Jennifer Annoys the Neighbors- Jenndye429’s Learning Log

Hi Jennifer,
What a clear and structured story :sunglasses: the only noise on the line will come from us. Have fun and you will find the best things along the way :smiley:
Greetings

1 Like

Not playing Enter Sandman yet………. Dear me, and you only need 3 for the band!

Aged 9 (Bass), 12 (Drums) and 14 (guitar and vocals); that was 2014, this year they were touring Europe with Muse!
Hard work and practice will reward you!

3 Likes

Thank you so much Shane, and I hope so!

I’ve seen that video! :+1: It’s actually part of what inspired me to want to play it. I figured if they can do it, I should be able to also :laughing: The Warning is super talented :+1:t2:

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I agree. The real problem is deciding what to get!

1 Like

Good point about the Facebook groups. I live in the land of artists and musicians, so I’m sure there are some :wink::laughing: I’ve looked on Craigslist before and what I I usually find are 19 year olds looking for others that want to play death metal or retired professionals looking to join a band that gigs already. I know of at least two open mics around me, one that is basically right down the road from my house, so I think that may a good place to start and see who shows up.

Yes, this one is not too bad. Mostly my problem is that I will start to work on it and then get distracted with other songs and then I don’t really ever get it solid enough to perform. I just need to hunker down with it and get it done. I really want to sing it too, so that will be an extra challenge. Dan also needs to work on this one with me as well as we have never attempted to play it together.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Andrea! We are well on our way! I’m glad we went with the red drums as the other color the store had wasn’t as nice looking as these :star_struck: :drum:

Thank you and that’s what I’m hoping for too!

Thank you so much Rogier!

Haha, I wasn’t having a dig, but as you said they are mega talented! Have you seen them live yet? If not look out for them anywhere within reasonable travelling distance; it’s an experience never forgotten! Their energy is unbelievable and stage presence amazing!
Just so wet you’re appetite:

Enjoy!

Not yet! They actually came here a few months ago and I wasn’t able to go :cry::cry: I have seen some of their live performances on YouTube and Instagram. If I could be half as talented as the three of them I would be happy! I started trying to learn how to play Money recently. I love that song.

1 Like

Jenndye429,

This is largely directed at you and your percussionist hubby, but I feel the need to say a few words to all.

First, this is my first post of any sort about guitar, prompted by my neighbor (I live in downtown Portland, OR) Jenndye429’s incredibly inspiring post. I don’t post because I work 5.5 days a week at a super demanding job, which also requires me to travel across the US (and every once and awhile overseas). And while guitar as you will see below is a real passion, I also cycle, ski, read, golf, tennis, kayak, and I could go on.

My son (also a rising fast improving beginner guitarist who lives on the Eastside (Jenndye will know where that is) pushed me to take up guitar during the Covid nightmare. I resisted, as I have quite small hands, and resisted, then broke down and did – and 7 guitars, amps, recording software, and hours of practice largely based on Justin’s magnificent teaching, here I am. BTW, I cannot say enough about Justin’s teaching ability and ethos. He is remarkable.

I could go on for pages detailing my experience (journey) so far, but safe to say three things – (1) I am having a blast, (2) I am wildly undisciplined but equally wildly enthusiastic as a learner (e.g., Jenndye has 3 songs she is focusing on – my songbook is 40 and growing and I play ten different ones every practice session–NONE of them well, and (3) because I am wildly undisciplined, my progress or lack thereof reflects it. But there is some progress nonetheless.

So jenndye429, here is an offer to trade notes in person. And bring hubby as I know nothing about percussion (and hate the metronome with a passion-- but am thinking of pulling some drum tracks off Garage Band in hopes that I will hate them less). You and hubby are invited to be my guest at Il Terrazzo, the wine bar/bistro on the Esplanade at the Marina downtown on the river. The owner and staff are great friends of mine. My wife and/or my son the guitarist (he actually takes lessons and knows theory and standard notation) will likely join us. A Portland jam session may come from this, or you may say “who is that old guy anyway?” And if you know any other Justinguitar devotees in PDX, I would be happy to have them join us too.

If a jam session emerges from this (and it need not, but what the heck), you should know that I can sing, in fact I always sing when I play songs. And with some practice, I might be able to provide harmony to your lead vocals. Depends on the song and whether you are an alto or a soprano. And I can play reasonably sound rythym guitar behind your lead – and happy to do so. My strumming sucks a bit (well a lot) but that because more than half of my practice is fingerstyle. Did I mention I am wildly undisciplined! Maybe more accurately put, energetic but unfocused?

If you and hubby are interested, please let me know / send me a DM.

[mod edit - email removed for security reasons]

BTW, where is this open mic in PDX
you referred to? Can I come and listen?

Best to all of you. Appreciate reading your comments when I can.

JMV

BTW, I lugged my small amp and a looper I just bought along with my semi hollow out to my small place in the Cascades and hope to scare the heck out of the elk, deer and coyotes tomorrow from my back deck.

ps. My son also has a bass guitar. Just saying …

2 Likes

Hi James,

Welcome to the community! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my log and for sharing your story. Dan and I are definitely looking to connect with more local musicians and even better if they have learned through JG!

We are a bit strapped for spare time at the moment since our daughter just got back into school and has a birthday coming up soon, but let me talk to Dan and I will DM you to talk about it further.

Your log blew me away Jennifer. But, absolutely zero pressure Jennifer on the dinner invitation. Thought it was worth a shot. I get the busy schedule. I travel at least one or two days a week on average for a very high pressure job and have an overseas trip coming up in October. And you have to take care of your daughter!

But I do think it would be hellacious fun to trade notes and I have been pushing my son regularly to get on the JustinGuitar train. You could help with this! So the invitation to treat you and Dan is solid.

I suspect you are clearly a more advanced guitarist as I sense far more focus and discipline on your part. Whereas I spend half of my time on my (way to good for me) electrics — Les Paul Studio and. Shechter semi-hollow — and half on my four exceptional (and also way too good for me)Taylor acoustics. I spend half my time arpeggio finger picking and half of the time strumming. I play a very wide variety rock, pop and folk chords but I insist on dabbling in jazz chords as well. I add songs to my songbook faster than I learn how to play any of them well. I have no pedals (your ensemble is intimidating) but I do have a Spark amp with a boatload of tones available. Because I hate the metronome my core sense of rhythm, which is good, gets pushed aside since when I sing and accompany myself I can and do manipulate time and that in turn fails to provide timing discipline. Makes me timing lazy. I rock snd roll playing for myself but when I hit the record button I turn into jelly. I have surprising weaknesses (power chords of all things) but I have a few things I do very well.

So if you and Dan are game, take me up on the dinner offer at Il Terrazzo and we’ll talk guitar, music, music theory, practice regimes and maybe I will learn a bit about percussion.

And I would really like to listen in on the open mic you are putting together.

Jim V

And I guess I need to learn what DM is and how to use it.

1 Like

Thank you. I am certainly not advanced, but if there is one thing I do have, it’s the drive and ability to stick with it. I’m also pretty focused most of the time :wink:

Thank you for the invite and we will certainly keep it in mind! Do you have any audio or video of yourself playing? In general, what types of music to do you like to play?

1 Like

UPDATE 1 10/7/23

Hi everyone. Today is my 2 year guitaraversary. It seems like 2 years was both forever ago and yesterday all at once :laughing:

In celebration, I thought I’d share a couple videos Dan took of me the first time I picked up my guitar. I had already watched the first couple of beginner’s course videos, so I knew the A and D chord fingering, but this was my first time actually trying them. I like to go back every once in a while and watch them to see how far I’ve come. This instrument has really lit a fire in a part of me that I didn’t even really know was there. You can see the pure joy in my face even playing a badly fretted chord :laughing:

See for yourself:

Trying to play an A

Trying to play a D

10 Likes

:champagne: :champagne: :champagne:

Congrats, Jenn. You’ve come a long way from the first couple of open chords, to be rocking out the power chords, riffs, and leads.

Look forward to enjoying whatever comes next.

1 Like

Huge Congrats on your 2nd anniversary. Its good to keep these nuggets to see how far you have come and you come a long way. When I’m getting frustrated by lack of progress I’ll go back to some of my very first A D E Soundcloud recording tracks (wince), as a reminder that I have actually made some progress over the years ! Here’s looking to the next two years !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

:rofl: That’s awesome! Love how you looked so super stoked, how could anyone not feel inspired to pick up a guitar after watching that?! :smiley: :+1: Those early days of learning the open chords, old faithful strumming and the first couple of songs and riffs are a magic time. That is really cool that you have those recordings. When you and Dan are touring coast to coast, you’ll be able to look back on those with a lot of fondness. Congrats on your 2 year anniversary! Hope you got to celebrate with some quality guitar time :guitar: :heart_eyes: :wink: :sunglasses:

1 Like

:partying_face: :sunglasses: :bouquet: :tada: :confetti_ball:

Cherish those first videos :smiley:
Greetings

1 Like