Memorize Easy Songs

Thanks, those are awesome tips, I’ll definitely give them a go!

2 Likes

I’ve basically been working small bites and adding more until I have the whole song memorized. However, I have no musical background and no idea how to define the intro, verse, chorus, bridge “chunks.” Any guidance on that?

1 Like

How important is technique in learning the five songs to pass grade 1?

I’ve been working on memorizing my song choices and that’s going okay for the most part, but I am just straight strumming each chord and trying to keep time. Would it be considered important to learn beginner techniques as demonstrated in the song videos before moving on to grade 2 or should I just keep it simple for now? For example the muting and Thumb & Strum methods.

1 Like

Hi Howard and welcome to Community. I think Justin introduces some simple 8th note strumming patterns in Grade 1 so ideally you want to learn a few songs with good old faithful before moving onto the next Grade.

As to your question in chunks - easiest is to start with opening a song lyrics and usually those sections are broken down there. Example as per below:

1 Like

I made choices trying to cover all eight beginner chords with songs I had already practiced throughout grade 1. A couple of these songs do use old faithful — I’ll focus on that and maybe rethink the other choices.

That “chunks” explanation makes sense.

Thank you. This helps a lot!

2 Likes

Hi all, I think I might be missing the point of this lesson. I can see that learning 5 easy song is a good idea… but… all I am learning is the rhythm chords.

Now if I sat down and started playing the chords I am not sure that anyone would recognise the tunes. I know I don’t recognise them from just the rhythm track. So is the idea that you have the backing tracks on your phone so that you can play along to them when someone lends you a guitar and says “ok, play us a tune”?

Without the backing track, I would have to refuse even though I can play the chords from memory. I should add that I don’t sing and have no intention of starting to sing! :wink:

1 Like

Hi Tony,

The scenario is this. You find yourself at a party, potentially a campfire is involved, everyones had a few beers and someone hands you an accoustic.

Fancy guitar playing is not required, just a handfull of chords and a basic strumming pattern. You do need to sing but don’t worry because by the time you sing “hey where did we go” everyone will have jumped in with “days when the rain came” and your vocals will be drowned out.

Justin is just getting us all prepared for this scenario because the last thing you want to be doing is fumbling around on your phone or using backing tracks. It can only kill the mood.

7 Likes

Get them to sing it!

BTW, as you progress, you will be able to add embellishments, bass runs, some melody lines and generally guitar parts that make the song recognizable. (Like the intro to “Brown-Eyed Girl” or “Wish You Were Here”). These will serve you well when somebody hands you a guitar.

One last thing: I find that sometimes strumming along with an original song playing just by myself can be satisfying. No need for anybody else to be there.

6 Likes

Hi @jjw I agree with you on strumming to an original song, I love doing that. Limited at the moment as to what songs I can strum along to, but the choice is slowly getting larger :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @MorseMooseGreyGoose it is the singing bit that worries me. I would need to well gone before I would sing, but then I would be too far gone to remember the chords :wink: I like @jjw idea of learning and just strumming to the songs I like and saying no to anyone who asks at a campfire / BBQ. I will be strumming along soon at a party, but it is backing to a lead guitarist, much happier doing that. :wink:

4 Likes

Bradley @MorseMooseGreyGoose

I instantly recognised the lyrics, it one of those songs that most people of any age will recognise.
Michael

2 Likes

I have experienced several times, that a person is being handed a guitar, but doesn’t know the lyric and ask the peps there if they know this or that song, and always it either goes - Yes, is one from the crowd shouting and start singing or one almost whisper in the start and soon the crowd follow along. In such occasions, it’s the crowd leading and you just have to follow along with strumming and chords. - Like backing to a lead guitarist. — You can do it that way… it will work just as fine. No need to shy :wink: - :+1: :partying_face: :sunglasses: :heart: :pray:

5 Likes

:+1: :guitar: :+1: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Hobart,
Justin explains song structure (intro, verse, chorus, bridge) in his video on strumming dynamics, starting around the 1:37 mark. I’ve seen you posted this several months back but I hope this helps if you haven’t gotten it sorted out.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I haven’t really pursued the issue much, but I recently completed Strumming Foundations and will be doing Strumming Dynamics soon, so I will certainly be on the lookout for that.

2 Likes

So, confession time. I have been avoiding playing any songs up until this point, because I had a frustrating first experience playing a song. I feel pretty competent on the drills I’ve been doing now and feel I can play some stuff, but I don’t know how to identify an “easy song” and I don’t feel like I typically gravitate towards “easy” songs. I grew up on prog… the simplest I got was Styx growing up. So, here’s a playlist I put together. If I can get some help on identifying some easy songs or someone choose me out a 5 from the playlist then that would be cool and very much appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking to make it past Grade 1 & finally play some music! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Anthony @Snee
Had a quick look through your list, a lot I didn’t recognise so your tastes are different to mine.
Look on the song section on the website and you can filter out grade 1 songs and hopefully there are some that interests you. There are other filters and sometimes Justin gives a simple version as well as a complex version for a song in a later grade.
By the way welcome to the community.
Michael :+1:

I think this is still relevant…

1 Like

I agree with Michael. Instead of starting out with a list of songs you would like to play and trying to find easy ones, you will have better luck starting with a list of easy songs and seeing if there is anything there that you like. Justin’s song page is the place to get a list of easy songs.

Justin has a lesson on Hey, Hey, My, My, it’s pretty easy, although it has some single note runs that might be challenging (you didn’t say what level you are at). Of course, the single note runs make the song recognizable, which is very satisfying.

Simple Man is a very simple chord progression (C - G - Am, if I remember correctly) that is fun to play along with the original. It also has some nice single note riffage that makes the song recognizable.

If you can play power chords proficiently, I think there are lots of songs on your list that are approachable (although, I also am not familiar with many of those songs). I’m thinking Offspring, BTO, maybe. Maybe some of the Alice Cooper stuff.

Oh, Zombie is also a song that is often taught at the beginner level (Justin has a tutorial). Same for Ain’t No Sunshine.

3 Likes

@MAT1953 & @jjw1 Thank you for your responses and the warm welcome. I will definitely check that out Michael… I didn’t know that was a thing. I will explore the whole site a little more.

Your right though John, I didn’t mention current skill level because I don’t really know :sweat_smile: but I can do all the chords taught in this module * A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, & G *and switch between them all above 30 in 1 minute and most of them/the average switches is 55 with the highest amount I got was 82 seated because I also do it standing for Am to Em. I was also learning some other chords F & B never tried switching between barres yet though. I got my DDUUDU strumming down comfortably and I also learned the Major Scale… I think it was…?? The scale that goes 1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4 I also delved into some theory and ear training but I still haven’t played a song so I’d say I’m a nerdy beginner. :joy:

I do have a feeling I can do some power chords though. I never practiced, but after looking at them they always seem like they are only 3 notes played simultaneously while the other strings remain muted or unplayed.

So, game plan is I’m going to explore the website and its songs. Then check the internet for some easy songs and see what I can find. If I can’t find anything that interests me I’m going to stick with what jj got me! I appreciate the help again fellas!

2 Likes