Matt’s Learning Log

Hello Matthew,

I aways enjoy LLs and seeing what everyone’s up to.
Coming along alright there.

One observation, and suggestion, if I may.

Your wrist appears to become quite ‘cocked’ when playing the C chord. Upon moving to the G in the video, your wrist is then required to make a significant, and quick, shift to the opposite orientation. Not that easy to do, and inefficient. This is slowing you down, and also causing accuracy issues.
Try bringing that wrist/ hand forward a bit, and you’ll likely find the change from the C to the G ( or to any other chord), much more fluid, with much less movement required.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Hi Shane

Thanks for the advice. I’ve watched the video again having read your comment and I see what you mean, specifically with C. I’ll see if I can adjust this when I do my practice later today. It makes sense that less movement of the hand is more efficient and even though playing like this doesn’t cause me discomfort right now, it might not always be so.

Thanks for taking the time to watch my video and comment

Matt

1 Like

Was off work this past week but wouldn’t say I got a huge amount of extra practice done. Continued with “Have You Ever Seen the rain”, adding the into and outro to it so I’m playing the whole song now. The main challenge is hitting the rhythm straight from the gun but that will come with more play-throughs.

I’m also playing a little of House of the Rising Sun again each day (my intro to finger picking). As a guide of where I am, I can manage about 65% of full speed at the moment. At the moment that requires my undivided attention and I doubt I could sustain concentration for the whole song. I mostly play round and round the chords without any backing track and just occasionally check in with the recording to check I’m not horribly out of rhythm. As I’ve mentioned on an earlier post, I don’t need to look at my fretting hand for this but do need to look at my picking hand for the time being. I need to devote some more time to this for 65% to become 80-90% in any reasonable time frame.

Each day I do try to play some of the songs that I can play already (my version of them), these are…

Bad Moon Rising - CCR

Heart of Gold - Neil Young

Used to Love Her - Guns N Roses

Hurt - Johnny Cash

More of the same planned for next week

1 Like

My biggest progress this week has been with finger picking House of the Rising Sun. Have maybe increased from 65% full speed to 75 or 80. Remembering which of the 3 chord sequences I’m on remains a challenge. I think the other challenge will be playing along to the song (and staying in time) when all of the vocals and instruments come in (the intro is easy to follow) but I’m not ready for this yet.

I’ve also got one of the little fills in Heart of Gold right after playing this song for so long. I had the right notes but was never quite in time… and now I am :blush:

I think I’ve changed my mind about my next track. It was going to be Everlong by the Foos but I think the rhythm is going to take a while so I’ll keep just practicing that in the background, just a few minutes each day on muted strings. I watched Angela Petrilli do an acoustic lesson of Dumb by Nirvana on YouTube which sounded cool. At first I looked at the chord shapes in the initial play through and nearly pressed exit immediately, but having watched the breakdown of it, with patience I think it will be doable. So that’s next!

1 Like

ah ah I know the feeling , you watch the stuff and think : I’ll never be able to play that !
But after breaking it and a bit of practice well … its not so bad after all

1 Like

As mentioned last week, I’ve started looking at Dumb by Nirvana. The recording is tuned a half step down so while technically I could do this early practice in standard tune (I’m not playing to backing music yet), it’s nice to have a second acoustic that I can leave tuned down. The main challenge is the verse as it requires a bit of string muting so the bass E string (E flat string if I’m being picky) isn’t ringing out loads. It’s got some slightly unusual chord shapes (relative to what I’ve played so far) but actually they’re not that hard.

Continuing to make progress with picking on House of the Rising Sun. I’ve noticed that as I’m speeding up I’m getting the occasional fairly horrible squeal from my strings. Need to work out which chord change this is happening on most frequently and try to eliminate it. Some string noise is inevitable but this more of a squeal which isn’t a nice sound!

Also spending just a couple of minutes each day on the picking pattern for the verse of Everlong (with muted strings). I know it will be pay off when I’m ready to learn it properly (maybe need a 3rd acoustic to leave in drop D :thinking: joking, honestly!!!)

1 Like

Had my first play through of Dumb this evening against the MTV Unplugged recording. Took a couple of listens to sync my playing with it but it came together nicely (and I can even pretend the cheering at the end of the recording is for me :joy:). I need to do a recording and listen back to check it sounds like I think it does, but it feels like real progress. It’s not that long ago that playing against original recordings seemed hard to wrap my brain around

Mostly consolidation over the past week or so. Have got Dumb (by Nirvana) to a point where I’m fairly happy with it. I’ve been practicing it on my Taylor Academy acoustic because even though it’s easy to play, it’s even easier on my nicer Taylor with short scale and lighter strings. I’ve included a quick recording of how it’s currently sounding (on my Academy).

I mention that short scale because one of my next two songs is going to be In Bloom by Nirvana on electric guitar. I’ve started experimenting with on my Telecaster which has a very noticeably longer scale to get to grips with. The bulk of the song is doable (it’s just moving a power chord shape around) but there is a little solo to learn that’s going to take some time. It’s not the most complex solo in the world but it’s a new challenge to me. It will definitely require muscle memory to get my left hand moving around instinctively with some bigger jumps than with the open chords I’ve been playing so far.

The other track I’ve started on is an acoustic version of Everlong by the Foo Fighters. I’ve been trying the verse strumming pattern (muted strings) recently so now it’s time to try to speed it up with some chord changes.

I think both of these tracks will be a challenge and take a little time to come together but I’m fine with that.

Acoustic guitar practice - Dumb by Nirvana

My focus this week has been on Everlong (acoustic). Getting more consistent with the main pattern in the verse, more speed required but it’s coming together. I have to practice it in short bursts as my left hand gets tired quickly keeping pressure on the strings to ensure the notes ring out. Is that normal when starting out with moveable power chord shapes (on acoustic guitar)? Maybe I’m pressing harder than I need to… it’s something to figure out. Have also started learning the pre-chorus. I can see the transition between the sections as something that’s going to take time to smooth out.

Also playing about with In Bloom, specifically the solo. I know from trying to learn the song previously that the solo (as short and simple as it is) will be the thing that trips me up. Initially I’m just learning the pattern of notes, getting some muscle memory in the fingers.

Have kept doing play throughs of what I know already and that’s another week gone by!

1 Like

when i trained on power chords my hands was tired after 5 minutes of exercises

1 Like

I also get tired quickly when playing just power chords on the acoustic. Most songs with power chords are played on an electric guitar where it is easier to press the strings. This practice is very good though to prepare you to play barre chords.

A quick observation. Most beginners do this, but I noticed that your guitar is leaning back so that you can see your hands on the fretboard and the front of your guitar. It is fine to do this now, but Justin says that eventually you should face the guitar forward and learn to play without looking at your hands. This will take a lot of practice, but it is something to work towards. It looks like you are having fun, so continue to have fun and you will continue to play and get better.

1 Like

Thanks Steve for reading my log and taking the time to comment. It’s reassuring to hear that others encounter the same issues and it’s not just me being feeble!

I think the angle of my guitar is something of a confidence thing at present. I can play the most common open chords (and F on a good day) without looking at my fretting hand. I suppose Dumb does have slightly less well practiced chords but it’s a fair point and something to work on in my next session.

And yes I am enjoying it. It’s nice to have reached that stage where I can play along with some music that I actually listen to (as opposed to some of the beginner tracks that you play just because they’re easy).

1 Like