J.W.C. Learning Log

Good for you, Jason. Look forward to hearing the fruits as you go.

1 Like

Thanks, Tony. :slight_smile:

Sounds like several of us will be learning Society in near future. Cool!

3 Likes

I really dig your song selection. Haven’t got time to check them all out yet, but have it bookmarked. Great job on Waymore’s Blues. (Who doesn’t like a spelling song, right?!?)

Thanks, Dave. Glad you liked Waymore’s Blues. It’s a fun tune to play. :slight_smile:

Working on smooth tremolo picking on the mandolin this morning. Tougher than I expected! Found it a bit easier with a Dunlop Jazz III pick.

@J.W.C

My usual curiosity rears its head … what is that in a nutshell, Jason. How’s about a super short, shot with the phone, video clip of you demonstrating on the mandolin?

It’s rapid picking back and forth on the same note(s) (until you change), giving a sustained sound: a “brrrrrrrr…” I think it’s the mandolin version of fiddle bowing.

I’ll see what I can do. Video is totally not my thing, but that doesn’t sound too complicated.

1 Like

A terrific collection of songs Jason. Very impressive. Looking forward to hearing all the new ones as and when.

I need to spend more time playing and a little less reading the new site. Lol…

2 Likes

Also I think sounds like something I’ve heard listening to SRV and watching Dan Patlansky play.

Thanks for explaining.

Jason

The vagaries of notifications settings present me with a log jam and I now realise I might be missing other gems here abouts. But before I go off looking, just wanted to say a great set of targets you have here. Looking forward to both originals and covers, as your productions are always up there !

Good luck in your endeavours.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Thanks, Toby. I’m already “behind” on my goals, but I plan on adding to the list of recordings, above, very soon.

1 Like

I just acquired a new instrument: a Strobel MC-160 cello with bow and soft case. Got it in an even trade for a guitar I don’t play very often. Now, I know almost nothing about playing cello, but I love the sound of the instrument and I’ve often wanted to use a cello in songs I’m working on or recording, so I figured YOLO. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I always wondered how you get those things under your chin.

3 Likes

Hah! There’s actually a “cello da spalla” that you hold vertically on your chest (although still not under your chin – closest thing there would be a really large viola).

As for me and my “normal cello,” I’m still trying to figure out the proper handling of the bow. The left hand (i.e., the fingerboard hand) isn’t too bad, but bowing is not coming easily. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is so exciting Jason, what a marvellous musical adventure you’ll have.

1 Like
3 Likes

This is a reason this Community is so cool. @J.W.C says “got a new cello, can’t get the bow thing down” and right away - BAM!! Link to what looks like a great beginners lesson!! Very cool, Jozsef!

1 Like

Sounds great, Jason. I can’t even imagine playing a fretless instrument, being able to hear pitch well enough to land on the spot and then make minute adjustments to be on pitch. I know it is all practice practice practice but still. And I am sure in due course you’ll be getting on top of the bow.

Then you can apply bowing skills to your electric guitar like that other Jimmy used to do :grin:

I’m glad I could help. I just did a random YouTube search and this video (looks like part of a series on cello playing) seemed to be perfect for a beginner.

“Be inventive!” :slight_smile: