Just Breathe - progress video (instrumental)

Thanks for checking it out guys. Maybe I set it up too much. It’s not close to performance ready, but man… I posted it even after the zone out. But yes I’m happy with how I’ve progressed with the song since starting to learn it, that’s why I posted :grinning:. Hard to look at the mistakes and still send it.

When I started the picking pattern it was excruciatingly slow, one string at time, over and over again.

@DavidP I couldn’t do that stretch when I started. And the song isn’t that much longer, as you found out, I shortened it by probably 12 bars or so :-).

Thanks Gordon. Took me quite some time to get it to where it is!

I must have missed your video of The End when you posted it. Probably before forum reading became regular for me! I just went and watched it, and wow - that is easier than Just Breathe?

When posting this I knew I would get the thumb photo! :rofl: I’ve looked at it and can’t seem to do that position while still picking. I’m missing something in my technique. I probably need to actually do some more fingerpicking video watching/learning to try to get the position down right.

I figure Just Breathe is a song I’ll still be working on in a year :grinning:.

Thanks Darrell, I celebrate when I play it through without too many bung notes :grinning:. Overall pretty happy with where the song is at for my level, but always keen to learn.

1 Like

JK I was entranced with the sweet tones of your Maton and taken away somewhere very nice. :heart_eyes:

I’ve taken a lesson from this. As a listener, none of the ‘stuff’ mattered nor did I notice because I was in my happy place. What I remember is the happy place. I’m going to keep that in mind next OM I do.

Back to you, I have no doubt that as you develop this piece it will be gorgeous.

It makes me happy that you enjoyed it Maggie. Really good to hear that what I saw as little mess ups didn’t affect your listening pleasure.

I’m pretty lucky with the Maton. I tried a lot of guitars before picking this one, and mainly picked it for how good it sounds in person, and how great it feels to play. I didn’t even test the pickup system, I’d heard the AP5 Pro was good, but it turns out it makes some really nice sounds recorded. I did apply one of the default Ableton reverb effects to the sound too.

1 Like

As most people eluded to above, you seem to be a harsh critic of yourself in the intro that you wrote. I thought it’s sounding good so far.
I might actually try it out as a fingerstyle exercise - but doubt that my stubby fingers could do that pinky stretch that you do to the 6th fret (I think)…very impressive.

I’d say there’s a positive way to look at zoning out, as I have found myself doing that too sometimes. Drifting into another thought whilst playing a song sort of indicates that you are quite comfortable with some aspects of what you are playing in that moment - whether it’s the picking fingers doing the pattern by themselves without you even realising it or the fretting hand just doing it’s own thing without much concentration.
Well that’s at least what I try to tell myself whenever I snap out of a zoning out moment haha

1 Like

Wow JK, you certainly underplayed yourself in the writeup before hand.

I thought that was excellent playing. Really great finger picking and I can’t wait for the finished song.

We all have brain farts, it’s our age. :smiley:

1 Like

Nice share JK :smiley:
You appear to be ‘in the zone’ and I’m not just talking playing-wise. Your playing and progress, your enthusiasm and participation in the OM and community in general.
It’s obvious this has become an important part of your life. Enjoy it.
You mentioned over in the last OM thread:

That reminded me so much of my first year or two on the old forum, impatiently awaiting feedback and interaction after sharing an AVOYP or entering one of the old monthly song competitions that Justin used to adjudicate. For me, some of that fizzy excitement has been replaced by a deeper satisfaction. Not sure which I prefer really :thinking: :wink:
Oh yeah, well played.
Keep it up :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ll take the positive from that then :grinning:. I found myself thinking - “where was I?” Thanks for checking it out Sandro. That pinky stretch, my hands aren’t the biggest either, it’s a 3rd fret to 6th so not too bad.

I’m beginning to think I went too hard on the setup :rofl:. In truth that stuff is all the stuff I’ve been focusing on, and it’s what I hear, what I need to work on. Glad you enjoyed it Stefan. I’ll blame being tired from not getting enough sleep for years on the temporary space cadet moment :grinning:.

You got me Brian… like a window into my soul from the far side of the world, is your Hagstrom enchanted? Yeah, this guitar stuff and the community are a big part of my time. A bit obsessed, learning new songs and skills. Loving watching other people’s playing at all stages (from the newbies to the pros), getting feedback & tips on mine. Trying not to post too much :rofl:.

One day maybe I’ll end up an old hand relaxed while throwing out obscure old school punk B sides (although for me that would be Kiwi or Aussie grunge). Gotta be cured of that red light fever first!

1 Like

Well I have to say that was a very enjoyable romp JK and thought you did a good job overall. I am not great at fingerstyle so can’t offer much in the way of technique bar the thumb finger position (guilty here as well!). As others have said you may have been a little too hard on yourself. But we are all our own worst critics but I think that only serves to push our development further. Well done sir !

:sunglasses:

I certainly enjoyed this. Such a beautiful song. Yeah, I agree you were too hard on yourself. You seemed to do very well as far as I could tell. You will be playing it smoothly sooner than you think!

Glad you enjoyed it @pkboo3.

Thanks for the listen and feedback Toby. If you’re guilty of the thumb thing as well, then I’ll not stress too hard about it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

Sold yourself a bit short there mate!!

Loved it! And it sounded good! Easy to hear what song your playing and what a great somg it is.

As mentioned above, i think you are progressing and developing super quick, easy to see that you are putting down a lot of hour. I am really impressed about the range and variaty of songs you have done and working on.

(I have been messing around with AIC as we talked about, and i struggle to play sliding/bending part )

Keep it up JK, looking forward to this one down the road with vocal added, youre killing it :grin:

1 Like

Nicely done, the only thing I could pick-up on is already mentioned, thumb placement. It feels odd at first to get it out front, I did a lot of youtube videoing, now feels pretty natural (although still reckon I will get adi’s picture next time I post :wink: ). I tend to find the further towards the neck I play the more natural the thumb being out front becomes.

1 Like

I’ve been working on this same song on and off for probably a year. It is definitely much tougher than one would think. I think part of it is due to some of the unusual fretting hand positions that aren’t used in any other songs I know, so the only time I practice them is while trying to play this song. Keep it up. You’re doing well. Just think, you’ll only have to play it 3 times faster! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sounding great man. What a lovely song.

Travis picking is no joke. I know it’s probably painful practicing it at this point, but I would try slowing it down even further and use a metronome.

1 Like

@tRONd @EndlessRepetition @GDPiper169 @ohmygato Thanks for checking it out guys!

It’s an awesome song :smiley:. That sliding bending part then back into the Am of AIC is the part I found the hardest, kept muting the strings or missing the timing back to Am fingerpicking, play along with the unplugged version, I did that a LOT and it helped, you will get it. For me it was tricky into one day it just worked.

tbh I haven’t even properly tried to fix thumb placement yet, but I will! :smiley: (try, that is)

Tell me about it Greg, you know the struggles then! I particularly find the Am7 to F transition hard, to get all the notes to ring out clearly on Am/Am7 I have just the tip of my thumb on the back of the neck, and for F I need to grip the neck more closely. I lose whatever reference point I’ve already built in my brain for regular Am to F. And the speed, oh the speed. That’s one of the reasons it’s a progress video :rofl:

Yes the travis picking is tricky. Yep, there are many parts in this one where my changes are not on time :smiley:. The song does have one bit where it intentionally slows down - end of the first verse ending before transition back to the verse sequence. I practice this one both slow and fast. Slow to try to get clean changes. Fast because I think that if you want to learn to play fast, you also have to practice fast. But it’s messy!

Hi JK, good progress. Have you tried just working in the chord changes only? I mean like playing a bar, then doing the chord change, playing a bar and going back to original chord? That is, practicing a small section at the time and after that playing longer sections. It is sounding good, once you can keep the pattern running while doing the chord changes will sound pretty good.

1 Like

Thanks Andres! Yes, I do that every day :grinning:

I thought that was pretty darned good. The chord changes looked challenging but smooth. That pinky finger was getting a pretty good and stretchy workout.

1 Like

Hi JK,
I thought that was great, you are clearly progressing. I have just done a module on fingerstyle so recognizing the ability to change chords and keep picking, you are doing great. As we all know it comes with practice keep it up, and keep posting.

1 Like

The original song is very beautiful, and the instrumental cover is quite well played.
You’re on the right track, friend!
And I also liked the beautiful deep tone of the guitar.
Thanks for sharing,
Leo

1 Like