JK's learning log

Really nice to see your journey and how far you got and how long you been sticking to it.

Quite the inspiration for someone who just started his.

1 Like

Enjoyed the update, JK. You have made inspirational progress. Love being an observer.

1 Like

Thanks @dredmix for checking it out. I’m still learning lots of things, but really happy with how far I’ve come since picking the guitar up. One thing I read really early on was this: How Long Does It Take To Learn Guitar? | Hub Guitar - from google searching “how long does it take to get good at guitar” :rofl: It goes into it’s not how long since you picked it up that counts, it’s how many hours you’ve been at it total that counts more. 1 hour, 7 days a week would see massively more progress than 30 mins 3 days a week, for example.

Thanks David. Reading other people’s learning logs (your roadcase copied over was my first!), and watching historical AVOYPs really helped put it into perspective for me how long you need to stick at this to progress. And that it does happen, even if day to day it doesn’t feel like it sometimes.

2 Likes

Hello Jk, great update…It’s good to read you’re happy with your journey…and I can’t believe it’s only 18 months you’re learning guitar and you’re already so good at it …and you’re already writing songs! I also want to buy a new guitar and I keep on saying “not yet”… Who’s going to buy first…me or you? Ha ha :joy:

It seems to work insofar for your singing…and while one is going slow he/she can make real sense of the things he/she learns or finds out.

1 Like

You, you’re going to buy a new guitar first @SILVIA :rofl:

Anyone can write songs, you just need two chords and some words. With your voice, you could come up with something good. I think let go of expectations that a first song is going to be awesome - it’s going to be flawed, but it will be a song :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I wrote my last learning log at the 18-months-since-starting point, I wasn’t exactly planning to do a learning log entry so soon, just over 2 months later. Yet I find myself wanting to do one to reflect. I feel a bit directionless, and I’ve been thinking about it for a little while.

I have the feeling some regulars here would think a post like this is out of character for me…

I don’t write personal journals and I value the feedback from others in the community so I guess this is a way of trying to figure it out.

Overall, I find myself in a strange place with my guitar playing. Guitar playing feels familiar and natural, but where I’m at feels very unfamiliar and I’m trying to figure out why. I feel quite competent. Any song that is chords and strumming (including quite a few different barre chords) I feel I can pick up almost instantly. Chord decorations, riffs, even some simpler lead stuff. Where previously it was hard to hit the right strings in riffs and lead lines, now I’m more often getting the right ones. So I’m happy with my level at general playing. I struggle with fast bends, I can’t shred, jazz chords are a mystery, I still have limited hand flexibility… I have lots of limitations still. So I’m early intermediate if there was a definition.

I feel I don’t know what I should be practicing, or what direction I should head in. I sit down to practice, I run through the same old s%$* and then I’m stumped. Song revision, hand stretching, major scale practice, sweet child of mine intro practice (months to get up to 115bpm clean, not there yet), then new song practice. But I get to the new song practice and I go all over the place. I have so many songs in progress. The easy ones I learn very quickly but they’re not a challenge and don’t feel worth it. The hard ones I get stuck on for ages slowly, slowly, slowly increasing the speed of faster sections.

It feels a real challenge trying to find songs in that “sweet spot” of just stretching my skills but not too far beyond them. I’m having a hard time identifying them.

I’m not sure what direction I should go. I know what I’m not interested in playing. I doubt I will be in a band anytime soon, I just don’t have the time or interest in finding other people to do it with. I like acoustic, and I like electric. I like fingerstyle, blues rock, rock, pop, all sorts of stuff. Singing feels necessary but is hard work. I’m not sure what to focus on. I’ve written a few songs (a couple some people here have heard now) but when I write a song I’m not improving my guitar skills.

I think my current way of practicing is not working for me anymore. I have just been using the JG practice assistant and then working on whatever I feel like. With so much in progress I’m losing track of what I’m working on. Forgetting about songs I’m 3/4 of the way through. I need to figure out how to get to done-done quicker. I think I’m going to move to a paper practice journal, just writing down what I work on. I do that at the gym and it seems to work for me.

I’m in a time of change in life (good change). We’re moving to a regional town soon, I’m going to have a lot more time to practice guitar, and I want to use the time wisely. So I want to practice well. The last few weeks have been very busy. I’ve alternated between not having a guitar, to practicing for hours in a day, to looking at the guitars and choosing video games instead because I don’t have the mental energy. Although I still play every day, the last few weeks it has sometimes not been that much. Today I drove over 400km and I honestly just don’t feel like doing a practice session (although I still played a bit).

Pressure. (Entirely self imposed). I’ve set myself up for this one a bit. I post videos of my progress and like all humans love positive attention (I don’t think I’m unique there). I’ve had so many positive comments I feel pressure to always be improving. Trying to get better, faster. Improving the skills. I’m caught on building skill vs developing repertoire or trying to do both simultaneously. I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently. Should I attack harder and harder things or just learn more and more songs that are within reach? Is gaining guitar skills a race? It shouldn’t be. After some navel gazing I think that learning more and more repertoire is the more satisfying direction. But I’m not entirely convinced about it, I’m still toing and froing. Is it a failure to post an easy song I’ve learned? It almost feels like it.

That was all over the place. The only thing I’ve convinced of is that I need to record my practice differently, so I’m going to buy a paper notebook for it. Otherwise, I’m still unsure of my direction.

9 Likes

Hi Jk,
There are a lot on this list that have been bothering you for a while I think, even though they seem to revolve around one thing (yes guitar), I benefit a lot from getting the somewhat difficult songs as perfect as possible, because it helps me a lot during when I improvise and to be able to go “loose” … I don’t get satisfaction playing just rhythm guitar, yes with a band maybe a little later on a stage, but not like that in front of the camera because that is too easy for me…( without singing) … and I’m not doing that yet :blush:) I’m working on a lot of songs at the same time and I’m sure that’s not the fastest way to learn songs , but I like it like this and once a week or how convenient I’m start working on a new song or a song from the old box … today I looked again at the first song I started here on the site … a very bad idea back then but it was Tears in Heaven … so once every six months I check whether it is already working within a full day of practice … and oh yes just working on Greensleeves (I had forgotten) so I was quite busy this morning also thinking of you…realy :grin:
I work with all kinds of loose paper lying around and every week I come across something that says something (song a riff or excercise or???) and then I think … nice, I’m going to do that (again) today. Change your routine choose numbers/practise outside your comfort zone (again?) …

I can’t imagine that my story is of any use to you…I have hours of fun with the guitar every day but it is difficult to put it into words as you can read what exactly I do … it is actually chaos here but i like it… I have time on my side during the day so efficient practice is not necessary here to still have a visible and audible make progress every …Month?..
It is good that you sharing your story and I’m sure you’ll get something good out of it :sunglasses:
Greetings from Holland :smiley:

PS:ask all the questions you want…I often need time before something sensible comes out :grimacing:

3 Likes

Hi JK,
There is not a lot I can offer as I am still too new to this game, but, I would suggest that the appreciative comments of your performances are not there to pressurise you. Personally I love to hear the songs no matter how difficult they are. Simple songs often sound a lot better than the really complicated songs.

Re the practice routine. At an early stage I used the practice app but soon found that overwhelming, so I now use the paper route. I print out a blank practice sheet which covers 14 days and at the start of the fortnight I write down what I want to practice that fortnight. This way it’s a new practice routine every 14 days. I find it keeps it relevant and interesting.

I hope this helps and that you find your future path that suits you…

4 Likes

ahhh JK that sounds very very familiar (take a look at my overly long reply to a thread today). I think it’s pretty natural you get to a point where you say “what next”.

It’s tricky one but I’d urge you to at least think about seeking others out locally in the real world who play…even if you don’t want to play try and find a few local events, OMs or guitar/musician groups and just go along. You might find they give you a bit of inspiration or indeed realise how far you’ve travelled and how good you’ve become. You might even make a few contacts. Who knows a JK guitar/vocal combo with another singer! or guitarist! doesn’t need to be band.

Sounds like a little change is required somewhere just to reinvigorate/inspire you again on your journey.

5 Likes

Seems like it is invitable that one has these moments, JK.

Maybe some reflecting on why you are playing, what personal needs it satisfies may help. With those insights you may be able to figure out an appropriate direction.

1 Like

Hi JK,

I don’t have any advice for you. Everyone is different in what inspires and motivates them, but I’ll share what I do in hopes that there is something in it that is helpful to you or others.

For me, its “songs, songs, songs” (@Richard_close2u) Skill development is an enabler. I like learning new skills, but I get the most satisfaction from learning and playing songs. I enjoy playing songs even when they are not particularly technically challenging for me, as long as I like the song and can play it with the kind of feeling that I get when listening to it. I don’t sing well so sometimes when learning or playing a song I think of myself as a session player (as if I know what this is really like). What part am I here to play? How do I contribute to making the song sound good? How do I fit in with the other instruments/vocals? Be it a rhythm part or a lead/highlight part. Or since its just me playing, how do I integrate a couple of parts into a single cohesive part that I can play?

Inspiration for new songs to learn comes from a variety of places:

• I have a large library of songs collected over the years that we use as a source of music to listen in the house. We’ll be listening to something that catches my interest and I’ll add to my list of songs to look at.
  • I hear it in the car or when visiting someone with different music taste and think I should give that a go.
  • There are lots of suggestions in JG lessons for songs that can be used to practice new skills. I learn and play them to practice the skills and, in the process, I may discover a song that I like. I then spend more time with it and add it to my catalogue.
  • And one unanticipated source is the Musopia app. A while back I started to use the app as a practice vehicle for playing different chord shapes. Once a month or so, I would pick a genre and play every song in the order they appear. It didn’t matter if I was familiar with it or if I thought I wouldn’t like it. I just played it. In fact it was better when I didn’t know the song. After getting the general flow, I would start choosing other chord shapes, on the fly, in time, replacing the mostly open chords being displayed. E-shape, A-shape, C-shape, triads, whatever. I found it to be good practice, but In the process I discovered songs that I liked playing that I never would have picked out another way. At this point I go find a YT and start learning the song more completely.

I agree with Jason’s @Rossco01 comment about playing with others. I have no issue with what I’m doing now and how I’m progressing, but I think playing with others would add a completely different dimension to my playing and what I need to work on. I had some experience playing with others 55 years ago and I liked it, or so I think 55 years later. I’ve started down this path and we’ll see where it leads.

Good luck in your journey.

4 Likes

I think JK focus should be at what you want to learn and what makes you excited about picking up guitar. You mentioned lots of stuff I have been doing in the past as well which eventually I sort of gave up on due to lack of time and will to do it. Nowadays I just pick a song or two to work on simultaneously and that’s how my practice looks really, when I am going to feel I need to improve my theory or understand better how to come up with a fantastic melody/song that’s where my focus will move onto.

I think getting the right song is crucial to develop. Intro riff from Sweet Child O’Mine is really tricky, as we like to say around here first let’s learn how to walk before we start running kind of the approach. Songs I would suggest for you to look at in your own time with some relatively achievable lead work are as follows:

RHCP - Scar Tissue
RHCP - This Velvet Glove
Arctic Monkeys - R U mine
Peter Green - Need your love so bad

Once you get easier ones under your fingers the more difficult ones will appear a lot easier trust me. You are definitely going into right direction as clearly anyone can tell how well you moved on since starting your journey, no reason now to loose hope for further growth!

5 Likes

Lots of familiar feelings in your post JK. I’ve been struggling a lot lately with some of the things you are describing. (As you know we’re both in early intermediate so that makes a lot of sense). Not much advice other than to say you are not alone in your struggles and just some anecdotal things that I’ve done.

I limit myself to learning only 2 songs at a time. I’ve found that anymore and I won’t be able to learn any well enough to post in a AVOYP (My personal gauge of “it’s time to move on”).

This one might just be me but, as you know, I’ve also been using Justin’s Rock songbook as a curated list of songs to learn rock guitar. As a gamer, I’d consider myself somewhat of a completionist (Gimme that coveted platinum trophy/1000 gamerscore, lol) and that goes for those books as well. I learn both the songs I like and ones that aren’t really my Jam. I’ve learned a lot from both, but again that could just be me.

Ultimately, what has worked for me can be shortened to just “structure”. I feel like if I don’t have structure then I’m just floating in a sea of possibilities without a compass. So, maybe going the paper route will offer the kind of structure you need.

2 Likes

Mate, know where you is at.

For sure keep plugging away at the technical stuff, that takes time, and is worth the effort, every single musician does this, pro’s included, it doesn’t end.

I know we have a community here but I think what you are missing is collaboration, physically creating with other musicians.

1 Like

… and some of us, quite the opposite, my friend :wink:
Take a deep breath, step back and marvel at how far you have travelled.
You’ve only been playing the guitar for 22 months! :open_mouth:
You play acoustic and electric, fingerstyle, barre chords, solos…
You post AVOYPs, take part in the OMs/Livestream.
You have recently been sharing original compositions (and very decent ones too, I might add). You have acquired some stunning axes.
On top of all of that you have become one of the mainstays of the Community, with special ‘expertise’ in IT/OM support.

I think I remember jokingly warning you of burning out like a shooting star in the past and although this does not sound like burnout, you might benefit from a period of ‘unfocused consolidation’. What about giving yourself a couple of weeks/months of unstructured guitar time. No goals. Just do whatever you feel like, whenever you do, perhaps even a short break. It might reveal what you miss the most or what you’d like to focus on.
I’ve mentioned it before, and recall you saying you weren’t that attracted to theory, but would this be a good time to explore that path? With your affinity for patterns (drums) and analytical mind (IT), I would have thought the logic and beauty of musical theory would be right up your alley. It would also be a useful tool in any future songwriting.
The above-mentioned suggestions of finding others to play with would probably be one of the most satisfying outlets for you. Everyone who does it says it is a game-changer.
I ‘chicken out’ on that front, playing with my Trio+ band and occasionally collaborating with friends and family via the internet. Your recent get-together with the Kiwi suggests you’d be happy to play live with others if you found them.
To sum it up, mate…
Lie back and smell the roses! :rose:

10 Likes

+1 on Brian’s comment.

2 Likes

JK @jkahn

I realy shouldn’t be offering advice given that I am light years behind you on the journey, but I totally agree with Brian’s suggestion of playing with others and speaking from experience it is a whole new dynamic and a game changer.
Michael

1 Like

I’m drawn back to the thinking that prompted my earlier reply, JK. And this is a bit of rambling thought, perhaps more indicative of my own mindsets than anything else.

I think having a sense of why, purpose, and intention is generally helpful. I’ve not picked up on that from your post on this topic.

The suggestions made by others are all good. I’d just caveat and say if they don’t align to your ‘why’ then they may not be that helpful.

I have a few times asked people about their ‘why’. And that is something quite individual. Something I tend to think a little about, for myself and out of interest in understanding other peoples motivations.

Now I suppose there are some for who the dynamic of learning and getting better is an end in itself. The feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment from the process of learning to do something difficult is all the ‘why’ they need. For them guitar is a perfect hobby since it offers near limitless potential.

But if that is not it, then I can imagine that after a while the process of learning more and more skills, able to reproduce more and more difficult solos just like the original, could eventually begin to feel a bit like a treadmill. One might think ‘now what, so what’. And for sure, the recognition of the Community as videos are shared will be a positive, but perhaps that too could become ‘stale’.

Hope that makes sense, regardless of how useful it may be.

3 Likes

Sounds like you have finally hit one of the many plateaus you will encounter on your learning journey. And I am pleased that its taken you this long. That’s long not as in time but your seamless ability to make great progress and accumulate techniques and apply them. Many of us hit them more frequently but the scary ones are those where you stand on top of the flat mojoless mountain top and can’t find the map for where to go next.

I know @Rossco01 Jason has mentioned this in the past and in his recent post elsewhere but at the end of the old Intermediate is was common to lose your way and wonder just what the heck to do next. The way I dealt with that was to spend a lot of time consolidating all I had learnt up to the stage of the journey and take some time out from learning new skills.

Just enjoy your playing using the skills you have, step off the bus and chill by the roadside. And as Brain says

I think you can then take your time and think about where you want to go and start planning on how to get there. What skills you need etc but take your time figuring out.
You have made amazing progress, with diligent and persistent practice, reward your self with some time out.

There may not be a ready made route to where that may be and you might need to ask for detections but there are folk here who will guide you.

You are moving to a new location and no doubt making new friends. That’s a good opportunity to get involved with local guitarist and musicians. As Jason said, I think this will be of benefit and may aid you in the search for direction, even if you are not interested in joining a band. Playing with others will make to a better player. Its the only thing I regret about being in a rural location in the world of wine and accordions !!

You have also started to delve into lead play and building your chops. Have you tried some laid back improvisation ala @CT . Why not chill out with a set really longs backing tracks and just experiment with what you have, no objective just noodle.

Above all take the pressure of constant improvement out of the picture for a month or three. Embrace your abilities, look at how far you’ve come and take pride in that. Then open a tinnie and chill. Your path will come to you are when your ready as will your mojo.

:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I’ve read each of them multiple times over. I don’t think I can respond to each point in every comment, but know that I’ve got a bit of insight from each of them. But I will respond to every person.

It’s taken me a while to get around to responding while I absorb them - and I also got sick, I’ve come down with a cold :roll_eyes:.

It seems these feelings are common at some stage. Plateau (if it is that?), lack of direction. I’m still not sure what direction I’m ultimately going to head in, but I’ve had a think about the short term at least.

I got that paper notebook 2 days ago and have recorded the last 2 days of practice in it. Still figuring out the format. But I have reflected on what I’m going to change:

• I had stopped going through the grades very fast at all. Super slow, so I wasn’t watching or practicing a lot of lesson. I’m getting back on grade 4 (blues set pieces, then blues lead). And actually going to record “learning” time as practice time. I think I had in my head that learning from the videos was different than guitar-in-hand practice.
  • I’m going to cut down my songs-on-the-go to 3, max. One electric, one acoustic and one easier repertoire. I had way too many in half finished states. I’m not going to pick a direction of acoustic/rock/blues etc, still just learn whatever songs I want.
  • I spend a lot of time playing my historical repertoire. I’m going to cut that down and spend most of the song time on new songs.
  • At the end of grade 4 I’m going to stop and consolidate for a while, and just do songs.

Insightful as ever David, and I don’t think I have a big purpose with it. I mainly play for enjoyment, and I enjoy getting better. I love performing but have no grand ambitions around it. I just picked up the guitar one day and started to learn to play. I’m not sure if I can pick a destination yet. This is probably why I’m unsure on where to head.

I’m somewhat more focused on efficiency I think Roger - not sure if that’s a negative or positive personality trait. I also try to get the songs as reasonably-good as I can for my level, while stretching my level a bit, rather than perfect.

Thank you Tony, and for sure, all the pressure I put on myself is 100% caused by me! And not anybody else. Interesting around enjoying simple songs just as much as complicated ones. Thanks.

I went and hunted your comment down in the other thread Jason. An interesting journey you’ve had, with a few uncertain direction moments. The perspective really helped.

Right now where I live (the outer suburbs of a big city) there isn’t much close by in terms of musician events. I seem to live in a dead zone for it. The CBD area does but that’s really far away from me. The smaller town I’m moving to in a few months (Sunshine Coast) does have a bit more music stuff going on and I’m hoping to go check out a real life OM.

Yeah that makes sense David. I also play lots of songs - just feeling like that part is a bit of a mess right now. Picking them up, dropping them, forgetting what I was working on for a week or so then ending up with loads in progress.

Interesting that you mainly just do song practice now Adrian. I’ve found stuff like the sweet child of mine riff has really helped my string skipping and picking accuracy. And I’m almost there! 115 out of 125 bpm… but yeah, it’s tricky. Thanks for those song tips. I’ll add them to my near(ish) term list of things to look at.

lol, this is hilarious Alexis and doesn’t surprise me for some reason. I’m the opposite kind of gamer, the kind that only plays for the story usually, and ignores all the side quests! The only Platinum I got was in bloodborne because I liked it so much. Although I’m not so much like that on guitar.

Already I’m feeling the paper based logging provides more of the structure I need. A kind of flexibility to the structure where the practice assistant is rigid and every time you change something it needs to be reconfigured.

11 Likes