Just Breathe - progress video (instrumental)

Nicely done, the only thing I could pick-up on is already mentioned, thumb placement. It feels odd at first to get it out front, I did a lot of youtube videoing, now feels pretty natural (although still reckon I will get adi’s picture next time I post :wink: ). I tend to find the further towards the neck I play the more natural the thumb being out front becomes.

1 Like

I’ve been working on this same song on and off for probably a year. It is definitely much tougher than one would think. I think part of it is due to some of the unusual fretting hand positions that aren’t used in any other songs I know, so the only time I practice them is while trying to play this song. Keep it up. You’re doing well. Just think, you’ll only have to play it 3 times faster! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sounding great man. What a lovely song.

Travis picking is no joke. I know it’s probably painful practicing it at this point, but I would try slowing it down even further and use a metronome.

1 Like

@tRONd @EndlessRepetition @GDPiper169 @ohmygato Thanks for checking it out guys!

It’s an awesome song :smiley:. That sliding bending part then back into the Am of AIC is the part I found the hardest, kept muting the strings or missing the timing back to Am fingerpicking, play along with the unplugged version, I did that a LOT and it helped, you will get it. For me it was tricky into one day it just worked.

tbh I haven’t even properly tried to fix thumb placement yet, but I will! :smiley: (try, that is)

Tell me about it Greg, you know the struggles then! I particularly find the Am7 to F transition hard, to get all the notes to ring out clearly on Am/Am7 I have just the tip of my thumb on the back of the neck, and for F I need to grip the neck more closely. I lose whatever reference point I’ve already built in my brain for regular Am to F. And the speed, oh the speed. That’s one of the reasons it’s a progress video :rofl:

Yes the travis picking is tricky. Yep, there are many parts in this one where my changes are not on time :smiley:. The song does have one bit where it intentionally slows down - end of the first verse ending before transition back to the verse sequence. I practice this one both slow and fast. Slow to try to get clean changes. Fast because I think that if you want to learn to play fast, you also have to practice fast. But it’s messy!

Hi JK, good progress. Have you tried just working in the chord changes only? I mean like playing a bar, then doing the chord change, playing a bar and going back to original chord? That is, practicing a small section at the time and after that playing longer sections. It is sounding good, once you can keep the pattern running while doing the chord changes will sound pretty good.

1 Like

Thanks Andres! Yes, I do that every day :grinning:

I thought that was pretty darned good. The chord changes looked challenging but smooth. That pinky finger was getting a pretty good and stretchy workout.

1 Like

Hi JK,
I thought that was great, you are clearly progressing. I have just done a module on fingerstyle so recognizing the ability to change chords and keep picking, you are doing great. As we all know it comes with practice keep it up, and keep posting.

1 Like

The original song is very beautiful, and the instrumental cover is quite well played.
You’re on the right track, friend!
And I also liked the beautiful deep tone of the guitar.
Thanks for sharing,
Leo

1 Like