Introduction from Somber in Canada!

Hello, I hope I’m doing this right, lol
I don’t like to use my real name online but you can call me “somber” ! I’m 23 and I’m from the Maritimes of Canada.

So, here’s my backstory I guess!
I tried picking up guitar a few times as a teenager but quit out of frustration every time. I injured myself when I was younger (it’s a repetitive strain injury, gained from drawing too much) and never recovered, so my hands don’t work very well.

Both teachers I had in the past, though great teachers, and even with the advantage of teaching me in real life, couldn’t really get past my struggles with my hands in the beginning and couldn’t communicate ideas of music theory to me in a way I could understand.

But I’m very glad I discovered justinguitar! I feel like things started clicking immediately, and I can play beginner chords and strum with relative ease now. I never really thought I’d be able to get even this far, and I’m really enjoying myself!

Thanks for reading! I hope the stuff in the beginning doesn’t sound like a bummer, it doesn’t really bother me, it is just part of my life. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hello Somber and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

I’m glad to read that Justin’s course has been able to achieve something that others have not been able to. Have fun and enjoy your journey.

2 Likes

Hi Somber,
Welcome and i wish you al long and joyfull guitar life :sunglasses:
And what you type doesn’t sound like a bummer…there are many here who have a thing, and talking about it is always a good thing,… :smiley:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Somber

2 Likes

Sunny days ahead :sun_with_face: :sunglasses:
We’re gonna change the somber to sombrero. Olé!
Welcome aboard, amigo

3 Likes

Welcome to you Somber, this is a great community to be part of, and you should find lots to help you on your guitar learning journey. I’m on the same side of the pond as you, 3000ish km away though in northwestern Ontario. Have fun playing guitar!

2 Likes

Welcome to this amazing community, @sombersunns !

Love your story. I am glad to hear that you found something that works for you as I feel the exact same way about the lessons on this site.

Cheers

3 Likes

Hi @sombersunns, welcome. Nice to read that you are really enjoying yourself playing guitar.

2 Likes

Hello Somber, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.

Thanks for sharing your story. It seems, that you are really determined to learn to play the guitar. And I think, it’s really worth it - it’s such a wonderful instrument :blush:.

Great that with Justins course you’ve found a way to play despite your injury.

Wish you lots of fun along your guitar journey :grinning:.

3 Likes

Hi Somber,

Welcome to the group. You made an excellent choice when picking Justin guitar for your lessons. His methods and style is easy to understand and rewarding. Best of luck on your journey- Jeff from California

2 Likes

Hello Somber, I hope your positive and determined attitude to overcoming your physical obstacles is an indicator of a happy and sunny disposition that might belie your chosen name! :slight_smile:
A very warm welcome to the community - it’s great to know that you’re advancing with Justin and feeling the improvements already.
Just ask for any help or advice you may feel you need.
Cheers
Richard

2 Likes

Hey Somber, welcome to the community, nice to hear you have found the fun and joy there is in making music. Keep the fun coming,

2 Likes

Welcome!
Not too much of a bummer at all! We all come with our backstory and it’s only the way that we look at the present and the way that we go forward that matters :slightly_smiling_face:
Enjoy your journey!

2 Likes

Hey Somber, Welcome back to the journey! Glad to here the delights of guitar are starting to connect. There’s still many good times ahead :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome! Make sure to do lots of warming up and stretching before playing to prevent further injury.

C

3 Likes

Welcome Somber. I am glad you have finally been able to make some progress with playing guitar

2 Likes

Welcome to the community somber! (Btw I share your privacy perspectives :sweat_smile:) Glad that you found Justin and that he has been helping to you achieve what you hadn’t been able to in the past, and that you also joined the community here!

2 Likes