Thejoechoi - January 2022 - Bluegrass Jam, Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová, The Beatles

This is from a bluegrass song book I’m working through.

I ordered a Blue Chip Pick and just got it. They’re $35 for a single pick! Justin actually uses the same brand and made a video about it. Wanted to give it a test drive with some picking.

Are they worth it? Not sure. They definitely don’t slip. It feels sturdier than other picks. Don’t notice too much of a difference sound wise though. I’ll keep playing with it and see how it goes.

Long Journey Home with a $35 pick!

Plus

Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová - Falling Slowly

Plus

The Beatles - You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Joe, enjoyed both listening and watching you play.

As for the pick, I see that is you can pay up to $75 for a Blue Chip pick. Seems astonishing to me, but I am not that experienced when it comes to picks.

Hi Joe,
That sounds cool ,I don’t hear (of course) that you play with gold between your fingers…but it does sound nice :grin:
Greetings Rogier

Joe, it sounds like you have the beginnings of a really cool piece to play. Let us know if you think the pic helps or if it might play easier fingerstyle.

Lot of bluegrass flatpickers use expensive picks. The Blue Chip ones always get lots of praise. I was debating if I should get it, but I’ve spent $35 on a lot of worse things in my life. That’s how I justified it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thank you! Not sure if it makes too much of a difference. Maybe my technique isn’t great though. Bluegrass guitarists have to play with fiddle and banjos so the notes have to come through.

Not sure I would play this one finger style. Any thicker pick would probably do okay though.

Nicely played, Joe.

While $35 is quite a chunk of change to lay out for a pick I can’t argue with your justification (i.e., I’ve spent $35 on less worthy things, too). For fast flatpicking lines I tend to use one of the red/orange Dunlop Jazz III picks, but maybe I’ll give one of these Blue Chips a shot.

I have the Dunlop Jazz III ones too. I used use them for electric, but don’t own one anymore. Check out the Dunlop 207 picks. Thicker and more rounder feel. I don’t know how to describe it?

Beautiful song. Pretty simple and a great one for finger picking. I strum the chorus with my finger nail. This is kind of a condensed version. In the recording they have an instrumental section and outro.

Really want to get the singing on the chorus better :grimacing:

If anyone has suggestions on improving this, let me know!

Falling Slowly - Once

9 Likes

I love this Joe and wouldn’t change a thing. I like the vulnerability of your vocal. The range of vocal and guitar tones builds the mood of this piece.

1 Like

That was wonderful, Joe, the playing, singing, and quality of the recording. Beyond my play-grade to be able to offer you any critique on how to improve that. I know just enough to appreciate your capabilities, both playing and singing.

Hi Joe nice meeting you! Great cover and beautiful sounding guitar. How did you record it? Sounds really good!

@DavidP it’s actually a lot easier than it looks David, great song to dip your feet into fingerpicking. I posted it to AVOYP a long time ago and @adi_mrok even played it live on one of the first OMs if I remember correctly. Here’s a lesson on how to play it: Falling Slowly - Acoustic Fingerstyle Guitar Lesson - Glen Hansard/ Once - YouTube

Sorry for the small hijack but it’s just such a great song everyone should learn it. @CYPGMB I’d love to hear you cover it, your voice would be perfect. :smile:

1 Like

This was really nice Joseph! Just keep it up, I think this song will grow together with you on your journey.

On the suggestion side, your mic recording was very quiet, if you can, increase mic gain or volume level in post production. When placing yourself in front of the camera, try to not sit in directly in the center but a bit to the left (camera wise) this way the head of the guitar will not be cropped. Details but they should help you so look and sound better. Lightning was spot on, I like the window reflecting on the guitar’s surface :slightly_smiling_face:. Overall quality of the picture is very good!

As for the reference, performance of the song by Ulli Boegershausen (one of my favourite fingerstyle guitarists) and Reini Adelbert - Falling Slowly with Ulli Boegershausen - YouTube.

Additionally, solo fingerstyle acoustic version - Falling Slowly - played on Lakewood C 32 Edition 2019 - Ulli Boegershausen - solo guitar - YouTube.

Hope you will find it useful :slight_smile:.

Hey Joe, where are you goin’ with that…
Arrgggh, I can’t believe I just pulled that corny one :roll_eyes:

Well, for starters you could sing it on Grafton Street with an Irish accent…
Arrgggh, I just did it again! :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Seriously, welcome aboard and thanks for sharing your backstory and music.
(Actually, you should probably be welcoming me)
We occasionally get accomplished musicians dropping in to share their warez, some genuinely interested in being part of this community- very few with such a long JG history/pedigree such as yours :smiley:
A number of us here have had the pleasure of online lessons with the guru, but you’re the first I’ve come across who’ve had in-person lessons. Also I see in another post that you are test-driving the expensive pick- so a true disciple indeed!)

That’s an impressive recording setup you have, looks very professional.
I like the song, the picking and strumming was on point. I always worry for the singer when I know a high note is approaching, but you handled them well.

My one tiny nit would be that if I’m watching someone perform, I feel much more engaged when they are looking at the camera (It’s all about me!). I presume you were playing from a prompt of some sort? Even if you were able to move the camera near that, it would increase the sense of communication. I’m the worst offender on this point.

Overall 9/10, just because it’s good for us to think we can improve.
Good to have you here and look forward to more contributions.
Cheers (from an ex-Dubliner) :smiley:

@Thejoechoi Hi Joe!
There’s not much I can say, is there? Your playing is faultless, seriously bordering on being envious :smiley:
What camera do you use for this recording? Everything looks and sounds awesome.

@SS7 thanks for the recommendation. I can begin to learn this one but I think it will take some time because it looks quite tricky for me. Good one for improving my fingerstyle though. I can assure you my recording will be nowhere near this one ^^^

Hi Joe this was really good, picture quality sharp as razor blade wow. Playing was spot on, interesting way of playing pre chorus I think I made it a bit more complicated to myself which doesn’t really matter in the end, it’s just different :grinning:

Falsetto part is a bit tricky, I would love to explain how I do it but I don’t know, it just works on itself haha. You need to push your voice sort of over to top of your head and very close to back of your nose (if that even makes any sense) and a bit of breath before you start to get yourself a momentum. Try just playing around for few mins a day in front of the mirror and after probably some days of practice it will click.

As far as playing goes all looked great man, fantastic first entry. If you want to see how I did it I also posted this cover on my youtube channel, I won’t post it here as I feel I would be hijacking your thread so you can go over to my Learning Log post and there is a link somewhere :slight_smile: all the best and thanks @SS7 for a shout out, it was you who actually inspired me to cover it :grinning:

Joe, that was great! I hope to be going seriously down the fingerstyle path in a month or so. Got a plan to really up my game in late July. Look forward to seeing more of you here. The inspiration is palpable. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you! Glad I can be an inspiration. I still get self conscious playing guitar in front of others.

Yeah, I’m back in voice lessons after a two year hiatus. Darn pandemic! Gonna work on singing in that higher range.

There’s a version out there of Glen Hansard with just his guitar. The video is old and quality isn’t that great. His playing and singing is very “loose” compared to the stage versions with an ensemble. It’s very raw. That’s the one that inspired me.

I definitely check out your take on the song! See if I can add anything to my playing arsenal.