LunaRocket's Learning Log

I’m not, yet, but you just reminded me to add Wonderwall to my playlist on the App and in my practice routine. I figure if Justin recommends it, it’s probably a good idea. I think I’d only heard it once in my life before so, at least for me, it’s not been overplayed. I do seem to find a lot of joking about it, I guess it’s some sort of white elephant?

1 Like

Yes it’s definitely become an internet meme as it’s supposedly so common / popular that even non-guitarists know how to play it!!

It’s a good 3&4 workout for sure, and regardless of the above (and as Justin and others say) it’s a popular song for a reason, it’s good!

1 Like

Grade 1 songs. aka Repertoire Revision

Haven’t had a lot of time to practice so the songs sort of fell by the wayside, maybe tomorrow.

Stuck 3&4 Chords

Still having a lot of stretching trouble with A7sus4 and Em7 and I’ve thrown in extra practice for those as well as the other 2 uncommon chords, my 3rd and 4th fingers just keep sliding back toward the nut! But at least my pinkie finger doesn’t hurt anymore. YAY!

My OMC for Big G to regular D is up to 55-57.

The E minor pentatonic scale I’m playing it front and backwards at 80 bpm, just really came together today, not even accidentally picking the wrong strings without looking.

open note study I can do it front and backwards, and even randomly choosing a string and picking out the notes though I sometimes have to really think about it. Coming along though.

Strumming Accent on 2 and 4. This is coming along very well, I’m at 80 bpm with the metronome and getting my foot to tap out just the regular 4 down strums. I sometimes mess up when changing chords but I’ll keep practicing.

Wish you Were Here Riff. I’m really pleased with this. I never really got into the other riffs in the other lessons, but I’ve always loved this song, and I’ve mainly been learning it by reading the provided TAB which is good because until this I had a really hard time understand how TAB worked, so it’s a 2 for 1 learning experience here! Rhythm is still off when I get to the chord sections, have a hard time remembering is it an up or down strum first, getting there, though.

Module Songs I’m practicing Good Riddance at 70% speed with lots of finger fumbling still, but not as bad as last week.

Wonderwall is still down at 50%, and I’m confused about Justin’s lesson vs the song APP. Justin has a CAPO on Fret 2, the app never mentions a capo, and uses the same chords Justin does, but it doesn’t sound the same with a capo. so I don’t think the App is using it. So far now I’m not using a capo. I figure learn the song, then figure out what’s going on…

1 Like

Reads like terrific progress Rebecca and it’s really good to hear the gains you’re noticing. The stage you’re in, for me, was one of the most inspiring times of the first couple of grades with the WYWH riff, the dynamics in strumming and a great variety of songs to learn, awesome stuff!!

Re. wonderwall, the original uses capo at fret 2 and I’m presuming that’s what Justin is teaching in the video with the same chord shapes, it’s just moving the key up a full tone. So the need for capo is only if you want to play to the app or the original recording.

Have a load of fun and look forward to hearing your next steps!

1 Like

Thanks @Notter, I’m still not that clear on using capos, the other problem being my fingers get so cramped in the smaller frets, probably I’m just not use to it and it’s just a matter of more and more practice! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Maybe worth checking out this thread Rebecca

3 Likes

For the heck of it yesterday I watched the first lesson in Module 9, picked up my guitar and tried the F chord for the very first time. heh, heh, heh, heh. Well, that went about as I expected from reading others’ attempts. I managed to get the middle strings to ring out just fine, but the barred part? uh, uh, nope, nope, nope. There was a split second I thought I heard the 2nd string make a noise other than a thud but, I never did repeat it. But I only spent a couple minutes messing with it, next week I should be able to make it an official bad attempt. :grin:

Till then, I’ll keep practicing Module 8 chords and the 2 new songs and my old songs.

3 Likes

MODULE 9

Okay, so I started Module 9 a week ago.

Repertoire revision, 12 minutes, mainly concentrating on 2 songs from grade 1, CCR’s Bad Moon Rising and UP Around the Bend. Both are on the App so I slowed both down to 90% and keeping it there till it doesn’t sound like I’m rushing through it, doesn’t sound or feel relaxed, yet.

F Chord, at first, I was having major trouble with the low and high E strings and the B string. Then I managed to get the high to ring out with the A, D and G. But when I get the Low E to ring out, the B string was bad, and vice versa. I could get one but not the other. Yesterday, however, the chord was ringing out all 6 strings for the entire 2 minutes of practice, very thrilling. Alas, today, not so much, but at least I know it’s possible.

F chord cheats

Fmajor 7, not a problem. Fmajor 7/C, pretty much not a problem either. Mini F? freaking disaster. I cannot get the 2 thinnest strings to do anything but “thud”. Consequently, the Perfect Fast Changes of F mini to D has been ridiculous to do as I can’t get 1 F mini chord more than half perfect. So, I’ve dropped that from my practice routine and instead putting in a 3 minute Chord Perfect just for the mini F.

PFC C to Fmaj7/C and PFC Fmaj7 to G

Since I’m doing these perfectly, I’ve been lucky to get them around 30 per minute.

C Major Scale - 2 mins

I figured this wouldn’t be so hard as I’d been practicing the Open notes in Module 8, yet suddenly, it became hard so just plugging away at it, forward and backward.

Pinky Workout - 2 mins This just feels awkward. I don’t know if it’s because my fretting hand is simply floating beneath the neck, or what, but I’m just plugging away at this, too. The hardest part is getting the 3rd and 4th fingers to separate.

Finger Practice Am to C to D to F to Am to E - 4 mins

I’ve created this because one of my songs is House of the Rising Sun and this is the chord progression. I’m still using the Bar chord version of F though Justin’s video uses the Fmajor7 which looks easier, but I figure do it the hard way for a while and see if I can do it. If I can’t, then Fmajor7 to the rescue.

Practice Dreams by Fleetwood Mac - 8 mins in the App, playing at 50%, since the F chords are still so new changing from it to anything other than the C chord has been difficult so, again, just plugging away.

Practice House Of The Rising Sun by The Animals - 9 mins Also playing this at 50%, very hard going from D to the F bar shape, so plugging away.

Californication Riff :slight_smile: - 4 mins I have yet to try this, it looks complicated, haven’t even watched the whole video yet, I seem to just not have enough time. One of these days!

Also practicing pieces of Module 8 when I have the time as well as the 2 songs. Wonderwall and Good RIddance. Not today, and not yesterday, as I said, just need to find more time. Maybe tomorrow.

I’m really trying to perfect the Wish You Were Here riff as I’d like to learn the whole song (was practicing the App version a couple modules ago, but, again, dropped it for lack of time.)

So, I spent 6 months on Grade 1, I suspect Grade 2 is going to take longer. Time management is definitely going to be tricky; the songs definitely seem harder now.

oh yeah, the ends of none of my fingers hurt now. :smiley: All equally calloused.

9 Likes

All sounds good good good, Rebecca.

Always a treat to celebrate something and in this case I am cheering along at the news that your fingers don’t hurt.

Keep doing what you’re doing.

Enjoy

1 Like

Only got 39 minutes of practice in today, most of it before I mowed acres of lawn and trails. When I finished, I discovered that holding the guitar caused aching in the middle of my back, I barely managed 5 minutes. Rough trails out here! Note to self, do all practice before mowing!

Still can’t get the hang of the mini F chord, maybe got it to work twice in the last few days, but otherwise pitiful. The only time I sort of managed it my first finger was laying down sideways.

Everything else in Mods 8 and 9 are going okay. Song learning is slow simply because I’m slow changing to and from the f Bar chord. I can play it but not very fast.

Tomorrow I have to leave for 3-4 days and will be without my guitar. Maybe the time off will help? Probably not, we’ll see.

3 Likes

Mowing! That’s my field! (pun very much intended). :smile:

Don’t worry about mini F Rebecca, you’ll get there. Experiment and play around with finger, hand and arm position. Don’t be afraid to go up the neck with it.

Maybe try just fretting the first two strings. See how many different ways you can do it. Go up and down the neck with that and then add the second finger….etc…etc

Twice is better than not at all.

You’ll find it and make it PEACHY! :smile:

1 Like

And sometimes I think it is ok to just move on, Rebecca, without guilt. Later you may come back to the chord and all the development and practice enables you to play the chord you struggled with. I think it may on balance to progress without becoming stuck and perhaps demotivated and frustrated.

This was my experience with G7. Just couldn’t make the stretch and fret the notes in year 1. A few years later I wanted to play a song that used the chord and found I could play it without a problem.

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca,
What David says here about sometimes just continuing and coming back to it later is really very important … I don’t do anything else … try … fail fail :tired_face:continue… fail agian sometimes :grimacing: … and eventually Tadaaa …succeed and thinking “why was that so hard???” :sweat_smile:
Greetings and wish you strength without a guitar for so long :flushed:

3 Likes

Started Module 10 this week, watched the first 3 lessons, added the weak G and the bar A to my module 9 practice session. I’m also planning on a OMC for Am to Dm as that happens at the end of House of the Rising Sun. It’s been a long time (okay, 2-3 months? lol, since I practiced Dm.

Dropped playing Dreams and the Californication Riff though I may add the riff back in at a future date.

I’m finding these, PFC C to Fmaj7/C and PFC Fmaj7 to G, pretty easy and consistent now so thinking of dropping them from my practice session. I’m using these chords on some of my songs so I’m not ignoring them.

The mini-F chord I hit a few more times, usually not though. Only way is by using the side of my index finger, so I guess that’s what I’ll have to do.

Song Practice

I’ve increased the APP speed on:

House off the Rising Sun to 60%, (I see 70% coming any day as my F bar chord is improving steadily.)
Practice Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day to 70%
Wonderwall to 60%

I’m still having speed problems with the 2 CCR songs so I’m thinking of playing along with the vocal track to see if I can improve my rhythm, could be my own singing is throwing me off Yeah, I also may try not singing for a while, too.)

I’ve re-watched Justin’s video on One by U2 and I’m getting the hang of it at one down strum per bar, while I memorize the chord progression. I need to make my own print out of the words so I can write the chord changes on top, the lines are just too tight in the songbook to be able to know what goes where. Then I’ll make it 4 beats to each bar.

I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned that I dropped Blondie’s Dreaming from my Repertoire Revision because it’s just in the wrong register for my voice. Ah well.

I noticed something interesting in playing one of my songs, can’t remember if it was Good Riddance or Wonderwall, but depending on which chord I am coming from; D or E in going to G, I will either play the 2 finger G or the Big G, it just comes naturally, I found that rather cool.

Okay, time to watch another lesson.

7 Likes

Bravo, Rebecca, sounds like you are making good progress, being well-structured in your approach to learning and practice.

You mention dropping Dreaming due to it being in the wrong register for your voice. If you really want to play that song, more than just it being a good choice to enable practice, then you have two options to address the register issue.

Firstly, you could transpose the song. Any song can be played in any key theoretically. The issue being that not all chords can be played as open chords in standard tuning. They can be played as barre chords, though again to get the progression sounding right one may be challenged by the barre chord shapes required. I don’t know the chords of Dreaming so no idea if this option is a possibility.

Secondly, you can make use of a capo to be able to play the song in a different key using the same chord shapes. If the song is lower than your register then putting on the capo raises the pitch of the chords and could easily suit your range. When the song is above one’s range it used to baffle me how raising the pitch of the chords would allow me to sing it. The trick there is that the melody notes as played in the chords are higher pitched and you sing those notes an octave lower. Hope that makes sense, tricky to explain theory based ideas without knowing how much theory you know. But you don’t need to know the theory, if you have a capo just experiment by playing the song with it on various frets until maybe you find that place where you can sing the song.

Have fun and keep on keeping on!

2 Likes

Still plugging along in Modules 9 and some 8 for the 3/4 stuck chord songs. Watched some Mod 10 lessons a couple weeks ago but haven’t really tried anything there. I’ve been so busy with family visits and the heat and humidity without having air conditioning has been dreadful the last few days and sucks the energy out of me. But I’m managed at least 30 minutes a day practice except for one where I could only squeeze in 9 minutes since my last post. But the last of the family is leaving for Texas tomorrow and the weather is going to break, they say (60sF!!) tomorrow so, I’m hoping for more practice time in the near future.

I did get a delivery of 12 orange Dunlop .6mm Tortex picks yesterday. The red .5s just weren’t cutting it anymore. :grinning: :guitar: Also need to order a new strap for my red PRS so I can put the purple one back on my Bullet.

Oh and probably dropping some of the F chord practice as the bar chord is doing well. Still need to work on mini F, it comes and goes.

(edit:typo)

3 Likes

Well, don’t have much progress to report, still having time management problems but for the most part I’m trying to squeeze in 45 minute practices. Still modules 8 and 9. For module 10, though I’ve watched more than half the lessons, just seems, too distant/hard/complicated/time consuming? Hard to describe, I don’t feel comfortable trying any of it though I have tried doing the alternate picking on the C major scale the last couple of days, that’s not going too well yet, just like Justin suggested, I have to say up, down out loud or it isn’t going to happen correctly!

Song wise, I’ve been able to increase the speed of the App songs Wonderwall and Good Riddance to 80%. I was playing House of the Rising Sun at 70% and then Musopia finally changed it from 4:4 time to 6:8 time and that went out the window. So now, 6 down strums per bar and even 50% is too fast because I can’t switch from the D to the F barre chord fast enough! Fortunately, today I discovered the song is in one of Justin’s songbooks and I can now practice it at a much slower speed. Looks like I’ll need to add a one minute change of D to F in my practice assistant.

Speaking of F, my mini barre is improving. I tried that in HotRS but my fingers automatically try for the full F so I’m sticking with that for now. It is still better than my min F anyway.

So far, these 45 minutes haven’t allowed any repertoire revision, so I have to figure out something, even if it means increasing practice to more than an hour.

I’ve added Fleetwood Mac’s Dreams back in my song practice but it’s so boring with just 2 chords for 95% of the song I’m just really using it to practice the G to Fmaj7 changes. I’ m sure it will get better once I can speed it up past 70% and add the singing to it.

And I’m having trouble with tensing up. My left hand cramped up today during Wonderwall, I really, really, REALLY dislike the stuck 3/4 chords. And for some reason the tip of my index finger on my fretting hand hurts on and off, deeply beneath the callous, like a bruise.

Well, that’s enough bitching and moaning. Maybe next time I’ll have happier news! :crazy_face: :guitar: :guitar:

4 Likes

Rebecca,
Think of the learning process like climbing a mountain… some areas are steeper than others, sometimes you slide backwards a bit, have to move laterally to find better handholds or just rest to catch your breath! But Justin is our lifeline that keeps us from falling… just keep your focus and remember your goals! Keep going, girl! You can do this!
BTW, how is your husband’s bass playing coming? Are we going to see the two of you play together sometime soon? That would be cool!!! :sunglasses:

Tod

1 Like

I don’t know if this helps, but when I am short of time to practice, one day I will do the learning stuff and the next day I will do revisiting songs. I repeat this practice schedule. I find that it also helps having the day off from the learning stuff occasionally as well so that when you go back to it on the alternate days, the previous session seems to have ‘matured’ in the brain and seems slightly easier.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, while installing ductwork under the floor he cut the tip of one of his fingers badly and until it heals, he finds he can’t play at all. At least he’s still watching video lessons. He also is complaining about the arthritis pain. He does have a couple of badly swollen knuckles. sigh

I shall keep climbing the mountain! One of the other things I am doing is finally cleaning up my sewing/music room so that it’s more pleasant to be in. Maybe I should actually do a bit of sewing, may get my mind off of my guitar frustrations!