Modes Parts 1 - 9

We have now listened to seven variants of modal melody.

Each does sound different.

Perhaps in listening to each, starting at Lydian and moving towards Locrian, there is a sense of the mood of the melody changing. Ordering the modes from Lydian to Locrian has us moving anticlockwise around the Circle of Fifths, around the colour wheel. It also sees one new note lowered by a semitone (flattened) with each rotation. And many musical descriptions will describe this as moving from the brightest mode to the darkest mode. Somehow, it seems, flats being a sombre and foreboding character to the music.

Lydian – no flats, one sharp – bright.

Locrian – lots of flat notes – dark.

That is not really a meaningful why / how explanation, but I shall just place it there for the moment.

1 Like

What I would like to do next is to categorise our modes in to two groups of three and discard one altogether.

The two groups of three are the major types and the minor types.

Major types:

• Ionian (THE major scale);
  • Lydian;
  • Mixolydian.

Minor types:

• Aeolian (THE minor scale);
  • Dorian;
  • Phrygian.

Remember, major type scales have a major third and minor type scales have a minor third.

So much music makes use of Ionian and Aeolian that our ears are accustomed to hearing those sounds. There is probably value in hearing the same modal melodies side-by-side in order to hear the subtle differences, the nuances in sound a little more clearly.

1 Like

Here are the three major modes playing the melody already heard above in this order:

Ionian → Lydian → Ionian → Mixolydian all separated by four chimes of two C-notes an octave apart

Ionian sits in the middle of the three Major modes.

To move from Ionian to Lydian, one of the notes is raised by a semitone.

To move from Ionian to Mixlolydian, one of the notes is lowered by a semitone.

You will hear Ionian twice.

Ionian → Lydian → Ionian → Mixolydian

Here are the three minor modes playing the melody already heard above in this order:

Aeolian → Dorian → Aeolian → Phrygian all separated by four chimes of two C-notes an octave apart.

You will hear Aeolian twice.

Aeolian sits in the middle of the three minor modes.

To move from Aeolian to Dorian, one of the notes is raised by a semitone.

To move from Aeolian to Phrygian, one of the notes is lowered by a semitone.

Aeolian → Dorian → Aeolian → Phrygian

1 Like

I have deliberately chosen to start with, then move away from, then move back to Ionian and Aeolian as those are – supposedly – the ones our ears are most accustomed to. This sequencing may allow you to hear the divergence from the commonly used major and minor modes.

For this next section I am going to ask you to test your ears – after all, this modal malarkey is all about hearing the music – and take a quiz.

So, before that, please refresh your familiarity with the two groupings of three modes by listening to the modal melody tracks again, multiple times if you wish.

Listen to the audio tracks carefully, make sure you hear that each mode sounds unique and different from the others in its group.

Have you done that?

Do you think you know your Mixolydian from your Ionian?

Can you tell the difference between Dorian and Phrygian?

If you think you’re ready and well prepared here comes the big challenge …

It is QUIZ time.

Yay!

:sunglasses:

For this two part quiz, I have created a ‘major mode’ audio track and a ‘minor mode’ audio track. There are ten modal melodies in each. So there are ten questions - ten modes to identify by ear.

You should now be very familiar with the modal melody above. I have taken just the first half of the melody for each mode and randomly copy / pasted them into a new track. Each segment lasts approximately ten seconds and they are separated by four chimes of C. The entire tracks are both 2 minutes 17 seconds in length. The change in modes comes at you quite quickly so you may want to listen through more than once.

Can you identify each mode as it appears?

Ears at the ready!

Pens at the ready!

GO!

Modal Listening Quiz Part 1 - The Major Modes

• Play the audio track.
  • Listen to each modal melody - duration approximately 10 seconds each time.
  • Identify when you hear Lydian, Ionian or Mixolydian.
  • There are ten sections.
  • Write down your ten answers.

Good luck.

Modal Listening Quiz Part 2 - The Minor Modes

• Play the audio track.
  • Listen to each modal melody - duration approximately 10 seconds each time.
  • Identify when you hear Dorian, Aeolian or Phrygian.
  • There are ten sections.
  • Write down your ten answers.

Good luck.

Modal Listening Quiz Part 1 - The Major Modes - ANSWERS

Click to read …

Summary
  1. Lydian
  2. Mixolydian
  3. Ionian
  4. Mixolydian
  5. Ionian
  6. Lydian
  7. Mixolydian
  8. Mixolydian
  9. Ionian
  10. Lydian

Modal Listening Quiz Part 2 - The Minor Modes - ANSWERS

Click to read …

Summary
  1. Aeolian
  2. Phrygian
  3. Dorian
  4. Phrygian
  5. Aeolian
  6. Phrygian
  7. Dorian
  8. Dorian
  9. Phrygian
  10. Aeolian

How did you do?

In a coming instalment I am going to reveal how I have been misleading you all - just slightly, just a tiny little bit - by focusing only on melodies, melodies with no harmonic context. No chords, no chordal framework within which the melodies exist and operate. The big deal with modes is harmony and melody. In order to explore those two things together we will explore the chords associated with each mode, the function of those chords, the chords that reveal the unique nature of each mode and the crucial notes - often called colour tones or flavour notes - that set them apart from each other sonically.
See you there.
In the meantime …

Questions? Comments?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Bookmarked for further reference, very interesting!

1 Like

I scanned over this, Richard. I recall listening and being fascinated when you first published this on the Forum.

Oh, and did a little edit on the two posts that provide the answers to hide those answers, so nobody gets an inadvertent peak to ruin the fun.

1 Like

Thanks @DarrellW

Thanks @DavidP

You clever fella!
It got late when I finished so I just threw it out and didn’t explore the options to ‘hide’ text. I like it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That makes me think Ian Dury and clever Trevor :laughing:

The hide is easy. You’ll find it under the gear icon on the right hand side of the edit window format menu bar options.

1 Like

Good to see this back but will need to let my ears settle down and revisit the modes one at a time. A mainly Southern Rock Mixo Dorian fest/overdose last night has certainly clouded my hearing but I will return and maybe dust down the examples I wrote last year.
Modal Mojo Magic. :sunglasses:

1 Like

terrible, bombed. 3/10 & 2/10. why ??? I look ahead and see, no harmonic framing. I’m getting why now, when playing a modal progression with too many chords it just starts to sound like Ionian or Aeolian. Harmonic center, framing.

1 Like