Michael’s Brown Eyed Girl Cover - Ver 2 - with vocals this time

Jeff. @Jwaters
Yes already seen and liked it. I feel I don’t know enough to comment in detail on others videos, at this stage I tend to leave that to other more experienced community members.
It seems we are are about at the similar point on our journey, will watch your progress with interest.:+1:
Michael

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Michael. :clap: :clap:

Singing and playing for your first one, great stuff. Strumming and changes were really good and the chords ran out nicely. You’ve already identified what you need to work on, which is one of the joys of recording yourself.

Thanks Stefan @SgtColon
As you say I know what I need to work on.
I was pleased with the chord changes, if I was learning the song now I would play G with fingers 2 3 4, but that’s not how I learned more than a year ago so I stuck with 1 2 3
Michael

1 Like

Good on you Michael. Definite progress there, chord changes look good. I did notice a few stumbles on the rhythm, are you keeping that foot tapping? It does make a difference.

1 Like

JK @jkahn
You are right there was a couple of stumbles, when I got to end I realised I hadn’t tapped my foot, I usually do, I think I was concentrating on getting it in just one Take like an OM meant I forgot.
Something to remember next time.
Michael

Hi Matt and congratulations on your AVOYP, I think you did really well, chord changes and strumming were really good, I think that foot tapping would bring it a step up. I can’t say much about singing as I don’t know the song but I can see you were enjoying it and this means a lot! Keep it up…Learning and enjoying!

1 Like

Nice work Michael, and every element of the recording process you’ve described I think we’ve all been there!! Don’t ever be embarrassed for your singing, either before you took lessons or now, all that matters is you’re enjoying it, if we can all see that’s the case it’s all good!

Others have already given good advise so I won’t add anything further.

1 Like

Silva @SILVIA
Thanks, I was pleased with the chord changes but as was said before the rhythm was a bit fast. In terms of foot tapping it is the one thing that seems to get forgotten by me when there is a lot going on.

Mark @Notter
Thanks for the comments
I think I have stopped being too embarrassed about singing, of course that doesn’t mean I am any good. I find I need to sing along with a song so I know where I am with it, even at the guitar club when we are learning a new song, I will sing quietly it helps me to associate chord changes with the lyrics.

1 Like

You’ve identified a key area there when playing and singing together Michael. The chord changes and lyrics have to match. Even someone like Bob Dylan whose phrasing, particularly live, is all over the place, finishes a phrase on the beat and chord change.

Good job Michael. I agree with most of the other comments. Your overall rhythm and the chord changes are solid. The vocals aligned pretty well with the guitar, which is definitely a lot harder to do than you’d think.

Your self-analysis is spot on. Like Lieven said, slowing down the tempo ever so slightly will help you sing more melodically - rather than rhythmically. Looking forward to your next songs!

Gordon @sairfingers

Interesting discussion on playing and singing also a bit of a coincidence.
Let me explain, we have a had some lesson on blues from a guitar teacher, at the Guitar Club, this year rhythm, turnarounds, licks etc most of it above my skill level but interesting, nevertheless. Anyway, after his sessions he asked if he could join the club which he did because he felt we were a good bunch.
Will get to my point eventually. I don’t know his full back story, but he has played in local bands. He was asked last week if he had any advice for playing rhythm guitar live for novices like me. One if his responses was, singer dictates when you change chords, if you have to strum a few more times or less then so be it. the chord changes have to go with the lyrics.
My take on it is, in a live gig situation you are not taking an exam and marks not going to be deducted if you strum more or less before a chord change, you are making music which you are hopefully enjoying and so is the audience.
It might be a point that Lieven @LievenDV will cover in his series “How to prepare for a live gig”

Jeff @Jeff

Thanks for the encouragement.
I hoping to post one of my Grade 1 Songs each month

I’m not so sure that’s what he meant. You can’t change the length of a bar. If you did then you would be out of time with the drum/bass section. You can change the number of beats within the bar. Maybe that’s what he meant.

1 Like

Gordon @sairfingers
Yes that’s what he meant, I think, change the number of beats in the bar.
Michael