Legato Pentatonics short video for feedback

Hi Jk,

Bird of paradise

This is what I have to think about now, and I’m “disappointed” that Justin doesn’t have a lesson from this, :blush:… I just had a quick look on you-tube :grimacing:,…I’ll be busy next week,…

Thanks for the idee,…greetings

1 Like

Hi Jk ,
You’ll never guess,… I already started this afternoon with the intro of that song … Bird of paradise… you not only learn flickoff and hammers, … but you also need what you have learned from the mini baree. …(really :sweat_smile:),

coincidence does not exist :wink:

I don’t know if you’re even want it, but be careful looking for a tutorial, the first one I found already made a mistake in the first 2 notes, … but after that it’s okay, … .the 2nd one I found is sweet but better not because it goes verry “apart”,…it’s sparse,…call if you want it.
Greetings,

Greetings,…

1 Like

You set that one up, right? :rofl: How good you put in the time to learn the mini barre :smiley:

I hadn’t heard the song before you posted it, so seeing as it’s not one I know I don’t think I’ll be learning it. But keen to hear your version of it when you’re done!

1 Like

:rofl:

Never heard of that song. :speak_no_evil:…I really thought it was as well known as Stairway to Heaven… etc…
And I can’t imagine that I’m going to play the whole song within a year ,…I will play the short intro if it doesn’t “irritate” me too quickly within a month (or two),… … if all goes well I thrive under this self-imposed pressure,…supplied by you now :smile:,…
Good evening/night ( here) , and have a nice day man :sunglasses:
Greetings,…

Are we talking about the Snowy White version Rogier?

Yes for sure Gordon :sunglasses:

Perhaps I missed it but didn’t see any hammer-ons and flick-offs in the video. The associated lessons for this talks about hammering down the fingers.

In my vid? The hammer-ons are on the way down, flick offs on the way up. Just hitting each string once with the pick. You can hear it but I didn’t video my picking hand.

The whole series of notes were played as:

picked then hammer-on for ascending the scale pattern …
picked then flick-off for descending the scale pattern.

Warning: topic hijack/digression ahead

@roger_holland As well know as Stairway to Heaven … surely not, Roger, you said that somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Given when JK was a youth listening to music and into the grunge, alternative rock (what does ‘alternative’ really mean … maybe a ‘Just Chatting’ topic one day), bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam, which you should know are prominent in his musical taste development, and this song being a hit in the early 80s, I’d have been surprised if he did know it. In fact could this song be cause to consider Snowy White and his solo band to be a One Hit Wonder?

I don’t know much about him, other than that he was one of the guitar players in Thin Lizzy (JK may well know a few of their songs, like Chinatown or Killer on the Loose from one of the albums he played on … Google is my friend).

I did not know that he contributed a solo on Pink Floyd’s Animals, later played live with Roger Waters and also was in the band with Peter Green on his In The Skies album.

All that musicology aside, a lovely song, a song from the 80s that appeals to me, probably because it is not what one would consider to be 80s music I suspect :joy:

Here’s a live recording made more recently. Even if you don’t watch the entire performance, us learning guitar with an interest in lead technique may find the solos good to watch. The camera ought to have just focused (for us) close up on his guitar, they didn’t, but did for the solos. You can skip to around 2’00 and again to 3’30"

End of digression

Thanks for indulgence, JK

2 Likes

Hi David,
Okay okay , … I exaggerated a little bit :roll_eyes: :blush:… , but in my youth this was really big here, and heard a lot and of course more often than Stairway because that song is much too long for an average radio station , … and sometimes a bit too wild, … but I was genuinely surprised because it is always in the middle of the annual top 2000 here, and a lot in the resent past on music radio`s (till a least 4years back… don’t listen to it anymore)…

But nice all that information you looked up :sunglasses:, I knew most of it not,…beautiful version of the song…

Below another super hit from them,… :lying_face:,…but i think you like it too,…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSnLjVd0KdY
Learn JK Learn JK learn JK Learn JK :man_mage:
Greetings,

1 Like

Given perhaps some greater relevance to JKs question about focus of learning and practice, there may be more value to be milked from this song.

@roger_holland of course I like it. Slow blues is pretty a sure winner for me. I’d never heard this track before. My only gripe in your reply is that you never linked to this video: Snowy White - Midnight Blues (High-Quality Sound) - YouTube which I believe is from the same more recent concert rather than the one you did with just a still image.

For those of us interested in improv, blues, licks etc then this song is worth a watch and listen. And I think it is a good choice for those wanting to do some solo transcription work. Lots of sweet licks, and perhaps at a reasonable tempo without many phrases with lots of short note, fast playing.

I need to listen to more of his albums. His play, tone, feel is right up my street. I’m hearing a little bit of a Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler vibe at times, which is also no bad thing.

3 Likes

Stupid me…I actually wanted to do that :man_facepalming: :smile:

Learn this JKLearn this JKLearn this JKLearn this JKLearn this JKLearn this JK :hole: :hole:

:laughing:

lol, nice try… I guess one benefit of learning obscure songs might be that I could pass them off as originals if I play them locally :rofl:

1 Like

:see_no_evil::joy: :rofl: :joy:

To bring this post back ‘on track’ JK. I’ve been revisiting this lesson. I find the hammer ons are relatively easy. The flick offs are a different matter as you have to move two fingers at once when playing a scale using this method. It’s easier if you’re only playing one flick off note in a riff.

I had to slow the video down to 0.25 speed to see what you were doing with this. In JG’s hammer-ons lesson he says that they should really be hammered down to get the sound which I don’t see in your video. If I do it like you show I just get a thud!

I get the hammer-ons but can’t work out the sequence of pick/lift off for the flick-offs, even at 0.25 speed.

He also played on all of Floyds '77 Animals and '80 Wall shows, the '90 Berlin Wall show and others. His bridge solo for Pigs on the Wing appeared on 8-track.

1 Like

The value here may not necessarily in learning a song, but in learning some licks and portions of a solo. And if you enjoy the player, then enhancing your own play by learning, adopting and adapting from his play.

For example, I found value in learning the intro solo from Layla Unplugged from a Justin lesson. I would have learned more trying to transcribe it, but just the learning was valuable to develop feel and a sense of how these pros go about soloing rather than my just noodling around over a BT.''Another good one to do this is Peter Green’s Need Your Love So Bad intro solo, practicing technique and absorbing some of his phrasing. Hmm, maybe you did that already in the Guitar Challenge created for that?

2 Likes