Ohmygato - June 2022 - Long Black Veil - Lefty Frizzell

It’s a beautiful gloomy Sunday here in Northern California, so I figured there’s no better time to record one of my favorite tales from beyond the grave. Lefty Frizzell is one of those classic singers whose songs have haunted my memories because they are so foundational to classic country. I love the vibe of this song written by Danny Dill and Marijohn Wilkin and originally performed by Lefty.

As always your comments and especially criticism are appreciated.

12 Likes

A great song and you did it justice. Well done!

I knew this song as a kid from the album “Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison”. When Cash sings the lyric “in the arms of my best friend’s wife”, the audience (prison inmates) give a big cheer, which at 11 years old I thought was pretty strange.

Anyway, a great song on an all time classic album.

1 Like

Cool performance, Dan :sunglasses:
Nice balance between guitar and vocals and I enjoyed the dynamics in the latter part.
Don’t know the song, but it reminded me of some of The Handsome Family stuff.
Bravo!

1 Like

I love your steady rhythm Dan, especially the balance between the hits and the spaces, it like a comfy hammock to swing in as I listen to you sing. Very nice work.

1 Like

Thank you! I love that analogy. Something to think about to get that swing going.

1 Like

Thanks Brian. I probably heard the song many times without ever knowing it, then it came up on one of my playlists and I decided I had to take a shot at it.

Hi Dan,
The first song of mine on this 2nd Pentecost morning…and really great to listen to…as mentioned above…nice variation in sound (dynamics :slight_smile: )… …and your voice also sounds like you’ve been a singer for years and performs outside the door… a loud applause is in place here… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thanks Roger! I’ve really enjoyed playing this song and I think the styling can contribute a lot to the story. I’m glad you can hear that.

Nicely played and sung. Some good dynamics as well.

1 Like

Great performance Dan. Really polished.

1 Like

Smooth and polished performance, Dan

1 Like

Well done Dan. You’ve really got country vibe going there. Great dynamics and a super vocal. I love a good ‘story’ song!

1 Like

I don’t know the song but that was really smooth stuff Dan.

I always enjoy your performances. :+1:

1 Like

Nicely played and sung, Dan.
For some reason, which is probably not logic, Willie Nelson’s Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain crept into my head while listening to your intro. That went way as soon as you got to it. I’ll stop rambling now!
Well done on a good performance.

1 Like

Thank you all for listening and for your comments! This is one of those songs that I found and quickly realized that I could play it after going through all the Grade 1 material. I added a B7 chord to my repertoire and it unlocked pretty much every classic country and blues song I could find. :slight_smile:

Great Job! Nice steady rhythm and good dynamics.

1 Like