Michael's first gig

David @DavidP

You have not put me under any presume at all to perform at an OM, in fact it is a logical goal to have in mind.
I had intended to post a couple of songs on AVOYP that I did for a grade 1 pass, but practicing for the gig just took over but will get around to it in the new year.
Probably be in the audience for a few OM to get a feel for things and then dip my toe in the water.

Michael

Well what are you waiting for :rofl: plenty of seats available.
https://community.justinguitar.com/t/jgc-open-mic-xiii-13-call-for-interest/161158/77

Then a bit of toe dipping in March maybe ??

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Toby @TheMadman_tobyjenner
Thanks for the links and have got the dates for 2023. In terms of ‘toe dipping’ March might be a bit soon perhaps nearer the middle of the year is more realistic. Already started to think what song I might learn to do, not expecting it will be one that Justin has done a lesson on or on the app. So take that as positive response.

Michael :notes::guitar::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Well here is the video evidence, short extracts from each of the songs we did.

Make of it what you will.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year
Michael :christmas_tree:i

4 Likes

Hi Michael,
How nice that there is a video of your first Gig :smiley: :sunglasses:,…great man and it sounded really nice…be proud :clap: :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Great achievement ! A first concert is a good thing to add to your checklist. Be proud :slight_smile: :+1: :partying_face: :+1:

1 Like

A great achievement Michael and some really good observations and lessons learnt. Given how long you’ve been playing it’s a big step up BUT no better place to do it than with a group of people like that. I’m sure your competence and confidence will come on leaps and bounds as you continue to perform with others.

1 Like

Roger @roger_holland
Thanks for the comments and great from my point of view to have a record of the event.

Matthieu @math07
Yes definitely one off the ‘bucket’ list

Jason @Rossco01
Yes I learned an awful lot, especially what I need to work on. Playing with others is so different than strumming away at home by yourself.

1 Like

Well done Michael, that was great.

I can’t believe you didn’t get stage fright. What is the secret?

1 Like

Stefan @SgtColon

Unfortunately I don’t have the secret, but for me a few things came into play

I am in in my late sixties, if it had been in my twenties then it could have been different

I only really started to learn just over a year ago and realised early on that I wanted to put what I was learning to the test playing in front of people so it became an ambition and on my bucket list.

Of course I received great support from the members of the guitar club and was not playing alone. An OM might be different, something I am hoping to do this year.

I spent some of my career representing the organisations I worked for at meetings large and small. Also did some lecturing to fellow professionals so well used to standing up in front of people.

I practiced the songs, perhaps too much to the exclusion with getting on with Grade 2, so I was confident about that aspect and did have the chord sheets in front of me so it was not all from memory. The leader of our group also said if you get lost don’t worry just check the chord sheet and come back in, fortunately that didn’t happen. I think Justin’s advice also helped keep the rhythm going even if you play the wrong chord, most people won’t notice, I am sure I will have played the wrong chord in places.

So sorry don’t have the secret, but perhaps the one thing I would add is that I just wanted to do it.

Michael

1 Like

Thanks for that Michael. I wonder if the representing the organisations in the past did help.

It’s not often I get up in front of any one and do something.

1 Like

Stefan @SgtColon
I think you are right if you are used to standing in front of an audience of any kind before then it takes that concern away.
Michael😀