Intro Hello from Todd in Florida - Old Dog trying to learn a new trick!

I’m glad you said that as that’s where I am at the moment and it is frustrating.

1 Like

Hi Todd!
I’m 60 and though the guitar is not totally new to me, I hadn’t picked one up in years. During the latency, I developed some arthritis in my hands and I don’t memorize songs as well as I once did, but after committing to learn, sticking with a routine, taking my time, and trusting the Justin process, I have arrived at a much less frustrating place. A place where I can lose myself in the music. You’ll get there too. :purple_heart:

Welcome Todd.

I’m 59 and have been learning with Justin’s course since the start of this year. Yes, it’s challenging and yes, if you persist, you’ll quickly look back and be surprised at your progress. It just takes a commitment to practice. Even if some days that’s only 15 mins. I found it really helped to have my Guitar out and on hand for a quick pick up and a few chord shapes and changes. Just a minute or so when I feel like it. The best part about this course is Justin mixes it up so just when you think you’re going a bit stale he introduces something new and interesting.

All the best with it and remember you’re competing with nobody but yourself. So, enjoy the journey.

Cheers, Dale

Hi Todd and welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place :grin:
I am 45 years and started to play in january 21, so little over 2 years of playing guitar now. This is an endless journey and sometimes i do feel i dont get any where… other days i feel like im doing pretty ok… but… i enjoy every minute of playing. i play acoustic but i guess that does not matter much…
started out as you… A and D and it felt hopeless at times… dont give up, just crack on and follow the path. Learn to play songs as soon as possible and keep things simple. Dont be hard on your self, stay positive… it is tricky stuff you are trying to learn. Do not give up!! Hang in there, and enjoy your self.
Wish you the best on your journey, any issues and there are always someone here to back you up :grin:

Trond

Hi Todd, welcome to the community. The best advice I have found on this site is to just be patient with your progress. The other advice that I am still trying to follow is for better sound play slower to play better. You’ve just been playing a couple of weeks so don’t be discouraged. You will eventually get better. If you want to feel better about your playing, go to the website grade 1 lessons and look at the Nitsuj practice sessions at the bottom of the lesson list. Justin relearns playing the guitar left-handed and shows the struggles you might be going through. Good luck with your playing and your progress. Above all have fun playing songs.

Hi Todd, welcome. For everyone when yesterday’s guitar challenges are past new challenges are on. As far you keep the adequate level of challenge as Justin proposes you can through focused practice make your guitar playing to sound better today than yesterday. Even when some days progress will be slow, looking to be not happening or even looking to be getting undone, things are happening behind the scenes at neural and muscular level that can surprise when you less expect it.

Sorry I was away for a few days and couldn’t reply - I appreciate the encouragement and your reply - I am not going to give up! Thanks for the welcome!

Best,

Todd

1 Like

Hi Todd & welcome!
The good news is that eventually things get a bit easier… the not so great news is that it takes some effort to get there!!! It’s a journey with ups, downs, twists & turns but the aural scenery is wonderful!!! Lots to listen to and enjoy in your future! Good luck, stick to Justin’s method, it works!

Tod (with one “d”…. my Mom was a bit strange) :crazy_face:

Sheep Hi

Welcome to the forum. Learning to play guitar is very possible and you can do it. I just posted my guitar journey here last weeks I started playing so badly the first round that my landlord wanted to evict me. After Justin’s course I now play in public and crowds love to hear it. Just take it one day at a time and you’ll get there. Enjoy the small victories as they come each day.

Jeff from California

Welcome aboard Todd. I’m 4 years older than you and started in January this year. I’ve just completed grade two.
My advice would be to just keep going, the first week or two are quite hard but as soon as you can play enough chords, get stuck into songs that Justin recommends, it gives the technical practice a purpose.
You will start to develop finger calluses within the first couple of weeks too and the pain will get less. It’s well worth it. If and when you need a pick me up, come into the forum and let people help. This is the best Community ever. Good luck.