Introduction - hello from Donovan in Phoenix, Arizona

Hello! I’m Donovan. It’s June in Phoenix, Arizona, USA, which is when many of us start going into hibernation and embracing indoor activities. I’m new to the website but have completed Grade 1 on the app.

My interest in guitar is primarily to serve my songwriting. Ever since I was in high school (I’m 55 now), I’ve written poems and lyrics but never seriously attempted to learn how to accompany myself on an instrument. While it’s intriguing for me to consider performing them one day for an audience, I’m more interested in writing for the artistic aspect of it.

A few years back, I joined a group class to learn how to play in a bluegrass/old time jam circle and was quickly able to play rhythm (and sing!) on all the great standards of the genre. This gave me the confidence I needed to start writing songs with accompaniment – which meant I wanted to get a solid grounding in the fundamentals.

So here I am.

12 Likes

Welcome to the community Donovan. I’m looking forward to hearing one of your songs someday!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Donovan

welcome Donovan. You’re in a great community here. Glad to have you

Welcome aboard, Donovan. May you do your namesake proud! :sunglasses:

Haha, you’re well ahead of the posse :rofl:
Seriously, jump in and share a recording of some of your songs whenever you feel ready.
There are always willing ears here on the forum :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Donovan,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Looking forward to a song from you in the AVOYP section :smiley:

Greetings,Rogier

Hi Donovan, welcome to the community forum. You will find lessons helpful to writing songs scattered throughout Justin’s lessons. Have fun learning how to go from simple to polished songs on the guitar.

Hello Donovan & Welcome!

Welcome Donovan. You’ve come to the right place for constructive feedback on songwriting and playing. Enjoy the ride!!

Hello Donovan.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and this fantastic community. Please take your time to look around and get to know the wider space.
https://community.justinguitar.com/categories

We are a supportive and encouraging group of students and guitarists from across the world. Essentially, we are all here for music and to improve as players. We truly are a ‘community’. Members help and support one another and a friendly, positive attitude underpins this. We hope that all - young or old, experienced or new players - adopt and foster the pay-it-forward ethos that Justin personifies and embedded all those years ago when he started the website and forum.

Also, please make sure to read the community etiquette announcement for some important information and guidance.

Richard
:grinning: