Learning, growing because of Justin

Been a while since I posted. Retirement, grandchildren and life in general. But that hasn’t stopped me from playing guitar daily.

I came to this community after buying Justin’s SOS rhythm course and posted questions about timing, etc, and feeling somewhat lost.

I realized I had to go back to the basics. Bought the Justin timer app – fantastic – and literally went all the way back to beginner. That meant tapping with my left foot heel. Made me realize I had been playing out of time for quite some time – yes intentional joke.

I have several electric guitars and in the past I would put on some jam track on G for example, and then use the scale patterns I learned from Justin’s intermediate course. I “fooled” myself. I sounded OK because I had a band behind me.

I decided that my true passion was acoustic guitar. I wanted to play and sing – if you can call it that – cover songs. I sold a very nice Fender Strat, saved up and used the money to buy a very nice Gibson acoustic .

A lesson here from Justin’s courses – learn what you need to learn for you. I don’t need to learn every esoteric scale pattern out there. For what I play, and want to play, the major scale – and really understanding – it is perfect.

There is no hiding with an acoustic. I struggled. I had to be the “band”

The most glaring weakness was my absolute lack of sense about timing.

Out comes the Justin timing app. I had to set it at 50 BPM and that was difficult. Working on the different patterns, realizing what bar I was on.

I posted on here months ago when I had trouble playing a cover song in time. Just was not happening. I was lost.

I stuck with it.

Now, the update:

On the songs I know by memory – up to 15 now – I know longer “think” about the timing or even the pattern. It is in time, and I may vary what I play from day to day depending on what I feel when I play. I can even improvise, in a sense, not playing the same pattern in the song. Using those ghost strums Justin talked about. Or adding a note here and there from the scale I know.

I still go back to timer app, using the function where I set for a random beat to drop out. I sometimes mess up, but keep going and I see the improvement.

Progress comes by doing the work.

It is important that we – in this community – acknowledge Justin – and each other.

I received so much encouragement from all of you.

Sorry for the long post

21 Likes

Tom, what a lovely update! Congratulations on your great improvement. Thanks for sharing your progress, and your humility. I know I often need a dose of that last bit. What is it that makes me - with no innate musical talent or background - think I can just pick these things up and run with them??? :rofl: The other wonderful thing you shared is that progress does come. It seems slow to us, the players. But when you describe the progress you’ve made over just a few months, I think - wow, that’s fast!

Thanks again. Your update is just the encouragement I needed today. :smiling_face:

Oh - and, to my mind, better you spend limited time playing guitar than posting! Hmm. Another thing I can take to heart…

3 Likes

Posting good, too!

Your words were great, Judi

2 Likes

Hey Tom, that “long” post was great stuff. And such great progress you’ve made. I liked the no hiding comment and relate to that ever so much. Once I got the confidence to perform with others on stage, it reinforced how much pressure you have playing solo.

Look forward to hearing more of your progress. Exciting!

1 Like

Hey Tom,

These are the type of posts I enjoy reading the most. Congratulations on your progress in this area. I can certainly relate to your journey here, as I imagine many others can as well.

Honest self-assessment to identify weaknesses; then putting in the hard yards to overcome them is such a satisfying feeling.
And as you noted, support and encouragement by the many great folk in this community plays an important part.
Onward and upward :+1:.

Cheers, Shane

4 Likes

Delighted to read of your progress, Tom. Now would love to have some video of your performing some of those songs.

If I may, can I move this post into Learning Logs and then you can come back and provide further updates as you progress and when the urge takes you?

2 Likes

Your update is heartwarming to read Tom, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Mine too! But with the App and the JG Time trainer I improved so much!

I suggest you follow David’s advice and start a Learning Log as it can be a very powerful tool for learning.

3 Likes

I think I remember your other post from back then :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you so much for the update, it sounds as if you managed to make good progress.

Just like @DavidP and @SILVIA I can’t emphasize the value of Learning Logs enough. Would be great to see you start one (especially given that you are a writer, or do I remember that incorrectly from your other post? :nerd_face:)

3 Likes

Fantastic post. Way to push through it and grow from the experience. I am with you on the Acoustic, I came in ready to do punk and rockabilly. Suddenly im playing Acoustic hippy Folk music and loving it.

Thank you

Finding our own musical path half the battle