Keeping your spouse sane

She just got used to itā€¦ over a long time. :joy: I should have added that the whole family play an instrument (and did way before I picked up the guitar) so we have regular practice of keyboards, cornet, clarinet and drumsā€¦just perhaps not as much as I practice.

1 Like

Mine can be a nuisance when Iā€™m playing, but when she plays or we play together itā€™s fineā€¦ā€¦. Go figure :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Maybe do some simple experiments with creating a sound proofed practice space?

Some towels or blankets shoved against the bottom of a closed door, stick-on weather stripping applied around the door frame, heavy quilts hung over doors and windows, carpeting, drapes, acoustic ceiling tiles?

Lots of people have home studiosā€¦a quick Google search might come up with some good tips.

Of course the resulting room might not be beautiful, and your partner would have to be OK with that. But successful relationships usually involve some compromise, IME.

Disclaimers: I am not an audio engineer, a marriage councillor, or a divorce attorneyā€¦and I currently live aloneā€¦so YMMV :wink:

2 Likes

I donā€™t really have a separate space so I play in the open kitchen/living room area. Iā€™m typically the first one up so I do grade practice when thereā€™s no around yet. The rest of the day the rest of the family doesnā€™t really mind. It probably helps that my wife is now learning her third instrument (piano, percussion, voice), my daughter is learning classical guitar and my oldest son is jamming away on his (my other) electric guitar in his room. It sometimes gets pretty lively around here. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like you have the makings of a band!

2 Likes

My wife is very supportive of my guitar and she even joins in with the singing, which is very nice. She even asked the other day if I would be taking my guitar on holiday with us and I said, yeah Iā€™ll probably put it in the car. She said, good.

I finish work at 3pm and my wife finishes at 6pm so I get plenty of practice time. If she is around though and I want more practice time, Iā€™ll just put a sports channel on for her and then Iā€™m good to go. :smiley:

3 Likes

Is this for real!! You lucky bstrd :wink::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Was thinking about this one today and how I solved it. Basically moved all my guitar and computer stuff to a room with a door. Had to shuffle a bunch of things around the house but no complaints for a while now! Seems obvious.

And Iā€™ve been more considerate, playing quiet fingerstyle more.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update!

Itā€™s always nice to learn the solution that actually worked.

1 Like

I donā€™t think there is a solution other than try and play in a different room, play when they are out , or practice acoustic songs on an electric and the technique should more or less than transfer to the acoustic.

1 Like

For me the solution is headphones+electric and play in a separate room w/ a closed door. Seems to work well enough.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I do. I got the Waza Air headphones for quiet playing and I do it in a separate room with a closed door because the electric is still quite loud even when played acoustically.