Madman's Diary - Blues for Twenty Two Lick 1 (Chapter 13 Jan 2022)

Thanks Stefan, glad you enjoyed it. :sunglasses:

Thanks Darrell !

I planned to go up the dusty end (15 / 17) and repeat the “focus” lick in the higher octave, then back to the G on the 10th fret (D) but spent a bit too much time in Pattern 1, 2 & 4. I can only agree that the bends were not at there best on this recording and again I think down to tension, as I have been nailing them recently. And yes vibrato was planned for the “holding” notes but it all went out of the window with the darned “record” button. Vibrato is getting better doing the finger style stuff so its there to use. But thanks for the comments of progress much appreciated.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good to see and hear you Toby, :sunglasses:
And thanks for reminding me again that I absolutely have to play 1 lick every 5 minutes( at least), as Justin has often told us…and not right immediately after 1 ,immediately another, and 1 more etcetera …otherwish it doesn’t come right up in my head during a backing track later that day.
I’m starting right now … after a little more reading :blush:

A laid back groove here Toby, easy on the ear. Thanks.

Mari

Humble apologies, could have sworn I replied, Thank you for listening, yeah there are things going on and its moving in the right direction. It will be one of the focussed items this year.

The Diary was always going to be a feature of the new house, it was just a matter of when. As good a time as any after some reasonable lick work at the weekend and a couple of days, sorting the OM songs out. More to come.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

Not quite horizontal but getting there ! Cheers Maggie. :sunglasses:

Rogier

Thank you sir. Yes its the only way to do it. With the new licks I have been learning, I will play each one and only that one over its backing track, maybe a couple of loops of the track. Then I’ll move on to the next and finally get to the next one I am learning. As I said to Gordon, that’s why I’ll limit it to 10 on the work bench. And then do another one of these recordings when the timing is write and I have mapped it out around the neck. But hey I get to listen to a lot of Blues doing this so win win all round !

Cheers

Toby

Watched the video diary and it’s a good example of a way to approach learning. I wish I was the same! I’m still struggling with planning and executing my learning.
Your playing video seems to confirm your working your plan well. Enjoyed it!

Hi John

Appreciate your comments. My biggest issue will be sticking to the plan. Around this time each year I map out what and how but after a month or two I slide out of discipline. I want to change that this year and have just been going through the lesson re-writes and new stuff. Just watched the timeboxing lesson and now need to rethink strategy to have shorter more focused sessions.
And now I watching “movable chords” and want to factor that in as well !!
Job for the weekend, review and rewrite the plan. :smiley:

The playing could have been better but yes the strategic approach is adding some benefits. More of these to come !

Cheers

Toby

@TheMadman_tobyjenner no worries at all my goodness I just found this reply right now and it says posted a day ago! The activity on the new platform is great but I cannot keep up with all of it.

1 Like

It is really busy to be honest which is great but somehow I feel that we are not getting equal amount of posts in AVOYP comparing to other sections. On the old forum I sometimes needed to split listening to others recordings over the period of couple days and now it’s usually one recording a day or less. Old regulars are slacking off or going through some sort of hiatus :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Adi

It might also be down to how folks have notifications set up. I moved all the high/top level Categories to Watching thinking that way I would get advised of all new posts but that never happened, so I have done that again at the next level down or on specific threads like AOVYP. I’ll trawl back through “Latest” and discover things that have not been flagged. So its not as open as the old forum platform or obvious, would be a better expression.

On the recording front, my gut says we normally get a fall off in the new year then it ramps up again. No stats just feel. But I guess that is highlighted by the influx of folks from the website and naturally posting in other areas. They may also be reluctant to put their comments to recordings, which we have seen before, the view being I have just started so can’t really contribute.

Anyway its still early days and most things are good.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

That might be true actually, when I first started in here I was toggling through Unread category and after discovering Latest tab I found out I am missing a lot. So now I check out every thread even just to untick it from my list and those I don’t have much input on I just mute to avoid too many notifications.

Interesting observation on recording early in the year, I will try to remember about it next year to check if there is a pattern :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Some nice licks in there bro, think I’ll be stealing some of those lol.

Thanks Dave, apart from the one I explained in the intro (R-b7-5-b7-R-b3-R), the others are from Justin’s Blues Lead course and are part of the 5 Pattern 2 (D shape) licks he presents, just shifted down to G to fit the BT. Take whatever you lick, use and abuse all part of the game. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Toby, this lazy baby blues player would love a little spoon-feeding. Could you pop the yellow box diagram for the relevant scale in the chat. I’m happy to check out the notes of the lick in my go to key, work out the fingering etc. OK, that’s not much once I have the yellow box diagram to help me down the blue brick road.

Toby, hello my friend, your SG sounded very convincing and powerful, great solo work, you are on the right track!

Mike

Thank you Mike much appreciated. On the right track but way back down the dusty road. :sunglasses:

David

No I’ll go one better. But you will have to fill in the missing pentatonic intervals to make the scales up it will do you good :rofl: This is essentially what I was playing. BT was a slow triplet style 12BB in G 60 BPM.

First diagram shows the R-b7-5-b7-R-b3-R in the positions I played (planned for the A shape !). You can do these as repeats but first time round pull off from Root to the b7. They’re triplets, so let the last root ring out to the end of the bar. I colour coded each group.

Second diagram are the boxes within boxes (ie with the pent minor) that you can stay in all day. Suggested bends are shown and also the Blues note b5.

But you’ll see there is an overlap between the diagrams, use that to create a pathway between the lick groups on diagram one.

What I did do before hand, as I had to transpose Justin’s licks from A to G and take the “TrueFire” lick and use it to build the same lick on the higher octave roots, was to create a Guitar Pro file showing the tab. So this acted as my tutorial on how to bring each of the licks together. Remember I said elsewhere improvising also requires planning while you are still learning the licks and how everything fits together. Learn it then go freelance on the backing track and label it Impro. For copyright reasons I have had to leave out the D string Root licks shown in the box diagrams.

Hope that helps a little. Always willing to share !

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

Great stuff as always Madman…enjoyed your story and playing