Major Scale Pattern 1

I just started Grade 4 and learned the 1st Major scale pattern. Justin’s example is in the key of G. I have a silly question because I have a terrible habit of going to other YouTube videos to confirm what I have learned.

If I apply this same pattern, but let’s say starting on the 5th fret of the E string (A note), would this be calling it the major scale in the Key of A? I would keep the same major shape/pattern but just begin everything on the A note.

For example, if someone told me to play the major scale in the key of B, can I apply this same pattern/shape anywhere on the fret as long as it starts on B because B would be the root note? Man, asking questions about this in writing is tough, lol.

1 Like

Yes!

Each pattern has a root note. Start that pattern on that root note and its that scale.

So you have 12 frets on the E string, pattern 1 would be any of those 12 notes/keys if started on that notes fret.

The trick next is to learn the other patterns so you can play any key in the same position just by using the right pattern that hits the root note under your hand.

2 Likes

Thank you! Things are adding up! Slowly lol

2 Likes

Yes that is the nice thing about the guitar. Once you learn a scale pattern you know it in all 12 Keys just by moving the root.

4 Likes

Hey Jesse,

Just to add to what @stitch said.

Certainly not a silly question. Quite.the opposite. You’ve discovered the first critical piece of building your mental framework on the guitar : root notes.

Cheers Shane

4 Likes

Would that then be a change of “mode” too ?

R

2 Likes

Thanks Shane. As painstaking as it is, chipping away at memorizing where the notes are is starting to pay off a little.

1 Like

@Libitina it applies to everything on guitar. This is how the CAGED system works and the foundation of how a guitar fret board is laid out.

2 Likes

No, you’d be playing the same scale patter / mode with a new root note

If you played this pattern (1) then moved up the fret using the same scale but patter 2 that could be said to be changing mode ( but not the Ionian, Dorian, Phrygia kinda mode…)

2 Likes

Hi Rob,
Maybe I misunderstand you, but you have modes in series and modes in parallel… so I think that’s what Rick also means by it (I’m guessing)
Greetings

(Ps: this is a nasty modes bomb for some :grimacing: :smile:)

2 Likes

[Backs away slowly…]

3 Likes

I may have misunderstood @Libitina question.
I thought she meant if your playing in a mode and moved the pattern up would you still be playing the same mode but in a different key. But from the replies Now think she meant "Are you changing to a different mode. So the answer would be No, unless you stayed in the same Key.

This would be the difference.
If you’re playing the E shape(pattern 1) of the major scale and move the whole pattern up a full tone you would be playing the in next major Key. for example moving the G major scale (pattern 1) up two frets you will now be playing the A major scale.

If you stay in the G Major scale(pattern 1) but start that scale on the note A (second note of the scale) as your tonal center you are changing Modes. From Ionian to Dorian.

2 Likes

No, it would be a change of key, but still playing the major scale (so all Ionian mode).

As @stitch says, to change a mode you can play exactly the same scale you have learned, but start and end on a different note. It’s all about the…

It’s neat that by learning just the one pattern you have now got the major scale in all 12 keys PLUS some of the modes in A, B, C, D E and F#.

2 Likes

And if you dive deep enough down that :rabbit: :hole: 3 minor, 3 major pentatonic and 1 diminished scales on the same placement of the fret boards. It’s scary what you can do with 7 notes.

1 Like

Now I’m with you :slight_smile:

R

1 Like

Ok, I have read through the previous answers on this but still have a question. I understand that moving the shape up with the Root note on the A changes the mode and the key. If I wanted to stay in the same mode but only switch keys, is there a lesson that addresses how this is done?

1 Like

If you mean moving the G major scale pattern 1 up by two frets and starting instead on the A, then you are changing the key, but not the mode.

The original G major scale is ionian mode. The A major scale you play will also be ionian mode.

1 Like

Modes is a fairly advanced concept. I just looked and there are some lessons but they are subscription only. He does mention modes in one of Lees’ lessons, around 35 min mark.

But I think you need to be very comfortable with the basic scales (major, pentatonic, etc) , before you start concerning yourself with modes.

1 Like

A summary to bring several questions and answers together.

Yes. It is a movable scale pattern. The root note determines the key / name of the scale. The pattern stays the same and gives a major scale:
Do Re Mi Fa So La Te Do.

I would advise caution. The trick is to gain decent mastery of pattern 1 in several keys / positions on the neck before learning further patterns.

No.
Modes are something else much further down the line. This is simply the fact that the scale patterns being learned are movable. When the root note and the pattern move, the major scale is being played in a different key. Try to avoid that modes question if you’re just learning the major scale from the beginning.

If you’re playing modal music and want to switch key, you will be playing movable patterns so use the concept of moving the scale pattern. Modes topic here: Modes Parts 1 - 9

2 Likes

Ah, you have written a long post about modes. That should cover everything people need to know. But I think this is the best advice…

I’ve been working on pentatonic scales over the past year. I do try the G maj scale pattern as a finger exercise, but I can’t see myself actually using it in for quite a while. As for modes… :man_shrugging: