Lick-in' Riff

You have to keep the count in your head. As you’re playing the lead part, you should be thinking “two-and-three-and-four-and-one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and-ONE” and when you get to ONE, you better be back on that bass note for the rhythm part.

With experience you will be able to “feel” it and not have to count it. Though it takes time (weeks, months, years, depending on how much 12-bar blues you play).

1 Like

Yeah, this is a little cryptic. What Justin is trying to say here is the rhythm sections should start on beat 1 of a measure and should end on beat 1 of a(nother) measure, at which point you start the lead bit. Or, said the other way, the lead bits should start on beat 2 of a measure and when you go back to the rhythm, it should be on beat 1.

You can see this in the provided tab. In measure 5, the first rhythm section ends on beat 1 and the lead line starts on beat 2. The lead section extends through measure 6 and the rhythm starts again in measure 7 on beat 1.

2 Likes

It’s so hard to count whilst playing. As in extremely hard. Are there any tips on how to overcome this?

What would starting the rhythm on beat 2 look like? Does it mean to extend the lead to the next measure for 1 bar?

2 suggestions:

1. Start simple. See if you can manage to count while just playing the rhythm, for example.
  2. Slow it down, a lot, if necessary.

Are you talking about varying Justin’s idea of starting the rhythm on beat 1? If so, I would suggest not getting ahead of yourself. Learn to play the piece as written, while keeping the count in your head (!).

Or are you asking about something else?

im always counting skipping ‘and’ notes, count numbers 5 or 6, etc.

im referring to when justin said “I wouldn’t recommend starting the rhythm on beat two for some time.” - i know he isnt recommending it but when i get there what does that look like?

Actually, you should never count “5” or “6”. There are 4 beats to the measure and after counting 4, you should start over at 1. This is crucial point.

Also, I would suggest that since this piece is mostly eighth notes, you should be counting the “ands” along with the whole numbers. It may be helpful for the count to reflect the notes played. For example, in measure 5 of the tab, you could count “one-two-three-four-and”. By the way, not to make your life miserable ( :slight_smile: ), but you should also be tapping your foot on the beats (i.e. on the “one”, “two”, “three”, “four”).

I mean, if you’re not playing rhythm during beat 1, then you would be playing some lead note(s) on that beat. For example you could play 2 additional eighth notes while counting “one-and” and then start the rhythm on “two-and-…”

1 Like

i know we arent supposed to count 5,6, etc. but for some reason my brain will still count it.

Oh sorry for the fusion. when i said this i was talking about the struggles i was having. I am not doing these intentionally and i try my hardest to avoid doing this, but it still happens.

Ah, ok, sorry I misunderstood.

You may want to go all the way back to module 3 for some review of counting. The ideas are spread over 2 or 3 lessons:
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/counting-ands-b1-305
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/all-about-up-strums-b1-306
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/strumming-patterns-with-ups-b1-307

Thank you for the sources, but i already do these things/have mastered them. It is the playing and counting the beat at the same making it so difficult.

This is part of what is taught in those videos.

Good luck!

Another suggestion is to use a metronome that provides a different sound for beat #1 (DING - click - click - click). There are many available as phone apps. The one I use is built into my looper.

This may help you keep track of where beat #1 is. Other than that, start slow and practice this every day.

YMMV

1 Like

Alright will go through these again. Thanks!

So i went through all the videos again and the problem is, i already do these things. I am very hip with my strumming and everything justin has said in the videos. I dont know what it is but i am really having a hard time with playing and counting at the same time.

I heard repetition is the key. So i guess ill keep trying until i get it.