JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

Sounding great JK. I like the idea of a rock songbook thread and look forward to your additions :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

2 Likes

Fabolous work JK watched it on Tubez first as a faithful subscriber :grinning: stunning play, as an ex drummer rhythm flows through your veins and I would say song was definitely too easy for where you are at now :grinning: not sure what dreamer songs you learn but definitely worth playing songs that have some things in common with your dreamer tracks like chord changes etc. This one seemed to be was easy peasy for you which made it a very enjoyable cover to listen to!

2 Likes

No such thing :wink:

Well done JK, nice clean stops. Great tone.

The song book sounds a nice idea.

Have to agree, there were some funny artefacts on the vocals backing track?? Have you got software slowing it down?

Anyway, your part was outstanding :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @jkahn ,
Well done.
Inspirational and very cool recording.
Thanks for sharing!!!
Rene

2 Likes

Yeehaaa JK! That was rad! :metal: Your tone was so on point mate, and your mutes between strums on the main riff were precision. I know what you’re saying about facial expression, that’s my dilemma too :joy: but anything you played with that gorgeous guitar has to look killer! :sweat_smile:
Did note what some others mentioned about the backing track being slightly off, nothing to do with your playing but there was something odd with that, perhaps slowed down a touch which threw it out of tune?
Anyways, I wouldn’t worry about that when your playing is well beyond drunken pub gigs mate, bring on the next RBS installment! Yeeeeewwwww ! :metal:

2 Likes

awyeah!

We started a project at work yesterday about Electric vehicles etc and we called it AC/DC :smiley:
This one is going to be stuck in my head all day :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback & replies, it was a pretty busy day at work and just getting around to a response now.

I do spend a bunch of time tone-chasing Mari… but my amp also has an app, where I searched for “ACDC” and it downloaded a preconfigured tone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. And the Seymour Duncans do the rest.

Well that gives me hope of playing in a band one day :rofl:. Just give the punters more alcohol, the more they drink the better I sound :rofl:.

There’s definitely a lot of stuff in the RSB from the 90s, and some from the early 00s. Also plenty of 70s and 80s stuff though… something for everyone :wink:. I don’t think I’ll be doing them all. I think it would be pretty cool if you cherry pick a few Toby, then we’ll have a whole RSB community thing going! We’d all just have to avoid the comparos I reckon.

Sure you can, it’s down the bottom you can pick “Tracking” or “Watching”. Watching I think it spams you every time someone replies, tracking just highlights it blue in the community list. Glad you like the idea Stacy!

Glad you liked it Alexis! It’s heaps of fun to play, as you know. If I got you playing along that’s a win in my view :grinning:. Oh yeah, I love the sound of the guitar too of course… my telelespaul abomination with its fat-as humbuckers.

Rogier, Rogier, I still don’t have any AVOYPs from you, I feel you’re racking up an AVOYP debt… :rofl:. Glad you liked mate.

And OK - here is what I think the thing is with Angus’s solo. The song is in Eb tuning, but Angus is tuned slightly sharp. So who knows what happened… but I used a karaoke-version backing track, and maybe they did their backing track also slightly out of tune like the original? Cause it’s not the real Angus playing in my one. I guess they weren’t as focused on their tuning in the 70s.

4 Likes

Hey Phil. Oh, totally. I pull a derp angry face which is not what I’m usually like, I’m usually a mostly positive guy. If it’s not a derp face it looks like I’m chewing on some really, really old gum. Ugh.

Maybe playing in front of a giant mirror might work for us… although then I’m afraid my playing might go to :poop:. Glad you liked it Mark!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That’s hilarious, at least it’s a healthy rabbit. I also do the mouth thing… my wife recorded it when I wasn’t looking and showed me, it looks terrible, I’ve been trying to stop it.

Hey LBro, glad you liked it. Production-wise I just loaded the backing-track into my DAW, hit record and set volume level between backing track vs guitar. Did a few takes because I realised I hadn’t worked out the exact count of some of the longer pauses (3 count vs 4 count). :crazy_face:.

So @roger_holland and @nzmetal also mentioned the backing track being off. It wasn’t actual AC/DC, it was a karaoke-version cover track I downloaded. Which might be part of it. I wondered if I stretched it out accidentally in Ableton but nope, I just checked by re-importing the backing track again into a different Ableton track and it’s exactly the same length. It might just be that the original was in Eb and slightly sharp, and maybe they reproduced the out of tune bit too? Or maybe they played it in tune, and then post-processed/pitch shifted it to get it out of tune like the original. I don’t know, weird.

“Learn songs” → “Learn lots and lots of songs”. Yeah, definitely heard that somewhere, wonder where :thinking: :grinning:
I learned from that google search that slugs are even MORE gross when made huge. Ugh! John Mayer is pulling a total derp face… some of them just look cool though, like James Hetfield and Dave Grohl.

Thanks Jason, I give all tone credit to the Fender app :wink:.

Thanks for checking it our David! And for the edit, should be pretty easy for me to keep that up to date.

Gurning, what have I been missing from my life! Inspired by people with no teeth everywhere :rofl:.

5 Likes

I did one, even singing :grimacing: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: … okay I shouldn’t promote this and it was more of a personal thing to Brian and not for the big share, but it cost blood sweat and tears,so i`m of the hook for a few weeks :sweat_smile:

That out of tune thing is a shame and I don’t understand it yet, it has nothing to do with how you play, that’s good and tight, but for me the solo part cannot be listened to so clearly it’s out of tune, I would do it again with another backing track because it is not close to the original…I think almost everyone wants to be nice, and are afraid to hurt you (I hope so) but this is at the expense of your good guitar playing… :innocent:
Greetings

Edit: i read the extra above,but no explenation so ?? it`s the backing ,but how and what ???Lbro should now this better :smile:

2 Likes

@Eddie_09 @jpparlier @ReneAsologuitar Thanks for checking it out guys!

Adrian I’m almost internet famous now with 28 subscribers :rofl:. And only one of them is my mum! Glad that the tubez subscriptions jam my videos in your feed :rofl:.

Yeah I have to admit the rhythm was not hard. Just had to focus on getting the mutes down, without them it sounds messy. Took a little bit of work to get the larger timing elements down. I’m still plan to do dreamer songs, just not as many as I was trying to learn with new chord shapes etc.

Thanks Dave! And yeah, I’m still working on dreamer songs… just not almost exclusively. The backing track got a few comments now, it’s straight off karaoke-version so it’s not the original band but they must have run some processing on it I reckon.

Thanks Jeff! It’s not a super hard song but fun to play, and I think it has to be played tight to sound good. A lot of AC/DC is like that. I tagged you in another comment about the backing track, I’m not sure what was up with that.

Now to start a pub band… as long as I’m home by 10pm otherwise I’m exhausted the next day :rofl:.

At least there’s 40 years of albums to play for theme songs :wink:.

3 Likes

What, a private video for Brian and not an AVOYP for us? :astonished:

Yeah I don’t think I’ll be recording again with a new backing track, I wanted one with the solo in it and I couldn’t find one on Youtube. I’m not sure why it sounds weird. Maybe I did munge it in Ableton but not sure how.

2 Likes

You rock!!! That was fantastic, JK :sunglasses: The only thing missing was the JB dance :roll_eyes: I look forward to following you on this rock project.

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:
This sounds sooo wrong…I really laughed a few cramps in my stomach and still grin while typing,… :laughing:
It was in a topic from Brian, and no I’m not going to post a link…I can tell you where to look…in the 8mm topic…it is a video of me playing…so :smile:
Don’t look forward to it too much, playing alone is perfect … singing alone was not good but okay for the business … together KUCH Beeep :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

From memory the Highway to Hell song is recorded slightly flat. That’s probably why the solo sounds off. It’s about half a semitone flat. If you try playing along to the recording with standard pitch it sounds foul. You can adjust the pitch of the song online using a website such as this.

Try increasing by 0.5 semitones and see how you go. You might have to experiment.

That is a great guitar btw!

4 Likes

Super tones and rhythm going on there JK. Well done. Working your way through the Rock song book will keep you busy for a while. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @jkahn great stuff, and a wonderful way to show the gems in the JG Rock Songbook. A great contribution to the entire community.

I will follow your thread! I am always in awe of you rock guitar aficionados. Wonderful playing, getting in to the solo’s and where in heavens name do you find these backing tracks!

This may stimulate me to break out the acoustic songbook, and rather than peck and hunt, bring me to explore the songs that
I am not that familiar with.

A big congrats to you!

2 Likes

Hi @Matt125 there are more slower downers that do the same.

Justins favourite is Transcribe! (http://geni.us/transcribe)

The one I use on the iPhone is Anytune (https://www.anytune.app/)

2 Likes

This is a really small thing about the books that I really appreciate. There’s just something about checking those boxes that feels like inching forward bit by bit.

Can’t speak for JK, but I get most of my backing tracks from https://www.karaoke-version.com/

They can be hit or miss, but what’s great about them is that you can customize the track by removing instruments. You can keep the lead guitar for example but take out the rhythm so you can just play that part.

This is particularly great for really dense mixes with exotic instruments where you can keep those parts but just take out the rhythm part that you want to play.

I say go for it, I haven’t loved every single song that I’ve played so far in the rock songbook but every single one has taught me something. Often times doubly so for songs that I wasn’t particularly interested in. I expect you’ll find the same thing with the acoustic songbook.

5 Likes

That’s a really good point, actually. I also watch a lot of bass videos (I may have a bass on layaway… please don’t judge me.). Bassists can pull some great faces; it’s inspirational.

On a more serious note, strong work, as always, JK. :partying_face:

I currently own a few of Justin’s songbooks (Christmas, Easy, Beginner Vol. 1 and Beginner Vol. 2). I mostly use them as reference books, looking up particular songs I want to learn, hence why I’ve purchased so many. It’s like I’m building a songbook encyclopedia. :rofl: After I get through with my consolidation, perhaps I should try to just work through more songs from the books, ticking off as many boxes as I can on the contents pages. I was considering purchasing his Acoustic Songbook as well, now that I own an acoustic, but I may just have book acquisition syndrome.

Edit to Add:

How do you like the Acoustic Songbook?

2 Likes

Hi @alexisduprey you are proceeding through these lists in quite the linear fashion! That calls for discipline!

OK, I take the challenge, step one is establishing a playlist with a streaming service, and listen to those songs, and then listen again. Then check for which ones Justin actually made a tutorial. Then establish a sequence. Then jump in :wink:

3 Likes