JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

Thanks for the feedback & checking it out @Jeff and @JasonBuk

That’s kind of how I felt too Alexis. I just wanted to move on. I wonder if the band actually played it the same as the album live or just went by feel.

Yeah, I love acoustic. I think I like it more than electric tbh. There’s also always something to change in recordings in hindsight… I looked at this one and I think the bass on the acoustic was a bit prominent, I pulled it down in the EQ but it still wasn’t where I wanted it so - well, post it anyway, right?

1 Like

I don’t play electric at all JK but maybe something I should consider getting into. The riff is pretty straightforward on acoustic but sounds way cooler on electric.

1 Like

A 90’s classic that I see you have killed for you wife but not me, that was superb JK. I remember watching Justin’s video on this a while back and decided, no. Nicely put together as well.

Just one small point for me, the vocals kind of overpowered your guitar playing so I’m not sure if you’d want to have a tinker with the sound, if you can that is.

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out Stefan.

Good point, I can’t edit it now I’ve posted it unfortunately - something to think about in the future though.

Nice finger workout JK, hard to keep that up for 2:30 but you did really well. I am with you on the is this rock question. To me its a flat no and there are a few in the book that fall into that category. But at the end of the day they are all useful learning vehicles and that all that matters. I used to say that about Britney and Swift in the old BSB1, playing songs outside your normal listening circle opens up your ears. Great job…but it ain’t rock. :metal:

1 Like

A new entry in the rock thread. This one’s definitely more rock than the last one.

The Offspring - Self Esteem - Cover

Yeah, I love this song. The Offspring were part of the sound of my teen years, This one and Come Out & Play.

Self Esteem is power chords. Some tricky bits here, though. Palm muting on ups and downs was new. And the arrangement was a bit to get down - knowing the timing and the number of hits, etc.

Although all things considered, the song is well under my fingers now. This was a one take, warts and all - live style, rather than polished. The backing track had all guitar removed, so all guitar you hear is me. I think they recorded the record with two guitars playing the same part to make it thicker. I just recorded one guitar.

Tone: Nothing fancy with the tone - just a emulated BOSS DS-1 distortion.

Click me:

14 Likes

Very cool JK. This song is more about energy than precision or trying to be perfect, so it’s good that you went for the live feel.

As in a lot of punk rock songs from that area, there are probably more than two guitars double tracking but it sounds great with just one guitar too.

1 Like

This is such a fun song to play! You did a really good job too. Those fast power chord switches plus the palm muting is way tougher than it looks, not to mention keeping up with the timing after breaks in playing.

1 Like

Ah yes, such a great tune!! I remember being on a school bus trip and a friend loaned me his walkman for the journey and it had this album in it… that was the first time I’d heard it, ran those batteries dead just playing it round and round on that trip :sweat_smile: Freaking love that album and this is probably my favourite track.

Awesome job JK! Love the live, punk vibe you brought to it too, not polished nor perfect, just raw, gritty b@lls to the wall, loving it mate! :metal::confounded:

1 Like

Sounded great, JK. Lots to be said for this ‘play along with downloaded backing minus guitars’ approach (suggests a question to self).

Not a band I know, not being part of my teen years. I was thinking as listening kind of that next generation punk vibe, a little like the little I know of Green Day. Forgive me if I am way off base. And I am wondering if REM’s Monster was released in a similar time frame Yup both released in '94, The Offspings Smash preceding Monster by around 6 months. While Googling I see American Idiot came a decade later.

Keep on rocking!

1 Like

It’s my “pub cover band level” quality target :wink:. I’m not trying to recreate the record and get hung up on perfection :grinning:.

Yeah, it’s super fun. I love playing it. The palm muting is still a bit iffy on the ups (I thought I had all downs palm muting nailed), but I figure just play a couple more years and it will come right :wink:

I discovered the album at my friend’s house… on of his older brother’s CDs. So good. It was on high rotation, played at every party. Thanks for checking my vid out Jeff!

I didn’t even think of doing that until seeing people here doing it (admittedly a long time ago now). Doesn’t apply for acoustic solo stuff of course, but it definitely shows how well you know a song - usually the first time I go to play along to the backing track I realise there is some part of the arrangement I hadn’t considered before!

I discovered Offspring before Green Day, I’m not sure if that goes for general popularity and timing or if that was just me. Liked them both, though, Offspring was a bit more punk.

REM I liked too - although I don’t think I’ve listened to Monster, I had both automatic for the people and new adventures in hi fi at one stage.

4 Likes

Hi JK, what a great song choice - again :star_struck:.
Guess what punk rock band Laura and I saw live in concert exactly one week ago :smiley:?!

We managed to find a place in the very first row. Just a barrier and the security stuff between us and the band - it was sensational :star_struck::metal::fire:.

Self-Esteem was the very last song they played, and the whole crowd sang along. Unforgettable :smiley:!

So, thanks a lot for covering this song. You really did it justice :clap::grinning:.

2 Likes

Those are the 8th and 10th albums, Monster coming in between. Just put New Adventures in Hi-Fi on now as I’ve never listened to that one. I think I’d either stopped buying CDs when it came out or was disillusioned with REM with the release of Monster; it wasn’t to my taste coming after the tremendous Automatic for the People. I enjoyed all the albums from 1 to 8. With the access to music today I reckon a dip into REM’s back catalogue would be a rewarding listen. And so far so good on New Adventures in Hi-Fi :smiley:

2 Likes

Man it’s awesome to see your progress @jkahn !! That’s probably my favorite aspect of this site, is that just in the short time that I have been here, everybody is growing and improving!!

Keep up the good work sir!

1 Like

Greay job JK, such a fantastic tune and you captured the character of it very well. I think this one was way too easy for you :smile:

1 Like

Well now I know you and Laura have excellent taste Nicole! As if I didn’t think so already :rofl:. I bet Dexter and Noodles played it better than me :rofl:.

Must have been awesome though, going to a rock concert with your daughter. Mine are still a bit too young for that. A few more years and we’ll see!

Yep, New Adventures is pretty mellow.

I totally agree there Travis, I love seeing progress videos over time - e.g. @alexisduprey’s series of videos that go back to the early days. Thanks for checking the vid out!

lol, I’ll take that as a compliment Adrian! Really the only new technique here was chugging while doing ups and downs. Took a bit to get the arrangement down for sure. But yeah, this was repertoire building more than accomplishing a dreamer song!

4 Likes

Spoken like a true metalhead :rofl: Just finishing up a first listen, start to finish, and really enjoyed it. No songs that really stood out, just a good listen start to finish with a blend of electric and acoustic. What I would consider to be a reflection of all the best qualities of REM. Thanks for that unexpected, unintended nudge.

1 Like

HI JK,

Classic blast of BritPop.
Very well played.

Reminds me of the Mike Myers film - So I Married an Axe Murderer - great watch for those who’ve never seen it.

Digger

2 Likes

Yes, definitely. We’ve been to several rock concerts already, and we’re always having lots of fun together :smiley:. Fortunately, our taste of music is quite similar :blush:. Next one will be Bruce Springsteen :star_struck:.

1 Like

You are becoming a rock god JK. That was fantastic, they just keep getting better and better. The guitar was sounding pretty darn fine as well. Bravo! :metal: :metal:

1 Like