Major Scale Theory

Thanks Richard; I hadn’t seen those videos. I just watched the first one, and it does seem like good video series.

1 Like

Is there a reason that the Notes in Column 1 are ordered CGDAEB…instead of just CDEFGA?

3 Likes

This is the order of the Circle of fifths. G is the 5th of C
D is the the of G and so on.
It is also the order of sharps C has 0# G has 1# D has 2# on so on
This is how you know what Key sheet music is writen.
If you see ### 4/4 at the beginning of sheet music it is in the key
of A and 4/4 time

4 Likes

You can order the scales any way you like, but as @stitch explained, this way you will see the relationship between the scales immediately (i.e. you start with C major and continue with degree V, and so on) and it will make major scale theory much much easier to understand.

Besides, the order of the scales is uncannily similar to that of the open strings :wink:

3 Likes

@stitch @Jozsef I asked the question before I filled out the worksheet, then saw it was ordered by how many sharps or flats. I don’t understand the significance of the Circle of 5ths yet, but I know that it will get explained in the course as I carry on.
Thanks guys!

3 Likes

Read this for my account:

1 Like

Tone and simetone on the note cicle there are lines a totole of 12 4 lines is a tone 2 lines is simitone

1 Like

Hello @Slimline45 and welcome to the community.
Unfortunately your post is not clear in meaning.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

Should I play the notes from a scale in a consecutive order?

1 Like

Hi @popaqy

When practicing a given scale/pattern, then yes. When improvising over a backing track, it’s up to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@popaqy

Georgi, once you have learned the scale up and down, then you can introduce different patterns, like play a note skip a note, go back, skip etc so the pattern would be 1 3 2 4 3 5 etc

These patterns are helpful when you come to improvising, eitehr to use them or just to have broken out of the up and down sequence.

1 Like

Hello @popaqy welcome to the Community.
Are you just learning the scale and getting the pattern into your muscle memory at the moment?
If yes, you want to be aiming to play it non-stop for three error-free full cycles of:
lowest root note to highest pattern note down to lowest pattern note to lowest root note.
Then start playing the pattern in different sequential orders sucj as:
3-in-a-line (go up 3 notes, jump back down 2 to play another 3 in a row etc).
4-in-a-line (similar to above).
Playing in 3rds.
Playing in 4ths.
Once you have a really good working grasp of the pattern in both hands then it is time to stat making music with the scale over backing tracks. And definitely 100% you will sound better if you do not just run up and down linear note patterns of the scale but get creative and invent new ways of connecting the notes.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

1 Like

Yep me too. The answer sheet has an E# in the F# scale and an E# plus a B# in the C# scale. For my last two years of learning music I’ve been hearing there is no E# or B# note. And yet, there they are on Justin’s worksheet! Did I miss something in the video?

Also, the Gb scale has a Cb note. There’s even a Cb scale on the worksheet! I didn’t think Cb existed either. Very confused.

1 Like

The reason is when you write out a scale you use every letter once.
In the F# scale F is the 7th interval so it is written E# because the F has already been used
Also if you called it F there would be no E in the scale
F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#
Same goes for the other scales

Just wait until you learn about double sharps and double flats

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. So would I play an F note when I see E#?

I think the D in your F# scale should be a D#.

It is starting to become clearer how to apply the sharps and flats for these odd notes. It is like we are trying hard to maintain the rules when the reality calls an E# as an F, but we can’t due to the rules, so we flow along with it.

the overall music theory or science is interesting. Starting to see some of this when studying the triads…the way the notes are all over the fretboard.

1 Like

Thanks for catching the I’ll edit it .

Yes E# is still the F note

2 Likes

The next is “why not ?”
Great explanation Jason.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes. There is no other option. If you sharpen an E it is an F, It’s only down to the rules of not allowing a note letter in a scale to be repeated that it can’t be called F.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this will be helpful to anyone, but I noticed something I thought was interesting while looking at Justin’s chart and figuring out how many sharps or flats are in a given key.
Building upon the Big Six Essential Notes, if you look at the chart the progression of keys is CGDAEBF#C#, which you can visualize on the guitar neck as:
C D E F#
G A B C#
3rd 5th 7th 9th fret
So if you make C = 0, you could also write out:
0 2 4 6
1 3 5 7 so this picture show how many sharps are in each of those key. Each successive key contains the sharps of the previous key plus an addition sharp that is one semi-tone lower than the key.
For the flats you just go backwards back up the neck, so you have:
Cb Db Eb F
Gb Ab Bb
And numerically it looks like
7 5 3 1
6 4 2
Fb has the flat Bb, which is also the #2 position and each successive key has all the flats of the previous key. The newest flat is the note next in line up the chain.
A little mental gymnastics, but it helps me.
Cheers.

3 Likes