LamphunLamyai's Learning Log

Seventh Interval Ear Training

Take On Me by A-ba.

I’m sure the red notes are accurate for the first three lines of the chorus after listening to the song on YouTube. But I don’t understand why the intervals are what they are? I guess I’ll figure that out in a year or so. Right now I can play that entire scale from Fret 1 to Fret 14 hitting all the notes in the chorus as I go by them. That last 3 - 7 - 1 is relatively (if referencing the “3” as a root relative to the 7 and 1) then that a 1 - 5 - b6.

Anyway. Posting this here for future reference. I’m confused but that’s good. Being confused drives me to think. Anyway the first three notes are Root - Seventh - Octave.

If nothing else this has been great “Play What You Hear” practice and then map it.

I’m working on Grade 2 Mod 8. What a neat selection of chords.

And, I’m actually accomplishing a number of things.

1. Learning some new chords
  2. Learning new fingerings
  3. Reinforcing my knowledge of triad construction, intervals, and scales PMT 1- 4.
  4. Working out the notes in these new chords, e.g.:
    Gmaj
    Cadd9
    Dsus4
    A7sus4
    Emin7
  5. Finding the notes on the fretboard by memory and checking out my guess at chord construction.
  6. Using this site to verify that my chord construction is correct which is more efficient than bombarding the forum with question (and less bothersome as well).
    Example chord check for A7sus4:
    A7sus4 Guitar Chord | A dominant seventh suspended fourth

Slow progress is slow as molasses - but? I AM really learning, being challenged, and enjoying the ride. Yeah, Module 8 is fun. As far as playing goes (I guess that is the actual objective to this module), yeah, no problems. I’m hitting the chords cleanly and having fun playing around with the chord combination with in the key. And experimenting. Getting some really nice sounds! :guitar: :100:

3 Likes

Productive day today. Almost 4 hours. Spent an hour on ear training. Fun.
I start with Maj 2nd, Maj 3th, P4, P5, Maj 6th, and Maj 7th. If you progress and get things correct the programs begins adding other intervals. In this case Min 2nd, Min 3th, and Tritones. Good stuff. Now I’m going to give my cat some attention before he dances on my keyboard. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey Daniel

Enjoying reading your journey into music theory as it relates to guitar. Making discoveries, getting confused, making more discoveries - its a fascinating, and highly beneficial path to travel. The ‘elegance’ of it all hooked me from the very beginning, about 3 years ago.

You will continually reap the rewards down the track as your knowledge and guitar competency progressively move closer together. In many ways, you start to become your own teacher, which can be a powerful thing I reckon.

All the best.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Ear Training exercise for the day. Not bad. Think I’ll shoot for the Ear Training Grade 3 Quiz today. Here goes.

100% Yea!

1 Like

The 5th and octave “gets me” on occasion. Practice makes permanent. On the the Quick Fire Test.

Ear Training Grade 3 Quick-Fire Test.
Ace Ace Baby!

1 Like

I’ve got a new game for tomorrow’s Ear Training (finished the entire course today so now I’m winging it).

Call it Hear It - Say It - Play it. My first stab at it will be like this.

Using this app as my tool (linked above somewhere too)
The app options are set initially to “Fixed Key” and all the Major intervals.

Then:
Hear the Root note and interval.
Say the Root note and play the correct interval.
Name the Interval (later - name the interval and the note, but I ain’t there yet)

After a few minutes of that, turn off “Fixed Key” and go with random keys.

I’ll video the fun tomorrow.

Four days late
Oct 29 - Video may be coming tomorrow.

I’ve had a minor handicap to my playing and homework. The little dude (Gwaat) has both feline AIDS and feline leukemia. I feed him well, give him supplements, and provide all the love he wants. If it impinges on my guitar training? So be it. He’ll be lucky if he’s around this time next year. Hell, I might be lucky to around this time next year (laughs).
He’s a needy little fellow and I indulge him. With that - so much for practice tonight. Movie (or book) time.

Tonight

Saturday

Last week

4 Likes

Hi Daniel, I’m sorry to hear about Gwaat. He’s very cute! One of our cats is an orange tabby like Gwaat. I understand the priority that cats deserve :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Such a cute little furry fellow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

He looks so relaxed and comfortable. Surely he likes his home and feels that somebody cares and looks after him well :grinning:

Maybe he’ll even enjoy some guitar playing. :guitar: :smiley_cat:

Take very good care of him.
Oh, I’m sure you will :hugs:

1 Like

Busy afternoon. Been at it for 4 hours. May spend another 4 hours at it.
I’ve got a choice: Tune into internet and watch the horrors of man’s inhumanity toward man - or - practice guitar.

Yeah. Exactly. Guitar it is. :guitar:

In Grade 2 Mod 8 we were introduced to new chords and new songs.
When I began the Module and started playing the chords, I immediately came up with a tune. “Snappy tune,” I think to myself. I should make it into a song.

Today I found the song was already made. Wonderwall. So it’s been a Wonderwall afternoon. Pleasant.

These are notes for myself as I learn the song and baseline what I learn. i really like this song. :brick:

Strumming Pattern Part 1

Chord Progression Part 1

2 Likes

Practice is sounding good, Daniel.

1 Like

PMT 4.1 - Making Major Chord Grips Into Minors

Chord Manipulation

A Chord Pattern Recognition Exercise - If you can find patterns then you can create chords all over the fretboard!

Well this is really useful. I usually use Guitar Scientist for creating my fretboard diagrams, but just ran across ChordPic free version. Guitar Scientist is a little limited as you can’t flip the diagrams vertically and label the string names and/or intervals.

I like this. I’m probably going to pop for the $30/year paid version. Nice.

Oasis = Everywhere :wink:

Terrific ongoing work Daniel, you’re coming along really well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you checked out Neck Diagrams 2? Justin uses and recommends this software. https://www.neckdiagrams.com/

1 Like

Yep. Thanks! :+1: