Hello from Kevin, I started to learn when I retired

After retiring in June 2020 in the midst of the Covid pandemic, my wife wondered what I was going to do to occupy myself. I quickly replied, ”I’m going to learn to play the guitar”. I played a bit in my early teens but never took learning guitar seriously. With a little maturity and plenty of time on my hands, I purchased a Gibson J15 Acoustic guitar and searched the internet for guitar lesson options. After reviewing and trying several options I adopted the Justin Guitar App and website. After about 26 months of lessons and learnings and 5 Acoustic Guitars, 4 Electric Guitars and 2 Ukuleles later I am at the intermediate stage. I spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours per day practicing and playing songs. Almost exclusively using the Justin Guitar App and website. I also have started Justin’s Music Theory Course.
I look forward to continuing my journey learning and playing the guitar. The only negative…controlling my urge to buy just one more guitar. Anxiously awaiting the delivery of my Gibson Custom Silverburst Les Paul!

16 Likes

That’s awesome. Congratulations on your progress. Since retiring I’m even happier that I can play the guitar. It gives me such fun through the day. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Wow, congratulations! That sounds like a tremendous retirement. I’m “only” 52 so still a few years away, but would love to do the same and am looking forward to having the time to devote!

1 Like

That’s a solid guitars per month ratio!

Welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

I wish I had started playing before retirement, but business travel 4 to 5 day per week and the constant job demands and devotion to family did not afford me the time to practice. No longer a problem. Kids are grown up, no work commitments, just have secure my “guitar studio” before the grandkids visits.

2 Likes

Welcome Kevin! Enjoy your stay here!
Seems like a great use of your newfound free time! That’s some solid guitar buying there! That Silverburst is one beautiful looking guitar! :heart_eyes:

Sounds awesome Kevin. I think we’re gonna need some pictures of that guitar collection!

2 Likes

A very warm welcome Kevin. It seems you have a very good pension plan - both in terms of your desire and commitment to learn to play and in financial terms with all the purchasing you’re doing! haha :slight_smile:
There are plenty of mature folk and old dogs hanging around here.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Kevin. Such a wonderful pass-time to keep one young, healthy, active. And one can learn and grow regardless of age.

Now you have whet my appetite with all the instrument talk, so please start a Learning Log in #community-hub:learning-logs and share some photographs. We do so love to admire and appreciate other people’s guitars.

Which reminds me of the accepted formula to determine the appropriate number of guitars to have:

Appropriate # = Current # + 1 :grin:

1 Like

Welcome Kevin, what a great progress and what an impressing collection of guitars. Have fun and stay motivated :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome! I see you are also a fellow with good taste (Gibson). Silverburst is such an amazing color, would love to see some pictures when you get it.

That sounds great! Yes, work travel is the worst for any extracurricular activities for sure. I’m hoping my own travel won’t pick up too much now as covid restrictions are lifting! :grimacing:

Yay! Wonderful that you are having this time in your life to learn to play.

I understand about that urge to get more guitars and gear…

1 Like

Welcome Kevin! I too love the combination of retirement and learning guitar, though I’m a bit newer at this than you. You’ve made me feel much better about my inclination to buy more guitars!

Welcome, Kevin! Haha yes it sounds like you already have a bad case of GAS! :smile:

That can happen to guitar enthusiasts

I subscribe to that math too.

Hi Kevin, welcome. Good you found guitar playing as a way of enjoying your retirement. The good thing with guitar playing is that it never ends. There’s always something new to improve or learn, a new song and in your case a new guitar to try.

1 Like

Hello Kevin and welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

Chronic GAS and a lack of funds have to be the only downside to guitar. :smiley: