JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

nice performance! had good vibes watching to this :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the watch @LBro @Digger72 @sairfingers @yigiterinc

My flying saucer! I was planning on flying it over the USA. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a hand-pan steel hand drum, tuned to Am pentatonic. I’ve been thinking about doing a video one day to show it, although it’s not a guitar so not sure how that would go down.

Ah! I had a discussion with my wife about that one… she reckoned it would be better with Elsa hidden and the disguise was bad enough as it was, my hunch is that Elsa would make it funnier… should have gone with my gut there. Although she is usually right.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: Great video JK and the get-up, well, I’m still lost for words. :smiley:

That was some very nifty playing, you made it look simple but I suspect it isn’t. Great tone on the guitar as well.

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out Stefan :grinning:

All the great comments all of the previous posters said. Absolutely brilliant JK, well done mate!:wave::wave::wave::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Nirvana - In Bloom - Cover

Another rock songbook song. Yep, I did this on the JG Open Mic today, so if you watched that, feel free to skip this one! This is a recording with the guy on the backing track singing, not me. There’s a solo in this one… not perfectly executed but good enough for me for now.

The tones, the tones, what are they? I “built” them myself in my Fender Mustang GTX modelling amp:

• The main dirty tone is a Fender Twin Reverb clean amp with spring reverb and BOSS DS-1 distortion pedal
  • The clean (dirty clean) is the same amp without the DS-1 and with a hell of a lot of chorus (sine chorus)
  • The solo tone is the dirty tone with an octave pedal adding some octave-up effect

Enjoy! Or don’t, that bit’s up to you. Feedback always welcome.

Click me:

Oh yeah, I also played around with some new video editing software.

10 Likes

One of my favorites from the rock songbook. I had to miss the open mic so glad you posted. Great tones, great mix, great solo, what’s not to love.

Really liked the solo in particular. I haven’t tried it before so cant offer advice but it sounded amazing to my ears.

Creeping closer to smells like teen spirit, any plans to do any of the songs in between? There are definitely some great ones there but can’t beat Nirvana man.

1 Like

Watched this one more for the solo to compare to the one off OM rendition last night, super tight and sounded awesome here JK. The rhythm pieces and tones were bang on both last night and on this. Sound quality also noticably better in this YT version, guess that’s Zoom for you.

Awesome work :+1:

1 Like

Super cool, JK! Loved this in the OM and loved it again watching your AVOYP. Thanks for sharing the tone secrets, the distorted tone is so chunky and adding the octave to the solo sounded spot on!
Playing on the rhythm is super tight as usual and those discordant unison bends (is that the correct term?) in the solo sound great, just like the original to my ears. Well done again mate! Keep 'em coming!! :metal:

PS: loved the video arrangement, going in to the tight shot and back out again kept it engaging throughout. Picking you edited using the DaVinci Resolve software?

1 Like

@alexisduprey Thanks for checking it out Alexis, and you of all people know these songs really well :wink:.

If the solo sounds good to you, I’m happy about that. I couldn’t get the first 3 bends to sound how I wanted, but hey, OK for now. So many bad tabs out there for the solo btw. The best video lesson I found was Carl Brown / GuitarLessons365 solo lesson. And then I refined it with the one from Guitar Pro’s MySongBook (which seemed also very accurate). They’re all a bit different.

I reckon I’ll do all the rest of the songs in the beginner section except The Ballad of Jayne and I Remember You. I listened to those and just can’t get into them. So there will be a while before more Nirvana!

Glad you liked it Mark. I was pretty happy with my timing, bends need some work (don’t they always!). Funny on the sound quality, yeah that would be Zoom for you. I used Ableton for the mix for both.

If they’re called unison bends I’ll go with that! Mucking around with tone is fun, and so easy to just google what gear the greats used and copy that with a modeller :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Yep, I did the edit in DaVinci Resolve. A bit of learning to use it, lots of googling and watching youtube clips. I should probably follow a tutorial series of something to learn it properly, it’s REALLY good software, thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

I thought I’d better check I had this right?! :sweat_smile: So I did a quick search and Justin has a lesson on them or at least I think it’s the same thing - does he have lessons for everything or what?! :exploding_head: :laughing:
Unison Bending Technique
I have come across them a couple of times before (MOP interlude solo has one for instance) but not been able to pull them off myself yet but they sound awesome! I’ll need to watch this before I attempt MOP again :wink:

That’s good news on Resolve, I’m going to start checking it out tonight! :slight_smile::+1:

1 Like

Thanks for this! Maybe this is because I love the song so much, but of all the songbook covers I’ve done, I’m the least happy with In Bloom. It’s on my list to one day re-record. That day won’t be coming any time soon since I want to at least finish the beginner section before the attempt, but I definitely want to do the solo when the time comes.

Smells like teen spirit is my next song and that has a pretty great beginner level solo in it too. :wink:

1 Like

What else can I say? Superb cover sound was absolutely IT! Loved it and thanks for covering Nirvana, I must dare one day to cover a song too! :grinning:

1 Like

Awesome stuff JK. I love checking out anything you post and once again you didn’t disappoint with this one. Absolutely stunning guitar BTW.

1 Like

Yeah i think he does! Honestly I just blagged them, no lessons on unison bends yet for me (just bending). So don’t copy me :crazy_face:.

We’re all our own harshest critics. I thought your playing in it was good. In general your playing is super tight. Yeah I’ve played the riffs in teen spirit many, many times but not learned the arrangement. I actually learned it only a couple of months into playing from a tab - I really, really wanted to learn a solo. Could play it then (although of course not great). You will find it easy I think. Paul Davids has a video of him playing that solo really, really well. I learnt it with slides, not bends. I’m not sure what is the right way. Paul Davids probably played it better than Kurt…

@adi_mrok Glad you liked it mate, I think you’ll find Nirvana really easy if you have a go. Compared to the stuff I usually see you play!

@Eddie_09 Thanks for the feedback Eddie. I also check out all your videos… it’s been a while since the last one? :thinking: Maybe another one soon? :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi Jk,
Nice and heavy those chords :sunglasses: :clap:…and I see you have a new guitar :smile:, at least I don’t see it on the other videos in my you-tube line…so a belated happy NGD…or not :laughing:
Greetings…

lol @roger_holland I was wondering if someone would be so eagle eyed… you must be talking about my new red lego strat? :rofl:

Well it was a gift for my birthday last month and I put it together last week. Still have a bit of the amp to do.

Nicely played sir.

1 Like

You’re not kidding, he sounds great. Ive seen some of his other list videos and he always sounds incredible.

Seems like there are a couple of different ways to play it. I’ve been learning it from Justin and he plays most of it on the 3rd string with some bends on the 8th and 3rd fret.

1 Like

That was superb JK. You did a great job with the song. Your guitar playing on these rock songs really shines. Bravo!

1 Like

Late to the party on here but being a folllower I did check them out when you published them on the tube.

RE: La Grange - looked the part and played the part… what can I say… a great bit of confident rhythm playing and you definately got to grips with the hybrid picking.

RE: In Bloom - you took your playing up another notch taking on the solo which sounded really good to my ears.

You’re making short work of these rock studies (and not just by skipping a few songs :roll_eyes:) and delivering some great covers. Great stuff mate.

1 Like