Looking for blues licks to transcribe

one other comment on the blues standards - Because these have been covered many times, it is really interesting to listen to those covers and compare the differences. You may find the licks being changed a bit being part of your study. I was kind of expecting this sort of thing from Justin’s up-coming class. We’ll see.

Here’s some that come to mind that might not be the most famous:
John Lee Hooker (king of boogie), Ray Buchanan (chicken picking + pinch harmonics), Bonnie Raitt (not necessarily traditional blues, but some great slide playing), Albert Collins (bizarre tunings + capo - makes him a very unique player) and Joe Pass (no comment needed).

Also, to add on Michael’s comment about covers. Slash is (finally) releasing an album of blues covers and from the first single Killing Floor, I am excited to finally get some Slash “pure blues licks” in the bank!

If you want to try something completely different, find a non-guitar blues solo that you really like (saxophone, keys, hammond organs, etc.) and transcribe it on guitar. You might find some completely new licks because different instruments approach solos differently.

So, after giving a fresh listen myself, maybe Bacon Fat might be relevant to what you’re looking for. The others, more of how to play a cool rhythm part with embellishments.

1 Like

You might find these interesting:

1 Like

I have that East-West Butterfield original vinyl album. Old school blues.

2 Likes

Thanks Michael, yes that’s a really interesting idea.

Thanks - I’ll certainly look at those … bizarre tunings and capo will make for some challenging transcribing! Delta blues can be hard enough because the tuning is rarely 440hz.

I’ll certainly give it a go Stan!

Cheers Jozef - appreciate the recommendations. Couple there I’ve not heard of.

Go take a look at Daddy Stovepipe on YouTube, there’s a shedload of interesting stuff on his channel!

1 Like

Paul bit late to the party and its not clear if you after “traditional” slow 60s Blues ala Kings and Clapton or Blues rock ala Gallagher et al ! But the good thing is there are plenty of “new” talent keeping the Blues alive.

Just whizzed through the post and can’t believe no one has tagged Robert Jon and the Wreck. Just about every track has a stunning solo, short long dropping in and out, you can’t go wrong. If I started listing go to tracks I’d be typing for hours, so just go check them out you wont be disappointed.

Enjoy.

:sunglasses:

Cheers Toby - I’m not too fussy … 60s / blues rock, anything with things I can steal! Delta blues can be a challenge to transcribe as the digital headstock tuners weren’t as good in the 20s and 30s.

I’ll give Robert Jon and the Wreck a spin today, new name to me.

1 Like

You might have come across it when you were looking at EC, but JJ Cale is always worth a look. Some different notes in there that give it a slight country flavour. And taught me the difference between laid back and slow.

Thanks Matt - yes, JJ is great I spent a little time on After Midnight, but I should spend more time on his work - good shout.

1 Like