Legato Pentatonics

Never expected to turn a scale into fun but this did. It is a lot easier to sustain hammers and flicks on an electric.

A problem I have with the flick offs is keeping my finger on the lower note from moving when flicking off the higher note. For example, if Iā€™m flicking off the 8th fret on the G string with my third finger down to the 5th fret held down with my first finger, my first finger wants to move, bending the note. The problem gets worse as I go from the lighter to the heavier strings. Any suggestions how to prevent this?

I assume you meant 7th to 5th on G?

Suggestions: slow it down, move your wrist and hand around the neck as you move up or down, and do hand stretching to build flexibility.

Hey Terry,

A suggestion. At the exact moment of the flickoff, put some slight upward pressure on the string that is held. So in your example, when flicking off with the third finger, push slightly upward with the index. I have found, over time, that this one, prevents sending that note out of tune, and two results in a ā€˜snappierā€™ , cleaner flickoff. It feels more fluid and balanced to me as well; moreso, if youā€™re doing multiple flickoffs. Like a counter- balance of the movement.

Cheers, Shane

One thing Iā€™ve never understood about flick-offs/pull-offs: is it enough to just raise the finger, or do I have to ā€œpluckā€ the string going downwards? I always just raised my finger.

Pull off in a downwards motion, as Justin covers in the lesson. :sunglasses:

1 Like