My Introduction - hello from Ian in Ontario, Canada

I am Ian Bartlett, aka dustyoldchips, living in Arnprior, Ontario, Canada a small town west of Canada’s capital, Ottawa. I have had limited opportunities to connect with other artists. So much of what I know of guitar is through on-line instruction like Justin Guitar. I connected with Justin guitar at least 15 years ago, learned the basics of guitar and was able to play some songs, worked on blues rhythms and some licks but couldn’t play as fluidly as I’d like to. My favorite music is “blues” as I love the rhythms, the licks and the ability to improvise. I have made 3 guitars including a hollow body electric guitar that I will use for the immersion course. So here I am at 83 years old, as excited as a kid to finally focus on the blues. I know some theory and have worked my way through all the Beginner level class and some of the Intermediate classes. I have a lot to learn, and I expect my learning curve to be steep. I have the time and energy to put into this blues immersion course and look forward to better things to come. Thank you, Justin for bringing this course to life.

11 Likes

Welcome Ian. Its a solid and exciting story so far.

Do you have pictures you could share of the guitars you have made? That is so cool.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Ian! :smiley:

Kudos for making your own guitars! This must feel even more special to play on them. Amazing. :slight_smile:

Hello Ian & Welcome!!!
I’m happy for you to be able to focus on Blues with the BLIM course!!!
So Cool!!! :sunglasses:
I have to echo Shawn’s question… can you post pics of your homebuilt guitars? This is definitely something I am really, really interested in… still working but at 62 I’m getting closer to my retirement day… after that I’ll build a guitar, a hot rod chopper bike and/or a biplane… my wife’s already put in her vote for a chopper but the guitar will cost the least & sounds like a good 1st project to me!!! So, this is a long-winded way to express that I am all ears if you want to post about “Ian the Luthier”!!!

Tod

welcome :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum Ian

:wave:, Welcome Ian.

Welcome to the community Ian. I would love to see pictures of the guitars you built.

Hey Ian, welcome to the community. Look forward to hearing more from you

Welcome Ian,

home building guitars is probably far out of my capacities, but I appreciate the craftsmanship and I’d love to take a look at your work.

Hi Ian,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

Hi Ian and welcome to the Community.

I am a fellow Blimmer and like you really looking forward to the course !
Make sure you drop in HERE and say hi to the rest of the Immersion crowd !

:sunglasses:

Hi Ian, welcome to the community forum. I know you will have fun with the blues immersion course. I will be interested to see your guitars also. You said you made a hollow body electric, so wondered what were the other 2 guitars that you built - acoustic or electric?

Welcome and enjoy

Hi Ian
Welcome to the community :smiling_face:
I’d also love to see some pics of your guitars (please) :grinning:
Have a great time with BLIM! :sunglasses: :sunflower:

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the community.
A :+1:

Hello Ian.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and this fantastic community. Please take your time to look around and get to know the wider space.
https://community.justinguitar.com/categories

We are a supportive and encouraging group of students and guitarists from across the world. Essentially, we are all here for music and to improve as players. We truly are a ‘community’. Members help and support one another and a friendly, positive attitude underpins this. We hope that all - young or old, experienced or new players - adopt and foster the pay-it-forward ethos that Justin personifies and embedded all those years ago when he started the website and forum.

Also, please make sure to read the community etiquette announcement for some important information and guidance.

Richard
:grinning:

Attached are photos of the hollow body electric guitar that I have made and completed recently. Previous classical and streel strings guitars that I have made were all made from scratch. This beauty was a kit that I purchased from Solo Guitars. The body comes assembled but the flame maple top is unfinished, and not wired. The unfinished maple neck and Rosewood fingerboard come assembled with frets properly spaced and installed. All parts, pickups, bridges, knobs, switches, saddles, screws etc are included to complete the kit, along with the wiring assembly which needs to be soldered and installed. I’m a wood worker and not electrically inclined but thanks to buddy, Roger, we got the bits soldered together and installed. Feeding the wiring harness through the “F” holes is not a feat for the weak of heart. If I did this again I’d pay the $30US to have Solo, do it. I added a curly maple veneer plate to the front of the head creating a nice accent. Looking forward to hearing your comments.

3 Likes

That well impressive Ian. Bit of a mouthful but

Happy HMNGD !

:sunglasses:

That is really cool Ian!!! Love your homebuilt!!! She’s a beauty!!!

I’m still in the very early stages of figuring out how I want to get started with building “my” guitar… I hadn’t heard of Solo before! Thanks for the info!

Tod