Jamming For Beginners

Lets say there is a situation where you can’t jam with anyone. Are there any similar benefits if you are use a looper pedal?

Robbie, many people advocate that the first pedal one should acquire is a looper. Lots of benefits. You can pick up some tips and ideas here: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/how-to-use-a-looper-pedal-fx-402

1 Like

But would this give me the similar benefits as to jamming with another person?

Not even close I don’t think. For starters, I found the looper quite difficult to operate (my advice- don’t get one that is too complicated). Tapping the START/STOP footswitch at just the right moment is harder than it looks.

You can’t talk to a looper. It’s not going to pick you up on your mistakes or offer advice. You can’t swap between rhythm and lead like you can with a jam buddy.

I wasted too much time trying to get to grips with my looper (Boss RC5). It now sits unused on my pedal board. I prefer to make backing tracks in Garageband.

@roby2 @jacksprat

I agree with Chris. I think playing with another person(s) is the ideal.

Chris’s suggestion to keep the looper simple is also good. Mine is the simplest, single button, TC Electronics Ditto looper. Some would suggest the 2 button version that is perhaps simpler, but once I got the hang of the button function, I don’t find it a problem.

Chris was really on a roll … stopping and starting record on a looper is not as easy as it looks. And there is some benefit in being able to develop your ability to play to a consistent tempo and rhythm, starting and stopping the looper.

There is merit in this approach. If your playing setup and space makes it simple to make and play over backing tracks in a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, such as Garageband on an iOS device and many options on a Windows computer) then that convenience and added potential make this a good way to go. There is value in learning how to use a DAW. Of course it means you need a suitable setup and want to embark on that learning, which is not necessarily true for everybody.

So both options bring lots to the table if you are learning and playing on your own without the option of getting together with others. And it would be an ‘and’ not an ‘or’. Even if you do have a jam buddy you may still find value in adding a looper to your gear or setting up a home studio to work with a DAW.

1 Like

Yes, I should have mentioned you will need an audio interface to connect your guitar to your computer. I bought a Focusrite Scarlet Solo 3. It’s excellent.
Although I have looped chord progressions with GarageBand on my iPad and played along with them. No interface required.

1 Like