Missing app songs - Alternatives

I was a part of that discussion and have now seen the light! I’m playing along more to actual music now. I’m remembering songs better now.

2 Likes

And that’s the end goal Zed, glad it pushed you to try out playing on your own :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I take note of your request and understand it.
Nevertheless, I have felt compelled to alert Justin and team to this, just in case there are any issues / problems with what is being shared.

:slight_smile:

Yes maybe I am not a legal expert maybe you are ? But if you look at the tab from Dave’s tutorial I actually commented on, it is not a chord progression it is the tab of the melody line.

:sunglasses:

Not an expert just a guitar player :sunglasses:. Sounds like sharing melody line could be an Issue. Not sure if it would be an issue to share has long as not for profit, i can find stuff like that all over the web. Since the app has orignal music and lyrics that requires copyright. Sharing chord progression should be fine. :guitar: :drum: :musical_note: :musical_score:

It also seems to differ slightly to how its taught by Justin unless I’ve not been paying close attention to Justin’s lessons on WYWH which are still on the website. I think I’ve been learning more slowing down Justin’s video’s for the song, writing down what I can see and then checking to see if what I’ve interpretted sounds right.

1 Like

Its also been a good exercise using Guitar Pro. Though, I’m still getting the hang of notating music on the software. I can see the long-term benefit of being able to use the software more proficiently and being able to slow the bpm and use it to practice once I’ve mastered it.

Richard, I completely understand. I certainly don’t want to cause any more trouble for Justin and his team than has already been caused by the copyright holders yanking the rug out from under us.

I hope someone who actually has some legal knowledge on these issues will weigh in - most of what I’m seeing here seems like speculation. Well motivated speculation, to be sure…trying to protect Justin, I assume.

I am not a lawyer (though my father was, so I kind of understand the mindset). But it’s hard for me to imagine that posting links to other publicly available content will have any legal ramifications.

But of course, now I’m speculating too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Tom, it’s probably not a straightforward answer as it links and embedding could be viewed differently and likewise links to infringing videos. Its all a murky world when it comes to copyright from what google has told me. Thankfully, I never grew up to be a lawyer.

Maybe worth checking this out Are UG Tabs Legal and Does UG Pay Money to Artists for Hosting Tabs? Yes, and Yes | Music News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

1 Like

Me too. This has totally thrown me off.

This is the way Zed, it will totally surprise you how much easier it is to memorise.

1 Like

Brown Eyed Girl

Here’s a cover, with Tab.

I don’t play this song, so those of you that do (from the app), could you give some feedback?

Not sure what’s the difference between just using Justin’s song lesson, learning the chord progression and strumming pattern and playing with the original recording at reduced or normal speed.

The main difference to what you suggest:

• it’s a whole song, from start to finish
  • has vocals
  • shows a scrolling tab

But, as an app user, I’m really struck by what an inferior experience this is (this video, I mean):

• no lyrics
  • can’t turn off vocals
  • sounds like crap when slowed down (but maybe that’s my iPad)
  • herky jerky scrolling tab is hard to follow

But it was the best I found.

Just found this thread. good to ‘kind of’ know what happened. This issue hit right while i was in the space between beginner course 2 and 3 where Justin was saying we should play various stuff and put off going on to course 3 immediately. 6-7 of my favorite songs just vanished.

One I had written down because I wanted to play along to the original, another was simple enough that i remember it. The rest are just gone. I’m using Ultimate Guitar Tabs site. They seem great but their tabs seem to be intent on perfection… Which is not where i am at in my playing. I can’t do anything sounding like lead yet.

Anyhow. Its working, slowly though. The app missing songs is a real bummer. Seems they added a lot of songs that i look at and I’m like “Is there even guitar IN this song?” Probably is but I wouldn’t think of them as guitar songs.

1 Like

You might have better luck with lead sheets, which are usually just chords and lyrics. Just do a search for a song, and add “chords” to the search string.

1 Like