Major Scale Theory

Hey Richard,

Thanks a lot for your reply :slight_smile: !

So if I understand correctly a Do in solfege could be any of the notes in the note circle depending on the key of the major scale. In the key of C for instance we would have Do = C, Re = D, Mi = E, etc… Is that correct?

1 Like

@duartelearnsmusic Yes, that is right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Richard_close2u mentioned the ‘circle of fifths’ above. Did we already cover that?
I just got to the “Key Signatures On Staves” lesson, and had to come back hear to figure out why we’re in the DGDAEB… order (so that I could understand why the ‘order of #s’ is FCGDAEB…). Knowing the order on the Major Scale Worksheet are based on the circle of fifths (which I’ve heard of but don’t recall learning anything about yet) made me think I may have missed something earlier or I didn’t do a pre-req or something we’re assumed to know…?
Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe I’m running ahead of things (and I deliberately did not read the other comments in this discussion just yet because I love to figure out stuff myself) but whilst trying to figure out the logic in the scale chart I noticed the following:

• The distance between each key in the sequence CGDAEBF#C# is 5 semitones backward on the note circle

• The distance between each added sharp is 5 semitones backward on the note circle as well

• The distance between each key in the sequence (C)FBbEbAbDbGbCb is 5 semitones forward on the note circle

• The distance between each added flat is 5 semitones forward on the note circle as well

What I can’t figure out just yet is why F# and Bb are the first sharps and flats?
Is there a logic in that as well or am I indeed running ahead of things and will this become clear in a later stage?

1 Like

We typically start from the key of C, which has no sharps or flats, only natural notes.

Going clockwise around the cycle of fifths, we add sharps.

Key of G = 1 sharp: F#.
Key of D = 2 sharps : F# and C#.
Key of A = 3 sharps: F#, C# and G#.

So the next key has the same sharps as the previous one plus one extra.

Going anti clockwise we have the same principle but with flats.

Key of F = 1 flat: Bb.
Key of Bb = 2 flats: Bb and Eb
Key of Eb = 3 flats: Bb, Eb and Ab.

And so on.

So the sharps and flats are added in a fixed order. Mr. Cato’s key signature trick will help you remember the order.

The first sharp added is F#.
The first flat added is Bb.

2 Likes

I just started it but I’m really digging this major scale theory, it’s not only good for my musical knowledge and understanding but also good for a bit of :brain: training!

Everytime I look at the scale chart I see something new making it easier to memorize things.

Looking at C to C#

• The 1st scale is all natural notes
  • The 5th note of the current scale is the next scale
  • The 4th note of the current scale becomes sharp in the next scale

Cb to F

• The 1st scale is all flats
  • The 5th note of the current scale is the next scale
  • The 4th note of the current scale becomes natural in the next scale
1 Like

@floriske I use mnemonic phrases to remember the order of sharps and flats in scales based on the circle of 5ths.

For sharps the phrase is Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle, you just use the first letter of each word for each sharp.

So C major only has 0 sharps.
G major has one sharp which is (Father) = F#
D Major has two sharps which are (Father Charles) = F# and C#
A major has three sharps so (Father Charles Goes) = F# C# and G#
Etc…

For flats reverse the phrase to :-

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles Father

F has 1 flat which is (Battle) = B flat
B flat has two flats so (Battle Ends) = B flat and E flat
Etc…

The flats phrase is also useful for learning note positions on the fretboard but’s thats a different topic.

2 Likes

Hi, how long should I keep doing this exercise before moving on? I already done it twice with the note circle without any mistakes and I also done it without the note circle once without any mistake. Do I need to internalize everything first in my mind before moving on?

It seems you’re ready to move on now. You will, in no time, gain a working facility to know some major scales without having to think - the most common ones. But the option to figure them out due to a working knowledge will see you right.

5 posts were split to a new topic: I transcribed a jazzy melody and am unsure how to view it in terms of scale / mode