JamesSuntres - August 2023 - Bad Moon Rising & Way Over Yonder in The Minor Key

This my attempt at Bad Moon Rising.

plus

Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key

9 Likes

Nice one James @JamesSuntres
One of the songs I learned early on in my journey.

Couple of questions
Is the Capo 2 to suit your voice
Can’t see all of your guitar but looks interesting, what is it if you don’t mind me asking :guitar:
Michael

1 Like

Hi Michael! Thanks for your support! Yes, the capo is on the second fret for my voice. I continue to experiment as I’m relatively new to the guitar. I started playing only 4 years ago. Most of my songs I learned through Justin. My guitar is a knockoff Ovation made by a company here in Greece.

1 Like

2 Likes

Enjoyable rendition, James, making it your own. The idea to play with stuck 3&4 chords worked well, gave it a different feel.

1 Like

James @JamesSuntres
I thought the guitar looked different, must confess not seen one up close.
Interesting about the capo, I feel happier with the capo around the 2nd to 4th fret even if the song is intended for open chords, as it suits my voice better, at least that’s what my singing teacher says, will have to take her word for it.
Michael

Hey David! It does work well, but not on all songs. I tried it for instance with Blowin’ in the Wind, but it sounded awful,!

1 Like

Hello David, that was a really nice rendition of this song. I’m working on that song as well, and it was interesting to see and hear it been played differently as I do. This, again, shows, that there are so many different ways to play a song.
May I just express one little wish? I’d love to see all of your guitar the next time you do a recording, so that I can better understand how you’re playing the song :blush:.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

Hi Nicole! This is James Suntres. Your message is addressed to David, but I take it you’re referring to my feeble attempt at Bad Moon Rising. I’m attaching a video with the chords, which are a full G, (with the 3rd fret on string 2) C add 9 and D sus 2. The basic strumming pattern is DD UD DUD DUD DD UD DD UD through the whole song. Of course, all the above including this versatile progression I learned on one of Justin’s song tutorials. I don’t remember which I’m afraid. But I remember our teacher stressing that said progression sometimes work’s really well, but sometimes not. Our own ears will finally help us decide where to use it! https://youtu.be/gSeZk_rFQkk

1 Like

Hello James, oh I’m so sorry for giving you a wrong name :see_no_evil:. I apologize for my mistake :pray:.
And thanks a lot for doing an extra explanation video for me. That’s very kind of you :hugs:.

I’ll play the song with open D, A and G chords. My strumming pattern is similar to yours. Tbh, it’s not set in stone. I’m playing some variations during the song.
As soon as I feel ready (I still mess up the lyrics), I’ll post an AVOYP :blush:.

Have a great day, James!

1 Like

Nice job James and a beautiful looking guitar. I really liked the vocals too. You have a nice voice.

1 Like

Great job James, I really enjoyed listening. I tried this song early on and just got the basic chord progression down. So bravo for for playing and singing the whole way through. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Best wishes,
Alan

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words, Alan! I’ve been working on that song for at least two years, and I’m still working on it. All songs we learn are works in progress!

1 Like

Thanks Eddie! I guess the singing lessons I’ve been taking are paying off! As for the guitar, it’s an Ovation knock-off made by a luthier here in Greece. It sounds great and it’s so playable!

1 Like

No problem, Nicole! No, nothing is set in stone. I want to think of ourselves as artists who can take liberties so that we can make songs work for us. Cheers!

1 Like

Great song James and you played and sung it well. An interesting looking guitar as well.

I hope you’re safe from all the flooding.

1 Like

So this Way OverYonder in the Minor Key, which I learned entirely from Justin on his fantastic tutorial. One of his best! Plus, I think he sings great!

3 Likes

Well played and sung with feeling, James.

1 Like

Thanks David! I couldn’t have done it without Justin, though!

1 Like

Thanks for your kindness! The guitar is an Ovation knockoff made by a luthier here in Greece. As for the flooding, we haven’t been affected here in Athens but other parts of the country have indeed been inundated!