Socio - October 2022 - JustinGuitar Blues Lead plus 1st Blues Improv

@NicoleKKB
Hi Nicole, thanks for the listen and taking the time to comment, it’s very much appreciated. I’m sure you’re going to enjoy the first blues lesson, it’s a lot of fun.

1 Like

So good, James, you got the bluesy vibe in your notes, feel, and tone. Loved it. Just keep doing what you are doing!

1 Like

@DavidP
Thanks for the listen and feedback, David, I’m really happy that you enjoyed it. I’ve been inspired by all the bluesy posts. I’ve got the next backing track in the key of A ready to start taking a look at the guitar challenge I said a while ago I would give a go (but without the bends). Once I’ve done that I’ll have a go at the 3-2-1 guitar challenge to see what I can come up with from a beginners angle.

2 Likes

@Notter

This lesson from the classic course is a good one too and worth checking out Minor Pentatonic Pattern | JustinGuitar.com I don’t recall seeing the equivalent on the new course so far

1 Like

Hi James well done on your blues study, it really sounded as it should and I could tap my foot easily and with pleasure to your play. Before getting to bends and vibratos I would try to incorporate a blues note in your play which in pattern 1 in A minor would be 6th fret A string and 8th fret G string. You can nicely slide from and to it or hammer on all three notes on A string, give it a go :wink: hopefully this have been covered already at the stage where you are, the blues note I mean. If not - spoiler alert! :grinning: all the best

2 Likes

Sweet stuff there James. Very bluesy and I was digging your groove.

1 Like

@adi_mrok
Thanks for the listen, feedback and suggestion, Adrian. That ties in quite nicely with progressing onto applying hammer ons, pull offs and slides before attempting to learn string bending and vibratos. The blues scale is not covered yet in the beginners course but not a spoiler as its one that I’ve read about and one that I’ll be covering shortly in the blues section of the beginners fingerstyle course that I’m doing as a supplementary course. So I’ll definitely be taking that tip into consideration as I start working on some improvisation over the key of A for the guitar challenge.

@SgtColon
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Stefan. I’m glad that you were digging the groove. If I recall its not long until you hit the blues module?

I’m on with it now James. I need to get my backside into gear and do some recording to make sure I’m doing it right and get some constructive feedback.

1 Like

Brilliant stuff James! I’m working on the beginner blues module at the moment so definitely taking lots of inspiration from that! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

@nzmetal
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Jeff. Glad it’s given you some inspiration for the beginner blues module. It’s such a fun module especially the improvising with the Am pentatonic scale.

1 Like

@Richard_close2u @DavidP
It’s a good job I went back and checked out the guitar challenge page. I never realised that it was a set backing track and it sounds like the exact same one I was playing Justin’s piece with some improv at the end over that came with the beginner course book. I’d been practicing this week improv over a slow blues in the key of A. I should have read the small print. I’ll just have to work on two improv pieces now.

In the groove, with the track, and so cool!!! :+1:

1 Like

@oldhead49
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Dave. I’ve really enjoyed the introduction to playing the blues.

Hey all,

Well after that little unplanned improvisation at the end of the Justin Guitar Blues Lead set piece that I posted a week ago I decided to close out the Grade 2 Blues Consolidation with some improv over a backing track. So far in the course I’ve not covered bends, vibratos, hammer on, flick offs etc, so it’s not quite as bluesy as it could be but hey its a starting point and something to build on. https://youtu.be/BGesRtB4zYk

17 Likes

:+1: :+1: That was great James had a good theme throughout kept in time with the backing track. all around good improve. :sunglasses:

Where improve goes wrong is when you start using things you don’t know well enough to put into you playing. The biggest misunderstanding about improvising is it isn’t made up on the spot, it isn’t. Improvising is doing things you know very well and using them in a new way. You did that very well. Congrats on you first solo :beers:

2 Likes

A great way to close it out and open the next door. Sounding good, and I like how you didn’t gum it up by trying to play too much. What you have sounds confident and a good start for moving forward with all the embellishments.

1 Like

That was excellent James. Really great vibe you had going there and definitely sounded bluesy to my ears. Very enjoyable listen and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

The was an impressive start James. Good solid theme throughout and well timed.
Well done.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Very well done James. A really great start to your blues improv. Right in the groove, solid, and hitting the sweet tones on the chord changes.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

James you are clearly ready to enter another level, sounded really bluesy and you managed to play in time and well, so kudos and I am keen to see how are you getting on in a while :wink: all the best!

1 Like