Morning Has Broken - Fingerstyle

Well played and a good vocal too. As someone that likes to finger pick I found your rendition quite enjoyable. :+1:

1 Like

@RadekSiechowicz Radek, thank you for watching my AVOYP from November 2022 and your kind words. I went back and watched again and could find more mistakes in my playing, but thankfully I played with confidence and feeling, so it is still enjoyable for me to listen to.

@andyPlays Andreas, thank you for listening to my songā€¦ Happy that you enjoyed and was inspired.

@Jamolay Joshua, thanks for listening to my video and for the nice comments. Glad you enjoyed. I also add a song to my list every time I listen to a new song in the AVOYP section.

@pkboo3 Pamela, thanks for listening to my video and for your kind words.

@Sweed Thanks for watching and the nice comments. Since you are a finger picker, I have to confess that I feel like I am cheating a little bit by using a semi-random 3 finger picking style, since I donā€™t have to think about the picking pattern or what strings I am playing. I am just playing based on what sounds good and trying to follow the rhythm.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with free styling a song. Iā€™ve been away from the boards for awhile but, on the old forums my first fingerstyle song was ā€œLeader of the Bandā€. I played it from a chord sheet, with no clue how Dan Fogelberg played it. Just did my own thing :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks. Free styling the finger picking of the song does reduce what you have to think about as you are playing and singing. I have done ā€œLeader of the Bandā€ in the past at a small open mic event during lunch at my place of work before I retired. I have it on my list of songs to play and sing in the near future, since I have the chords in my song book.

Very nicely done Steve! No advice for you, just keep working on it and youā€™ll be there soon!
If you like Cat Stevens / Yusuf you might like this:

Good luck!

Tod

1 Like

Tod, thanks for the link. I had never seen Cat Stevens playing, so it was very enjoyable to watch.

1 Like

Oh good!
I personally love to see any of the artists that I like in a different setting! I was never a Cat Stevens ā€œfanā€ per se, but always enjoyed the occasional song by him & these NPR Tiny Desk concerts are fun to watch!
Glad you liked it too!

Tod

2 Likes

Very nice, I enjoyed listening to it. I have very positive associations of this song; when my son was still a small baby I would sing it to him acappella or just play it through Youtube on my phone. Funnily enough this is one song that Iā€™ve never had any problem remembering the lyrics for, so perhaps youā€™ll be able to commit it to memory too.

1 Like

This sounds lovely Steve! I didnā€™t detect the mistakes you wrote aboutā€¦you nailed the vibe of this beautiful hymn.

And now I remember youā€¦from the Killing me softly video! I remember that one because I love the song and I workedā€¦ooops over-worked on it fingerstyle and I remember I liked so much your strumming cover and wished I could strum it like that! I apologise ā€¦weā€™re just so many in this wonderful Community!

1 Like

very pleasant
thanks
i LOVE Cat Stevens
danny

1 Like

Wow, late to this party :rofl:

Well played and sung, Steve. Lots of wisdom expressed in your post text.

Youā€™ll notice in the original post that I changed the URL format to embed the video, rather than just the link.

1 Like

David, thanks for the helpful edit and the nice comments.

Sylvia, Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it. The Killing Me Softly video was one that I had made way back in the classic course and again in the new course, so I had a lot of practice. Iā€™ve been strumming for many years as a perpetual beginner, but I still benefited from the Strumming SOS course. I wouldnā€™t worry about not remembering. I donā€™t remember everything I have posted in the community now :slight_smile:

1 Like

A very nice rendition of a great song; well played. A real enjoyable listen.

1 Like

Thanks for listening and glad you enjoyed it.

Very Good Steve!
Thatā€™s a great song and you did it very well.

Iā€™m a Cat Stevens fan myself. I donā€™t do that one, but ā€˜kindaā€™ do the wild world thing.

You and me seem to be on the same trajectory imho.

Iā€™m with you here for sure. I could have said that near verbatim except it would have been me I was talking about.
You seem to have a better right hand control than me. Your tighter for a better word. Your playing is giving me ideas of what I need to work on.

I really enjoyed listening to your cover and your finger picking is inspiring for me.
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi Jim, thanks for listening to my video. Iā€™m glad that you enjoyed it.