JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

@sairfingers do the updated Topic titles help, Gordon?

1 Like

Thanks for that JK, I’ll give that a try. I’m working on a song at the moment and I’ve been sliding, which when unplugged I could hear and thought when I plugged in that I wouldn’t be able to hear it but you can and it sounds awful.

1 Like

Had to go digging back to find the recording but well worth it. Rock solid JK and on point with the timing, especially with all the “stop starts” on this track. Good old head bangin foot stomper, though i was never much into Kiss. :+1:

Must admit I am finding it really hard to track things down with these multi recording threads. However, I do use the Dismiss option a lot to keep the clutter down. So unless I see the new recording when its first posted its not in my face so to speak. Jury is out at the moment. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi JK.
Nice Playing :sunglasses: :clap:
I like the video too :sunglasses:
And I do start to miss some videos and it doesn’t really help me that the title can be changed, but I still watch way too much :sweat_smile: so missing something I don’t see as a problem .
Greetings…

1 Like

Wow, a Billy Gibbons not quite look-alike. That was a fun watch for sure. And with the beard you don’t have to worry about whether you’re smiling or not :laughing: Kidding aside, that sounded good. Sure there were some hiccups and some minor timing issues, but you’ve got the grasp on this one. A little more practice and muscle memory and then you can start on the lead! Well done. Did you know Billy Gibbons uses 7 gauge strings?
Looks like I posted in the wrong place, but you’ll get it, I’m sure.

1 Like

I’ve got my AVoYP preferences set to ‘watching’ so I get notified about new ones. However once I’ve watched and commented I change the settings for that AVoYP to ‘normal’ therefore I’m not notified if there is a new song added to the topic. The problem is if I left the preference at ‘watched’, l’d get notified of every reply to that AVoYP post.

2 Likes

That was awesome Jkhan! I enjoyed it a lot! It was also nice to see how you can move your hand throughout the all fretboard, it’s something I can’t do yet so it’s quite impressive to me. It looks like you’re having quite a lot of fun with your rock studies…yes you definetely rock! :love_you_gesture::guitar::blush:

1 Like

Your Rock study is really great stuff, JK. And it seems that you are enjoying playing it at least as much as we like listening/watching to it :star_struck:.
I’m looking forward to more :blush:.

1 Like

Thx for checking out the vid Jeff. You know what KISS were, is master marketers. I knew of KISS even when I didn’t know their music because of their facepaint - branding. Genius.

I wouldn’t worry about disagreeing with people about music… if someone’s insulted by you not liking their favourite music, that would be their problem, not yours. (Overall people are too soft these days and struggle to deal with different viewpoints when random people’s twitter comments make “news” - that’s a different subject though).

Hopefully the video was a bit interesting Gordon - glad you checked it out. I’m still trying to figure out what kind of guitarist I am, and while I’m posting rock stuff recently I still pick up that acoustic most days (although the electric every day atm).

Thanks Toby. Lots of stops and starts, my rhythm is decent and helped with that. I listened to the song quite a few times while driving, and then played along with the recording a bit. First time I played with the backing track I got the timing right, I was kind of surprised by that as I figured I’d have to go back and forth with the recording. That approach of just listening a lot and playing along works really well.

Your dedication to watching AVOYPs is appreciated Rogier :rofl: I’m slowly, slowly, trying to figure out how to make videos more interesting.

Hey Dave, thanks for checking it out! Comment is in the right place, it’s just that there’s a few vids here now :grinning:. The ZZ Top one was fun, although Billy Gibbons playing is super hard to imitate and I’m a long way off getting it tight. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Thanks Silvia :smiley:. Spending a bunch of time playing power & barre chord songs, learning some riffs and scales and it becomes easier. Quite different from your chord melody stuff, which is equally impressive (to me)!

Yep they’re super fun to play. Usually have to have a backing track on though, as rock often needs drums and bass to sound full. If you enjoy listening Nicole, that makes me happy :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey JK,
Good old Kiss… they rocked and so did you! Nice to hear and great job mate!

Yeah, I don’t know about this - toss it all in a container format. I just about missed your latest offering here…

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Thats some reaction to a book, probably worth getting eh. ?

Rachel

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out @LBro

The book is pretty good, buy it to support Justin if you’re interested in it. It’s good, like his other stuff, but there’s nothing groundbreaking about it, it’s just a series of songs to learn. It’s more Alexis’s approach of learning every one sequentially that was inspiring.

2 Likes

Rock, Heck yes…

yes, I watch for his posting , very inspiring :slight_smile:

Thanks JK

Rachel.

1 Like

Awesome production. Neck camera was sweet.
:+1:

1 Like

I was disappointed there was no face paint if I’m honest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for watching @JasonBuk & @rossbd

Ross, I did think about buying a KISS mask :rofl: But thought it might be too much effort for that one!

JK, viewed all of your rock songbook video posts. Great playing, especially the clean technique and right strumming groove. It gives me something to work towards in my struggles on the electric. Cool headstock angle with the attached GoPro. Very instructional on the barre chord fingering. Keep up the awesome posts.

Hey, thanks Steve. Cheers for checking them out and thanks for the kudos. I’m still learning myself… the barre chord fingering in Rock n Roll All Nite is in Open G tuning so it’s a bit “different” but still a lot like a regular barre chord. Keep at the electric, it’s loads of fun and certainly feels a lot different to play than acoustic stuff. I love both personally.

1 Like

What a crushing disappointment. Where was the make up?? :slight_smile:

Seriously, great job.
Couldn’t help but sing along and play air drums.

Digger

1 Like