LizW - February 2022 - Tears For Fears, 4 Non-Blondes

My first go at this and I’ve submitted the first take so it’s “live”. Why is recording so scary?!! :scream::scream::scream: wanted to do this early doors before I watch everyone else and get scared…

Tears for Fears - Mad World

4 Non-Blondes - What’s Up

28 Likes

Nicely done! Your musical background is serving you well. The strumming looked very comfortable and relaxed and the embellishments and “stuck” chords were spot-on. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

excellent effort for your first time. keep going

1 Like

Thanks Dave!

Wow, just wow!
That was an excellent debut to posting on the community, you playing and singing was very good. I liked in the second half where you put some meat into your vocals, it was ace! Your guitar playing was consistent and accurate plus you added some nice embellishments; very well done - your piano and I would guess singing experience shows in this piece, excellent!

1 Like

Thanks Darrell, playing is still quite basic but it’s getting better :+1:t2:

1 Like

Liz what a marvellous performance, I hope you’re proud of yourself. Gorgeous tones both vocally and strings, a groove that’s steady and a dynamic interpretation that’s expressive and reflective of the lyrics.

1 Like

Thanks Batwoman! Love the name by the way, I have a bat tattoo and a collection of bats so I get called that too :bat::smiley::+1:t2:

1 Like

Liz, there’s a lot going on here that is good and you’ve made a great debut in avoyp. You are already singing and playing with confidence - red light syndrome notwithstanding.
I’m going to ask you to do eomthing that I have just done (having watched your video twice beforehand).
Press play with the volume down. When the 25 second marker comes along look only at your strumming arm. Watch it closely. Think about what you see (volume down). When the 50 second marker comes along see what happens. Something different.
Okay - can you figure the point of that task? What am I trying to get you to focus on and encourage you to be aware of so you can make adjustments and improve?

Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow Liz! That was great. You really have good timing and nice voice.
Play on!

1 Like

Super AVoYP debut Liz. I was going to mention your strumming but Richard beat me to it. Lovely clean chords with embellishments and your vocal was terrific, especially in the second half.

I’m looking forward to hearing more from you. Well done.

1 Like

Well played and sung, Liz. I see that Richard already has pointed you towards keeping your strumming consistent and the arm in motion, which is the only thing that jumped out at me in your recording. Very much enjoyed your vocal and the way you built energy in the later part of the song. I’m looking forward to your next performance!

1 Like

Well done Liz on your first post. Great voice, and coming along well on the guitar for 6 months. Looking forward to your progress.
Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Well done Liz, one of the first songs I played along to. Wish I could sing whilst playing!

1 Like

Hello Liz,
Amazing voice :sunglasses:, but you already knew that if you’ve been working on music for a while, … I think your guitar is also very good for the time you’re playing , and you have already received the attention points above, keep posting and you receive free tips … and regarding the question in another post … if you are in your 40s you are still very young, only when you have passed 50 that ship has passed :smirk: … …although those rules may change in 2 years’ time :innocent: :shushing_face:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

A very nice rendition of a great song! Guessing you’ve been playing a while?

Anyone who has an upside down parrot profile pic is ok in my world :smiley:

I’m dialing in the ‘echo knob’ on my amp to all the above, albeit with a tad too much ‘delay’

Message me if you fancy joining in a very informal open mic for our wonderful moderator Richard (Close2u) on Sat 2 April. We cater for all levels and love new faces (even old ones :wink:)

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:

What a fantastic debut here in AVOYP, Liz.

I loved the intro riff, your playing was smooth (not saying more on strumming until I see a reply to Richard’s prompt to review the video), and what about the kick up in vocal energy in the second rendition of the chorus with the intro riff added that took already fine vocals to an even better level.

The recording process becomes more comfortable over time. But that moment of committing with the pending exposure of sharing with associated vulnerability, means there is always some increase in adrenalin at the start. Over time hopefully (I’m still working on it) it gives one an energy boost in performing, rather than a detractor.

Keep doing what you are doing and look forward to more.

1 Like

That’s awesome, you’ve done very very well. It’s a song I’ve been playing for a few years now, I think I learned it from Justin. Big round of applause for you.

1 Like