHE , but I’m getting there. !.

Back to it now…

Rachel.

Hi Rachel, we may have gone two steps ahead of where you wanted to be. You are currently doing OMCs going back forth between two chords. Now you can add one more chord to the series. For example You have practiced changing from A to D, from D to E and from E to A. Now you can practice all three chord changes in the same exercise (from A change to D and instead of going back to A go to E and from E go to A and so on. You can practice like the regular OMCs, one down strum per chord or you can do four down strums per chord or you can actually try to play a song that has the same chord changes. The bit of theory was more about not doing random chord changes but the ones that you can more easily find in songs than, more often than not, follow certain sequence that is called a chord progression. You do not have to worry about the theory now. You can can practice A, D and E changes by themselves or look for songs that you like that have A, D and E chords (or D, G and A; or G, C and D later). Maybe you can do a little of OMCs, a little of regular strumming with chord changes and give it a try to a song.

2 Likes

No, the chord progression is just fine, I’ve only half dozen 2 chord changes left from the original list from Justin. I’ve now removed all the ones over 60 and started learning song progressions.

In my last reply I mentioned What’s Up by 4 noon blondes. Easy to remember as 1 of my 5 songs G Am C G repeat to end.

Had my first play along yesterday and again today, better. I really should try to record it at some point. Just strumming on one not the full 2 bar strum pattern.

R

2 Likes